Isuzu Tranny Gear Mix & Match - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Isuzu Tranny Gear Mix & Match
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 6:33 PM
Ok... Give me your ideas. I have a '93 GEO Storm Tranny and a '96 Sunfire MK7. What gears should I use from the (2) to get the best run through the 1st four Gears ? And, should I go ahead and use the 4.11 FDR from the Storm ?

More info---> It's going behind a 3800 SC in a Sunfire.

Brian (Team Green) - I'd like your input too....

Re: Isuzu Tranny Gear Mix & Match
Friday, August 18, 2006 2:20 PM
Anybody ???
Friday, August 18, 2006 7:22 PM
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm in the middle of tearing apart my '97 Z24 mk7 to replace the spider gears. What references did you use to tear it down? And do I have to take the trans gears out/apart just to change the diff gears?? Again, sorry to waylay the thread, but I'm afraid I would n't be much help.
Thanks,
Bob Evans
Friday, August 18, 2006 8:09 PM
The tranny case has to be seperated. You don't have to pull the gear ass'y out to get the 3rd Member Out. Spider gears are easy to replace. If you want the machined gears, do like I did. Go online and find a tranny for a SOHC (not the DOHC) Geo Storm. The Machined Gears are tight, not sloppy like the cast ones. Also installed a LSD. You can get the BEST buy from TEAM GREEN here on j-body.org.

Don't worry about the thread, at least I can help you with this...
Saturday, August 19, 2006 12:53 AM
Its hard to say...... Being that your going to have TONS of Trq with that engine, you might just burn the rubber off the tires, and never get traction with the 4.11:1's...... JBodyHO had recommended that we go with the 3.6?:1 gears from the 2.2, to get better traction (more use) out of 1st and 2nd...... (we are running 3.94:1 in the Drag Car)

I'd recommend the 4.11:1 for a N/A or low boost (GM Charged 2.4) vehicle....... also the 4.11 is in the DOHC trans....

As for the 1st - 4th......

Best traction with the S/C 3800....... I'd go with the SOHC gears..... (if you can)

Impulse/Storm SOHC
1st 3.272
2nd 2.043
3rd 1.448
4th 1.027
5th 0.829
FDR 3.833

1st 3.91
2nd 2.18
3rd 1.45
4th 1.03
5th 0.74
FDR 3.58

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:34 AM
As always Brian, Thanks for the advise. I always value your input...
Sunday, August 20, 2006 5:19 AM
Steve-
How did you take the third member out without removing the gears? I had to take the gear assembly out because the third member was partially underneath. You have to at least lift the gears up a few inches, and at this point you might as well pull them out. You have to take the entire third member out to swap out the spiders...how did you do it? I'm not doubting you, just curious :-)
Sunday, August 20, 2006 8:10 AM
I did have to remove the gears that were outside the tranny case. To get the third Member out after seperating the case, I just picked up the shaft/gear ass'y next to third member enough to clear the third member, tilted the third member and pull it out.
Sunday, August 27, 2006 7:22 PM
Steve,
I was beginnig to doubt that the ring gear would actually slide out from under the gear stack beside it, but lo and behold a couple of swear words and a good tug and out she came. After removing the diff, all the other gears looked perfect except for the very bottom gear, the one the ring gear meshes with. Can I just use this gear from the Geo Storm?
Thanks,
Bob
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search