Bad clutch master cyl or slave cyl?? - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Bad clutch master cyl or slave cyl??
Monday, April 21, 2008 8:59 AM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:
Wade Jarvis wrote:
Matt Gorman(ECOjunkk) wrote:when im on the freeway going about 65-80(between there) theres a moaning/bearing noise when let off the gas-thast the TOB correct because as you describe wade, my car is doing the exact same thing

I am a little lost as my problem has nothing to do with a noise like you describe. My clutch was just not fully relasing and it kept getting air in the line.

FDR is hurt. look up (online) how to shim up a Rear Diff., how and why it makes noise. and then think about a FWD car.

my F23 did this before i replaced it at 121K

Chris

FDR..this is a used trans as my new one did it after my flywheel and clutch install

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

*UPDATE* Bad clutch master cyl or slave cyl??
Monday, April 21, 2008 9:17 AM
Well I got pics of both parts side by side. I will post those up later. The new master is in and bled but the clutch is still not fully releasing. I am getting a sloid fluid stream every time I open the bleeder to I highly doubt I still have air in the line.

I am going to pull of the inspection cover tonight and check the tq on the pressure plate to flywheel bolts. Going to tq them to 24 ft lbs.

What seems weird to me is that with the clutch pedal pushed in in 1st gear at idle the car does not move forward but if I rev the engine with the clutch pedal still pushed in it starts to move forward until the rpms drop. Any ideas on why.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Re: *UPDATE* Bad clutch master cyl or slave cyl??
Monday, April 21, 2008 2:45 PM
wierd man, im sure you will figure it out, me on the other hand im waiting to get some money and time and pull my trans
out and ditch the spec flywheel, hell its only got 3700 miles on it..lol

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:15 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:Well I got pics of both parts side by side. I will post those up later. The new master is in and bled but the clutch is still not fully releasing. I am getting a sloid fluid stream every time I open the bleeder to I highly doubt I still have air in the line.

I am going to pull of the inspection cover tonight and check the tq on the pressure plate to flywheel bolts. Going to tq them to 24 ft lbs.

What seems weird to me is that with the clutch pedal pushed in in 1st gear at idle the car does not move forward but if I rev the engine with the clutch pedal still pushed in it starts to move forward until the rpms drop. Any ideas on why.

When you are reving the motor force takes over everything pushes out, like the pressure plate. This si sooo exactly what happened with my car. I took the same steps as you.

FU Tuning

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:00 PM
John Higgins wrote:
Wade Jarvis wrote:Well I got pics of both parts side by side. I will post those up later. The new master is in and bled but the clutch is still not fully releasing. I am getting a sloid fluid stream every time I open the bleeder to I highly doubt I still have air in the line.

When you are reving the motor force takes over everything pushes out, like the pressure plate. This si sooo exactly what happened with my car. I took the same steps as you.

So did it turn out to be that your pressure plate to flywheel botls needed tourqed down or what was wrong?

Monday, April 21, 2008 6:50 PM
I just came in from the garage to post that my bolts in question were coming loose... the first one I came accross I threaded in a full turn by hand. I am not going to fully remove them just thread them almost all the way out and then apply some locktite. It looks like it would be somewhere between tough and impossible to get one of the bolts put back in if it were out since the hole in the trans case is so small. Getting a tq wrench in there or a socket is not going to happen in fact the only thing you will get in there is a box end wrench.

Moral of the story use Locktite.

Old and new clutch master cylinder side by side. The old one is the one with what looks like wire loom wrap on it.

And here is the third bolt I came accross. I found it just like that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 21, 2008 7:47 PM

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:04 AM
Wow loose bolts. John Higgins for president.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:48 AM
HOLY SH!T WADE!!!! when we spoke on the phone i had no idea the bolts were THAT loose!!! i was figuring hmmppf a couple threads out, not THAT horrible...but then see that pic. thats crazy, your lucky as hell you found this problem before it became something a LOT worse!

so did it fix the problem?

Rollin' on question marks since 07.
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:10 AM
z yaaaa wrote:HOLY SH!T WADE!!!! when we spoke on the phone i had no idea the bolts were THAT loose!!! i was figuring hmmppf a couple threads out, not THAT horrible...but then see that pic. thats crazy, your lucky as hell you found this problem before it became something a LOT worse!

The car was so bad it was not driveable. It would have really sucked if they had come out going down the interstate though.

Yes it is all fixed now.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:29 AM
I still think it's the throwout bearing. Seriously, drop the trans and check it. You'd be stupid if you didn't.

Lol I kid I kid. Glad to see you found the issue, loctite is your friend!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:09 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:HOLY SH!T WADE!!!! when we spoke on the phone i had no idea the bolts were THAT loose!!! i was figuring hmmppf a couple threads out, not THAT horrible...but then see that pic. thats crazy, your lucky as hell you found this problem before it became something a LOT worse!

The car was so bad it was not driveable. It would have really sucked if they had come out going down the interstate though.

Yes it is all fixed now.

Just rember what ya owe me

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, May 03, 2008 8:31 PM
hey guys I have a question? I have a 2001 Chevy Cav 2.2. Its man 5spd, the other day I went out to start the car and it started up fine. I let it warm up as it was really cold out, and when I came back to go to work. I got in and went to put it in gear and the clutch pedal just fell to the floor when pushed and wouldnt come back up. I have a new clutch in it with about 20k miles on it now, I didnt have any slippage or grinding prior to this happening. So my first guess was air in the line, I checked and cant get any fuild to bleed out. So I disconnected the line at the slave and in doing so fluid leaked out. My resevoir is full, and I dont see any leaks off hand. Any ideas as to the problem or where to begin to start? I have a hunch it is the master cylinder that has gone out, I dont think the TOB is bad cause I can still attempt to push into gear while running and it will pull forward when held against the gear. Ideas please.....

K Jacobs
Saturday, May 03, 2008 9:31 PM
Distinct Demensionz wrote:hey guys I have a question? I have a 2001 Chevy Cav 2.2. Its man 5spd, the other day I went out to start the car and it started up fine. I let it warm up as it was really cold out, and when I came back to go to work. I got in and went to put it in gear and the clutch pedal just fell to the floor when pushed and wouldnt come back up. I have a new clutch in it with about 20k miles on it now, I didnt have any slippage or grinding prior to this happening. So my first guess was air in the line, I checked and cant get any fuild to bleed out. So I disconnected the line at the slave and in doing so fluid leaked out. My resevoir is full, and I dont see any leaks off hand. Any ideas as to the problem or where to begin to start? I have a hunch it is the master cylinder that has gone out, I dont think the TOB is bad cause I can still attempt to push into gear while running and it will pull forward when held against the gear. Ideas please.....

You have a problem in the master cylinder/line area. Pedal going to the floor is air in the line. It is either because hole in line, or bad master cylinder, or bad TOB. Is there fluid leaking under the car?

FU Tuning

Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:50 PM
same exact problem as all the above and am pulling the tranny next weekend but i have a 96 and neither or those master cylinders look anything like my one on my 96. Mine just has the line coming off of the master that snap into a black nozzle cylinder lookin thing and then screws onto the tob.

can i order the new master with the part number in this thread cause i need a new master as well?

"sometimes the respect is more important..."
Sunday, May 11, 2008 9:37 AM
schmidty4343 wrote:same exact problem as all the above and am pulling the tranny next weekend but i have a 96 and neither or those master cylinders look anything like my one on my 96. Mine just has the line coming off of the master that snap into a black nozzle cylinder lookin thing and then screws onto the tob.

can i order the new master with the part number in this thread cause i need a new master as well?

The above master is for a getrag car or 00+ car. Pre 00 cars have isuzu tranny's and use different masters.

FU Tuning

Monday, May 12, 2008 11:03 PM
I have this exact same problem, and you knw what, your gonna @!#$. Its the line that links your master to your slave. I somehow managed to get a hairline crack in it when I changed the tranny. Same issues. Bleed it, drive for a few days, and it pulls on me when Im stopped. The clutch engages basically on the floor. The easiest and most cost effective repair is a steel braided line with corrosion resistant liner. Most hydraulic hose manufacturers can make this for you. The hard part is making it fit on the little fitting in the base of the master cylinder.
Friday, May 23, 2008 10:06 AM
I have this same problem too.... I'm going through the same steps as you as well. I changed the Clutch Master Cylinder and now I'm going to tear it apart and see if it is the pressure plate..... I bled the @!#$ out of my clutch master when I got the new one and its doing the same thing as what your car is doing. Please post once you get it figured out all the way. Looks like that information will help a lot of people. Good Luck Wade
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:46 PM
error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:47 PM

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:19 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:
John Higgins wrote:

So did it turn out to be that your pressure plate to flywheel botls needed tourqed down or what was wrong?

ive got fluid leaking out from where that pressure plate housing is. I guess its the slave for me?

Wade Jarvis wrote:
Magik1109 wrote:i would change the master first since its cheap and easy to replace, then if the problem still occur, might be your slave (more expensive)

I called the auto parts store and the master is not available through them yet. Still dealer only item. I called the stealership and the cost is $160 for the master and the slave was $113 Since the master is easier to get to and has more miles I decided I will replace it first. Chris Taetsch was able to get me a new one from the dealer for about $100.

I have been told that GM redesigned this part with a different line. If this is the case I will post up the 2 side by side so this can be seen.

I also talked to clutchmasters technical support. I was told there is no way to tell for sure which is bad at this point unless one is leaking. They insist that they get theres from the exact same place that supplies them to GM so there would be absoluty no difference between theres and the stock. They also advised me to replace the master first because of the mileage and ease of replacement. I was told that if indeed it was a bad slave it would be under warranty.

I will be checking it again real good for leaks as well as the condition of the O-ring where the line connects to the slave.

Also wat o ring are u talking about where?

Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:34 AM
i got fluid leaking out of where the pressure plate is. Not overnight just when its driven. I know this cause i washed the bay and let it sit.

I guess the slave is bad, do i have to drop the whole tranny and should i change the clutch also?

What can a bad thro-out bearing cause?
Sunday, August 28, 2011 8:53 PM

Is the one on the right part #24233064?
and
Does it have the hose and bleeder included or do you have to buy it all separately?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search