tranny removal possiable without removing crossmember - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tranny removal possiable without removing crossmember
Thursday, April 19, 2007 1:25 AM
like the title stats is it pobbiable to remove the 5 speed getrag from a cavalier without removing the suspension cross member?

Re: tranny removal possiable without removing crossmember
Thursday, April 19, 2007 1:28 AM
i hear you cant but if i do should i remove it totaly or just remove the bolts and let it hang a little or something? lol.. oh btw 2002 ecotec with 5 speed if need to know..

Thursday, April 19, 2007 5:59 AM
You can remove the trans without removing the subframe, but you'll have to remove the little brace on the left side that goes from the subframe to the radiator support. You'll also have to cut off a small chunk of material from where that brace mounts.

That's how mine came out the second time.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, May 12, 2007 11:44 PM
Hey guys, not to thread jack, but i was wondering , the 4t40e, removing the auto from the car, does the engine need to be lifted out?...or can u drop it from underneath....thanks guys

<a href="www.daptronics.com">www.daptronics.com Huge Discounts on Electronics</a>
Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:53 PM
PJ had a whole write up about dropping the Getrag w/o dropping the subframe...... I actually used it the last time I dropped mine out, and it worked mint!!!!

The 4t40e can be removed from the bottom, just pull the subframe out and drop it down.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:22 AM
did the same thing as pj's write up for mine when replacing my clutch and it worked excellent. just search the transmission forums and you'll find it.
Thursday, May 17, 2007 8:22 AM
You can remove the getrag without removing the subframe, BUT it only comes out 1 way and is a pain in the butt. I have done it. If there is a next time I will be doing PJ's mod to make it a little easier.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 7:26 PM
Link to PJ how to?

GMR has got nothing on this
Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9:18 PM
its VERY simple. lay under there and you will see the ear you have to cut off.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 3:04 PM
LOL....well thanks. Now what if I need to remove both the engine and transmission. Is it better up top or down low?

Ive removed engines before but never both tranny and motor.

On a GTZ someone removed the whole engine, tranny, and subframe together....said it was easier if you have a floor jack.

GMR has got nothing on this
Friday, May 11, 2012 8:33 PM
drop it from underneath..
everything is so much easier that way..
esp if you happen to have an atv jack

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:23 AM
I know it can be done with the Isuzu without cutting anything. Too bad the getrag isn't like that.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 5:10 AM
You can do it just by lowering it.
I also cut some of the "ear" material off the drivers side, in front of the control arm, to make it a little easier.
I did not have to drop it out completely.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:41 AM
I just completed a transmission re-and-re on an F23 getrag... cut the ear at the front of the subframe on the driver's side and didn't have to do anything else to get the trans past the subframe.

I have done the same with both an Isuzu and an NVG T-550 on Sweetness.

Truly, there is no reason to even consider unbolting the subframe to drop the trans.

I have also dropped an engine out of the bottom with the trans for removal - I didn't much like that. I prefer to go out the top with a picker which I've done about 10 times with nothing but good results.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, May 16, 2012 8:13 AM
SHOoff wrote:I know it can be done with the Isuzu without cutting anything. Too bad the getrag isn't like that.

You can with the getrag. That is how I did it for my clutch. In fact my ear is still on. I do think it will be a good bit easier with the Ear cut off.

FU Tuning

Saturday, May 19, 2012 1:25 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:
SHOoff wrote:I know it can be done with the Isuzu without cutting anything. Too bad the getrag isn't like that.

You can with the getrag. That is how I did it for my clutch. In fact my ear is still on. I do think it will be a good bit easier with the Ear cut off.

I had to slid the trans forward, and rotate 90 degrees I think to get it out (been a while). I think cutting the ear off would help, but at the same time it's not like I have the transmission out every other day.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search