Opel Tranny? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Opel Tranny?
Sunday, August 20, 2006 5:44 AM
This is for those that may know...mostly about the Opel Ecotec and their Getrags....

Will a 6-speed Getrag from a European Ecotec bolt up to an American 2.2 Ecotec? Also, would there be any problems with wiring/electronics?

I'm sure I could find several trannys around from the newer Opels and I know they have 6-speeds in them but wondering if you could actually hook it up and it work electronics wise!?

Any help? I think I may go out and find one to see but thought I'd ask here too...see if anyone knows?

Thanks!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?

Re: Opel Tranny?
Sunday, August 20, 2006 10:29 PM
I guess best bet would be to find the trans code, and do some research on it...... IDK how big it is, but I'd think it would have the same bell housing pattern as our Eco

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, July 15, 2017 9:04 AM
Lets Kick a Dead dog here @BlueDeuce

You ever figure this out or anyone ever try? I assume in this fits in the Eco's in place of the F23 style, Could this be used in or with the LD9 set ups With the same mods as the F23?

Got a Project in the making. I may need to start my own thread of a Million and 1 Questions soon.
Friday, September 08, 2017 4:09 PM
This is one of the oldest thread revivals I have ever seen anywhere. Nearly 11 years. Damn.
Friday, October 13, 2017 2:10 PM
Literally just researching the same thing!!!
Came here to find this... weird...
I think the L61 has a better chance of matching bell housing bolt patterns, over the LN2; I believe the M86 is pictured on Opel's F23 diagram, as the 'variante 2' appears very similar to the F40.

http://www.opel-infos.de/getriebe/f23.html

http://www.opel-infos.de/getriebe/f40.html

If they're a match, one could interchange with the MK6 variant of the F40 found stateside in the '07 G6 GTP...?

I'm a 6ft. tall, 250+ lb., man, and I proudly drive the Sunfire. My wife drives the half-ton 4x4...

Monday, October 16, 2017 9:24 AM
It's probably the F40 that came in the LK9 saabs. In which case, I'm pretty sure that it won't physically fit in the bay even though it will bolt to the motor. I know that the F35 5 speed from a cobalt SS does not fit for this reason. Some of those guys swap to the F40. That being said, a lot of cobalt guys are swapping to the jbody f23 as it seems to be stronger and geared better for short drags.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, October 17, 2017 1:21 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:It's probably the F40 that came in the LK9 saabs. In which case, I'm pretty sure that it won't physically fit in the bay even though it will bolt to the motor. I know that the F35 5 speed from a cobalt SS does not fit for this reason. Some of those guys swap to the F40. That being said, a lot of cobalt guys are swapping to the jbody f23 as it seems to be stronger and geared better for short drags.
Actually the F40 will fit, but the drivers side frame needs a little clearancing. I have seen two of these in J-body cars and it wasn't that difficult to make fit.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search