How to Take-Apart an Isuzu Tranny - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to Take-Apart an Isuzu Tranny
Saturday, February 11, 2006 11:46 AM
I heard there were pic's of this. I followed the directions from the last thread that the same subject line, but cae will still not come apart.

Re: How to Take-Apart an Isuzu Tranny
Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:34 PM
the isuzu is a pain.

at the moment I'm pulling a blank, since I've been working on my getrag for the last 2 weeks........

I have the full disasembly out in the garage though, if I get a chance, I'll run out there and get it.

...... I've done enough of them, I should know it like the back of my hand, but at the moment all I can picture is my damn Getrag....... lol

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:40 PM
oh yea, make sure you pull the side cover off, pull off the 2 large nuts (use a screw driver or punch to straighten out the bent over tops). You might need to shift the trans into 1st and 5th at the same time (screw driver in the gear select area), it helps hold the shafts still. Then you need to use a punch to remove the pin holding the shift fork on. Make sure you have the reverse lock-out bolt pulled (long bolt in the side of the case) Once you pull the gears off the end, you have to remove some snap rings I believe, and now the top half of the case should come off.......

if I think of anything else, I'll post back.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 8:14 PM
Thanks Guys... I've got everything off you've mentioned now except for the (2) large nuts. I'll have to get an impact wrench unless yo have any ideas.
Sunday, February 12, 2006 2:14 AM
guys? shoot, I'm the only one that posted..... lol

I 'sometimes' use a screw driver, and wedge it inbetween the two gears on top....... so I can break the nuts loose....... I've never damaged a gear yet doing it (the gears are alot harder then my Craftsman screwdrivers)

Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:52 AM
Sorry Speedy. I had another post too. The other guy said to get a book. I've already got more from people like you that have done this before "WITHOUT A BOOK" !!! LOL...
Sunday, February 12, 2006 7:07 AM
Hey Speedy. Are you any where newa Fon du Lac ? I worked for merCruiser/MercuryMarine in Stillwater,Ok. for almost 21 years.
Sunday, February 12, 2006 12:57 PM
Okay... I got the (2) back nuts & Gears off. There is a big plate with (7) Torx Screws. Does it need to come off too? If so, are the screws left-handed ? I beat the Hell out of the with the Impact Driver trying to get them out with no luck.
Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:50 PM
yes, that plat needs to come off. Those torx suck, but they are normal thread. I've stripped them out, and had to drill them out before.

I live in West Allis, a sub. of Milwaukee.

Do you have any experiance with the MEFI-4 used on the MercuryMarine inboards?

Sunday, February 12, 2006 8:03 PM
Not the latest version of the MEFI, but a buddy of mine developed it and probably is still Head P.E. on it. Tell me what you need to know, and I'll see what I can do..
Monday, February 13, 2006 12:10 AM
I aquired a a MEFI-4 setup w/ the software...... a wire diagram, and any kind of user guide would help. The 'HELP' files in the software are MIA, and I've had a hard time finding much info on the net. I have a basic wire diagram, but its not complete.

Any luck on that I@!#$zu?

Friday, February 17, 2006 12:53 PM
I have done isuzu's so many times i know them blind folded. going to be ase certified this spring in manuals. stilll need any help with the isuzu? the getrag is definitly more of a pain to get apart, but 2 weeks?????

saturn 5speed turbo 8psi
93' z24 grand prix turbo 3.1 swap, crane 272 cam, 3100 hybrid top end swap, t04b turbo
Monday, February 20, 2006 6:18 PM
depending what you need done in the getrag, its pretty easy actually...... if just getting at the diff, only need to pull the case bolts, and the one plug/cover in the bell housing.... then the allen bolt behind it, and tap the shaft out of the case....... peice of cake....

The Isuzu SUCKS any way you look at it..... exp. if its the first time opening the case, cause those damn torx bolts are a PITA to get out.

Monday, February 20, 2006 6:49 PM
SpeedRacerZ wrote:I aquired a a MEFI-4 setup w/ the software...... a wire diagram, and any kind of user guide would help. The 'HELP' files in the software are MIA, and I've had a hard time finding much info on the net. I have a basic wire diagram, but its not complete.

Any luck on that I@!#$zu?

haha you've just had bad luck i've never had a problem with the isuzu, and have torn apart and rebuilt it atleast 5 times

hows it comeing so far?

saturn 5speed turbo 8psi
93' z24 grand prix turbo 3.1 swap, crane 272 cam, 3100 hybrid top end swap, t04b turbo
Monday, February 20, 2006 8:05 PM
Hey Now, Brian has preferences lie th rest of us. The tranny is torn down. Need to find a set of spider gears or at least one drive gear. Measured the Spread of the gears. Will be able to surface grind the small spiders and the PG-LSD to fit. Need Brian to let me know how to purchase his springs and make sure they are the same diameter.

Anyone with Spiders ???
Monday, February 20, 2006 8:42 PM
yeah but there in my isuzu thats still good lol

saturn 5speed turbo 8psi
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 12:05 AM
Steve,

I have an extra stock diff (95-99)..... out of an Isuzu..... was saving it just in case I wanted to take the solid one out of the drag trans...... but I guess I could let it go for the right price...... and for the springs, I take paypal or M/O..... your choice....

Syn,

I've probably torn Isuzu's apart 15-20 times..... the Getrag 3 times...... and I would do the getrag over the Isuzu any time...... Its just more work to get the Isuzu open. Not that I really have a problem rebuilding either.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 12:16 AM
speedracerz i'll come to you if i have probs with my getrag since i have only tookin it apart twice.

also can someone clarify this?

do the 95+ isuzu's have internal slaves?

looking for a 95+ slave that'll fit my 93 nvg trans

saturn 5speed turbo 8psi
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 12:18 AM
wait nevermind already got the question answered haha

thanks speedracer

saturn 5speed turbo 8psi
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:03 AM
no problem

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:30 PM
I'm just putting a phantom grip in my getrag and i have all the case bolts out but i was wondering what is the best way to pull the little round black cover out off the inside of the bell housing

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 1:34 AM
I used a screw driver to punch a hole in it (dont go to deep, as there is a plastic piece behind it) and pry it out...... once you have it out, you can hammer it back flat, and seal up the hole.... and reuse it..... or order a new one.

I tired to go around the edge of it, and get it out nicely, but had no luck.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:43 AM
thanks
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:43 AM
yeah that thing is very hard to get out without messing it up

saturn 5speed turbo 8psi
Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:30 PM
ok i put the LSD in fidenza flywheel and a new clutch and i have put about 300-400 miles on it but now i'm stressed first gear is sometimes hard to get in and it has kind of a growl when u rev it up and let it come down what do u guys think
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search