Isuzu to Getrag swap with lots of pics!! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Isuzu to Getrag swap with lots of pics!!
Sunday, January 13, 2008 3:32 PM
Ok so over the past while i have been on here its been a pain to get info on the Getrag swap. This is a picture and step by step on swapping from a 95-99 Isuzu 5spd to a 2k up Getrag 5 spd. If you have basic car skills and able to weld then this is a easy project for you.

The rear mount was purchased from Gm and the front mount was bought from Turbo tech racing.

So this is what you should start with:

As you can see the rear mount is about 12" from the firewall. So cut this mount out and clean it up. This is what you should have after your done.

Then i went to fit the rear mount. It has to be about 8" away from the firewall as shown in these pics.

After i found where i wanted it i marked out where it goes and made sure it was level and cleaned up the surrounding area.

I then tacked all four corners and laid a bead across the top of the mount and made sure all was good and finished up the rest of the welds.

Then on to the front mount. This is what you should have. Some people have used the stock Isuzu mount. I opted to use the TTR replacement. I also got rid of my battery tray.

Cut the old mount off and this is where you should be.

I then put the tranny into the rear mount and put a bolt through the front mount to give me where the front mount will be located. I then tacked it into place.

i finished up welding in the front mount with the tranny out to give me some room.

After all said and done i put the tranny back in to make sure it all fit. And there you have it. A Getrag where the Isuzu used to be.

Re: Isuzu to Getrag swap with lots of pics!!
Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:45 PM
Question So did you hook the Getrag up with a 2.2 or 2.4? Because my brother has a olds Cuttless calais 442 with a 5spd Getrag and he likes it a lot and we were doin some looking at my 2.2 cavalier and wondering if a Getrag would hook up with my 2.2

Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:55 PM
I am not sure. That is a differnt getrag as far as my knowledge. this is for a F23 getrag that was used for 2k up 2200,2.4,2.2eco engines...
Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:31 PM
very nice!

i would trust the izuzu rear mount more though (as it goes all the way over the top of the frame rail).... idk, maybe you should do a couple of those (i cant remember the name) welds that you drill a hole through the top piece (in the middle/flat section where its flat across the frame) and then fill up the hole with weld.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:00 PM
Your talking about plug welds....i could do them but this is definatly strong enough.
Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:00 PM
Well thanks anyways

Monday, January 14, 2008 8:31 AM
justin stockdall wrote:Question So did you hook the Getrag up with a 2.2 or 2.4? Because my brother has a olds Cuttless calais 442 with a 5spd Getrag and he likes it a lot and we were doin some looking at my 2.2 cavalier and wondering if a Getrag would hook up with my 2.2

The 2.3 Getrag will not mate with the 2.2...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, January 14, 2008 4:19 PM
VERY nice write up!

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Monday, January 14, 2008 4:24 PM
wow..that looks like alot of work..makes me glad my getrag just bolted up in place of the isuzu ..instead of going thru that....but a good write up none the less

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:08 PM
How much was the mount Philly? I'm doing this VERY soon.
Monday, January 14, 2008 6:12 PM
Don't you have to swap out shifters, all shift linkage, master cylinder, and clutch as well? That's just something I read, and I didn't knwo fore sure.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:29 PM
Yes you do..but this write up is to hopefully make easy as pie for people to do. I found the articles were very vague when i looked for info..cant get to abc then this. It is not hard..as fr the mount. The front from ttr was $50 or so and the rear was 70 or so from gm
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:08 AM
OK Thanks, I'll be doing this swap soon.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 4:31 AM
I'm using a Getrag from a 2000 Sunfire, can I just cut the mounts out of the car and use them instead of buying new ones?
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:12 AM
You could....i don believe its worth it. Its only going to cost $120 bucks for new ones..and it would be hard to reuse the stock ones...seriously..buy new ones..
Thursday, January 17, 2008 4:17 AM
OK. I have to do this swap soon. My isuzu is getting worse and worse.
Friday, January 18, 2008 4:38 PM
Just bookmarked this as i will be needing it come this summer now, i've decided to come to the true dark side. 2200 auto - l61 manual

Friday, January 18, 2008 8:50 PM
Thank you for the how-to.
This is more information for my files.
I'll be doing this soon enough as I'm sick of my auto for my Cavy.
Auto's suck and can't have any fun with an auto.
I've never seen anyone do a heel/ toe downshift with an auto.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:03 AM
i have heard you can just get the whole front sub frame and bolt that onto your car instead of going through all the trouble of welding in all the new mounts.....i don't know if it is true but i thought i read it somewhere on here
Saturday, January 19, 2008 9:41 AM
No..you cant just change subframes...it is acually very very easy. I just wanted to make it detailed so there isnt a need for how do i swap a getrag in threads..maybe a sticky is in order lol..
Saturday, January 19, 2008 12:41 PM
I wish I could weld myself. I'm weary of getting my mechanic to do this, because he tells me that it's IMPOSSIBLE to put the newer getrag into the 95-99's but every local mechanic I've talked to also said "a 3400 in a sunfire? Just won't happen". I even heard "If GM couldn't do it, I doubt you'll get it to work"

Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:48 PM
well thats cause most mechanics don't like doing @!#$ like that unless they get paid very well to do it. They can make alot more money off 10 hours of easy @!#$ a day.
Monday, January 21, 2008 8:34 AM
Its not hard at all..i have very little welding experience really at all... And to be honest this is my first on car weld ever. Find a friend with a welder or a guy that works at a machine shop and cut a deal. Have it all ready for him and it is literally maybe 45 min of welding if that.
Monday, March 24, 2008 5:37 PM
amazing. I'm bookmarking this thread since it'll come in handy for a 99 eco swap i'm planning

STICKY!!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:48 AM
so what he's sayin, is my 95 2200 is compatible with a getrag trans? my cav is an auto 3spd
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search