A/T vs. M/T - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A/T vs. M/T
Thursday, November 02, 2006 12:39 PM
just curious... ive got a 01 z24 with an A/T... for race times if it came down to the exactly same car except with M/T would there be a difference and if so how much?

and are there A/T mods out there to help on this?

check out my cardomain page... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2495450

thanks guys.

Re: A/T vs. M/T
Thursday, November 02, 2006 1:10 PM
On average it'll be around a 1/2 second +/- diference between auto and manual.

5pointO

Thursday, November 02, 2006 7:19 PM
The automatic transmission you have now is the 4T40E (4 being the number of forward gears, T being Transverse mount, 40 is the torque rating and E means Electronically controled). There isn't alot available for the consumer, for these transmissions.

There are two thing that you can do, the B&M ShiftPlus and torque converters.

The ShiftPlus is an electronic shift modifier, that adjust the shift firmness and speed. It has two setting and an off position. It does the same thing a shift kit does for mechanically controled transmissions, except you cange you settings or turn it off, without opening the trasmission. Those who have it swear by it. It is reccomended that you only use it on the settings as needed by your driving situation, i.e. daily driving turned off, spirited driving on number 1 and drag racing on number 2.

The second item is the torque converter (TC). These are rated by stall speed (most stock TCs are rated at 2375 rpm). See Yank Converters Tech Talk for more info. A higher stall speed, allows you to reach your torque peak much more quickly for faster launches and elapsed times (in the 1/4 mile). Yank makes one of the best TCs out there, quality stuff, it's what I have! I got mine from Davidsautoauctions(David S., The Camaro Guy on JBO) on eBay. He sells them from time to time, or you can order one from J-Tuners.com, note their terms and conditions though. If you find them to be too expensive read Stock Torque Converters, 3 Speed Gears and more for stock replacement units. Note: these are just as the name implies, they are stock replacements, not the purpose built units by Yank.

There is a thread going in the Transmisson Forum about someone rebuilding these transmissions, read it here, for more info.

Friday, November 03, 2006 10:06 AM
honestly if its built right and now with HPT you can adjust the computer controls for the tranny. your better off with an auto you can never shift faster then an auto with a 5 spd and far less chance of a missed shift. and takes less skill to drive an auto. and there are some on the org here that with the equal boost amount are running pretty close to the same numbers with an auto as the manuals.

id say keep the auto and just build it up check out import performance transmissions

The one, the only, ME.
Friday, November 03, 2006 10:28 AM
the thing is, with an auto tranny. all your really have to do is put your foot down. you can install high stall torque convertors so you can get a better launch, which is where most manuals take the autos because they have 5 gears closer together versus our 4 for the autos.

the thing is though, with a manual, if you take too long to shift or miss a gear or grind or what ever, thats something you dont have to worry about with the auto. the auto is just gas and go, the manual requires more human input than the auto and therefor is subject to more human error.

Injection is nice but id rather be BLOWN!
Saturday, November 04, 2006 3:54 AM
There is also a true LSD for a the auto's as well. Also a company making built tranny's. It was in another post not too long ago.
As for the auto shifting faster then a person can in a manual car, well just on the j-body side of things a say I know I can shift faster than the auto J tranny. The main difference between the 2 has been being able to wind 3 gear out, the auto tranny likes to shift a little earlier. As stated with HPT a lot of that can be changed. For N/A auto J's really seem to suck at the track, but add boost, or juice and it is a different story.

FU Tuning

Saturday, November 04, 2006 2:26 PM
^^^^ very true N/A they suck haha and yea id like to think i can shift faster than an auto to, i was just implying in general the average person cant hahaha

The one, the only, ME.
Saturday, November 04, 2006 3:13 PM
John Higgins wrote:There is also a true LSD for a the auto's as well. Also a company making built tranny's. It was in another post not too long ago.

Who makes the lsd?

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Sunday, November 05, 2006 6:30 PM
Quote:

Who makes the lsd?
I would also like to know this. Skillz car and my car are the two quickest autos on here as far as I know. I also own a 00 Z24 5 Speed getrag. Stock for stock the five speed is a tad bit quicker but I would not change the setup I have on the auto. Turbo and A/T with shift kit is just as fast as any turbo 5 speed J body I have ever raced at the same boost level and turbo size. This is for that specific application only obviously , I can't speak for the rest of the peoples setups. Everyones is different.

Dragracemyz24
Sunday, November 05, 2006 7:17 PM
Sunday, November 05, 2006 7:31 PM
uh, there's true lsd for manuals as well.

04eco wrote:takes less skill to drive an auto.

couldn't have said it better myself.

manuals will always be faster...

Until you get into engines making 800hp and transmissions with lengthy mod lists, the advantages of autos mean squat. An auto thats programmed to shift harder and faster or to wind gears out more is still sucking up more hp than a manual would.

this argument will never end, but frankly I like manual better and I know most people who have autos would rather have a manual. How man manual owners wish their car was automatic?

I know I'll never own another vehicle with an automatic transmission again.

Monday, November 06, 2006 4:45 AM
haha thanks for all of the input guys, i had an 04 cav 5-speed and loved it, im driving this 01 auto now, trust me id rather have a 5-speed but this is what ive got to work with and thats why i asked what could be done, all this talk about 5-speeds being better and everything is almost depressing considering lol anyways thanks alot guys, keep an eye out for more of my posts ill definitly be looking for a lot more input.
Wednesday, November 08, 2006 3:30 PM
how hard is the installation of the b&m shifter plus for someone who isnt too experienced with tuning?

Thursday, November 09, 2006 2:12 PM
ONEhotZ wrote:how hard is the installation of the b&m shifter plus for someone who isnt too experienced with tuning?

You should go with the AutoTrans Interceptor, its a better product and can be installed in under a minute. I have one for sale if you are interested.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Friday, November 10, 2006 6:26 AM
You have much more control over the launch with a manual, you've got better gear ratios to work with, and you can power shift.

I believe the best trannies available are those 2-clutch auto-shifting manual style gearboxes that VW among others are using, but for our cars, the manual is best.

Saturday, November 11, 2006 8:02 PM
Skilz10179 wrote:
ONEhotZ wrote:how hard is the installation of the b&m shifter plus for someone who isnt too experienced with tuning?

You should go with the AutoTrans Interceptor, its a better product and can be installed in under a minute. I have one for sale if you are interested.

im interested how much you looking for?

Sunday, November 12, 2006 2:22 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:You have much more control over the launch with a manual, you've got better gear ratios to work with, and you can power shift.

I believe the best trannies available are those 2-clutch auto-shifting manual style gearboxes that VW among others are using, but for our cars, the manual is best.

hmmm, i dont see how you have much more control of the launch with a manual, personally i tend to side with automatics for racing, they can be made to be as quick as a stick if not quicker and they are ALOT more consistant. with a 3200rpm converter that was custom done for myself, and some other tweaks and mods to the trans that i did i was dead even with a stock Z24 (LD9 Vs LD9 getrag to my 4t40e, both bone stock engine/exhaust except i had the trans done)

imo it is all personal preference, auto's tend to break less things because the driveterrain is preloaded on launch where in a 5spd it goes from unloaded to full load. 5spds are alot more "fun" to drive though.

Sunday, November 12, 2006 9:00 PM
Twisted Motorsorts wrote:
Wild Weasel wrote:You have much more control over the launch with a manual, you've got better gear ratios to work with, and you can power shift.

hmmm, i dont see how you have much more control of the launch with a manual, personally i tend to side with automatics for racing, they can be made to be as quick as a stick if not quicker and they are ALOT more consistant. with a 3200rpm converter that was custom done for myself, and some other tweaks and mods to the trans that i did i was dead even with a stock Z24 (LD9 Vs LD9 getrag to my 4t40e, both bone stock engine/exhaust except i had the trans done)

imo it is all personal preference, auto's tend to break less things because the driveterrain is preloaded on launch where in a 5spd it goes from unloaded to full load. 5spds are alot more "fun" to drive though.

Putting on a 3200 RPM torque converter means trans death to a daily driver. You will overheat your transmission fluid so fast ...

"The Blue Bullet"
Monday, November 13, 2006 2:22 AM
I use a Yank 3000 rpm stall TC with no problems. I have an external cooler and the temps never get over 180*, this in the Florida's 95*+ summer and in stop and go traffic. Took it to the track, made 11 runs in a row, no problems what so ever. You just need a good cooler and good fluid.

Monday, November 13, 2006 6:23 AM
once you start making modifications to the auto transmissions, the stock tranny cooler is pretty much obsolete. a good even the smallest BnM tranny cooler unit is more than enough to replace the stock tranny cooler when building up the 4t40.

Injection is nice but id rather be BLOWN!
Monday, November 13, 2006 7:02 AM
whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:once you start making modifications to the auto transmissions, the stock tranny cooler is pretty much obsolete. a good even the smallest BnM tranny cooler unit is more than enough to replace the stock tranny cooler when building up the 4t40.

oh really?? well to be honest with you, i've got upgraded clutch packs, fully rollerized transmission, upgraded pump, modified valvebody and a few other tweaks done to the 4t40e, 3200rpm converter and when we were cruising on a 32*C day last year the hottest the trans ever got was 205* ideling in traffic/moving slowly (up to 30km/h) and moving above that it was down to around 195ish or so, now that its -1 outside it takes ALONG time for it to go up to 180 and doesnt go over that, so in the summer another cooler is reccomended, but not needed.

Monday, November 13, 2006 3:45 PM
whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:once you start making modifications to the auto transmissions, the stock tranny cooler is pretty much obsolete. a good even the smallest BnM tranny cooler unit is more than enough to replace the stock tranny cooler when building up the 4t40.

oh really?? well to be honest with you, i've got upgraded clutch packs, fully rollerized transmission, upgraded pump, modified valvebody and a few other tweaks done to the 4t40e, 3200rpm converter and when we were cruising on a 32*C day last year the hottest the trans ever got was 205* ideling in traffic/moving slowly (up to 30km/h) and moving above that it was down to around 195ish or so, now that its -1 outside it takes ALONG time for it to go up to 180 and doesnt go over that, so in the summer another cooler is reccomended, but not needed.

Why so much trans work and so little engine work?

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Monday, November 13, 2006 7:15 PM
Skilz10179 wrote:

Engine was thrown in just to get the car up and running (saying the original LD9 spun #3 bearing and the car at that point was a daily driver). I had the engine kicking around and figured it would be a good mule to do some dyno/track tests of before and after for different mods. That and the owner (my girlfriend) didnt know the direction in which she wanted to go (n/a, boosted, etc) The transmission was done so i could get some good RnR time with it to figure out how to make it perform efficiently and make it handle some crazy hp/tq numbers, this transmission so far on the dyno stood to 525hp and damn near that in TQ also (and i can tell you that we burnt and BROKE alot of parts to get it to this stage). I spent alot of hours on the transmission dyno over at a local shop here that does HD and racing transmissions as well sa Torque converters (where we did a custom 3200rpm converter)

Over the winter we'll be starting in on the engine, LD9 that will have slightly above stock compression, fully ported head, custom cams, a bunch of other goodies and 10psi that will make around the 300hp to the wheels mark and more after we play with it there for awhile.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 1:01 PM
Skilz10179 wrote:

Engine was thrown in just to get the car up and running (saying the original LD9 spun #3 bearing and the car at that point was a daily driver). I had the engine kicking around and figured it would be a good mule to do some dyno/track tests of before and after for different mods. That and the owner (my girlfriend) didnt know the direction in which she wanted to go (n/a, boosted, etc) The transmission was done so i could get some good RnR time with it to figure out how to make it perform efficiently and make it handle some crazy hp/tq numbers, this transmission so far on the dyno stood to 525hp and damn near that in TQ also (and i can tell you that we burnt and BROKE alot of parts to get it to this stage). I spent alot of hours on the transmission dyno over at a local shop here that does HD and racing transmissions as well sa Torque converters (where we did a custom 3200rpm converter)

Over the winter we'll be starting in on the engine, LD9 that will have slightly above stock compression, fully ported head, custom cams, a bunch of other goodies and 10psi that will make around the 300hp to the wheels mark and more after we play with it there for awhile.

Would you mind going into great detain about the trans work you've done and parts used?

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:16 PM
Skilz10179 wrote:

Would you mind going into great detain about the trans work you've done and parts used?

I will be more than happy, i even have a few pics kicking around from when the trans was done, give me a bit to dig it up and i will contact you via email or PM

Start New Topic Advanced Search