Anyone have a Custom FDR? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Anyone have a Custom FDR?
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:33 PM
Has anyone had a gear made to change their FDR? If so did you go higher or lower? I'm just wondering.

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..

Re: Anyone have a Custom FDR?
Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:44 PM
I figured as much.. just thought I'd ask.

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Friday, January 20, 2012 9:46 AM
bump... anybody know of place that can make custom ring and pinion gears for FDR change?

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:28 AM
Sure. Eaton. Will cost more than a J is worth. LOL.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:40 AM
On what? On an Isuzu car I'm pretty sure you can swap FDR's as they're already out there in different ratios. Not sure on the Getrag's. Probably a way to do it on the auto's.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, January 27, 2012 6:05 AM
well i want something like a 4.70 FDR. best getrag i know of is 4.40 and best isuzu i know of is 4.11.

Friday, January 27, 2012 10:13 AM
I'm at a loss as to why you'd want such a steep gear. 1st is already useless. That would start to make 2nd useless.

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:39 PM
Should still be able to hit 25 in 1st. Only 40 some in 2nd. I did a calculator and a 4.70 doesn't sound that unreasonable. Except, I wonder at what point you start hurting your times because of how much time you have to sit and shift gears.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, February 01, 2012 5:45 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:I'm at a loss as to why you'd want such a steep gear. 1st is already useless. That would start to make 2nd useless.

lol man why do people always say that? think about the V8 guys.. whats one of the best mods they can do? change the rear end gears to a better ratio for acceleration. honda guy's have WAY lower gearing, too. besides weight how do you think a 200whp honda can run 12's?

to to answer ur question... because it gets the car accelerating faster for one... and a j-body can cut 1.9 60 foots n/a on street tires with a 3.94. ive seen it with my own eyes...

if newt can cut 1.7's with a 3.94 on slicks i am confident i could cut 1.6 60 foots on slicks with a 4.40 FDR.

will it get 35 mpg? nope and dont care.

on a side note i just wanna say its something i would like to try.. if it doesnt work out, fine but i feel it will. for an n/a car its all about getting the brick moving... the better acceleration rate you can get the faster times you can get. i dont care about MPH... im after the faster ET's.

and as far as shifting more gears is concerned well, i dont honestly see going into 5th in an n/a car even with a 4.40 FDR. i know in paul's car he just BARELY gets it into 4th gear with a 3.94 FDR on stock sized tires running a 13.6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:44 AM

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 11:00 AM
You will never have to use 5th.

Brad - Just get the 4.40 FDR and run shorter tires, like a 22" or a 23".

I run 22" slicks, with my 3.94FDR and trapping 99mph, I'm just to say around 5500 in 4th across the line. (maybe a touch higher).

Friday, February 03, 2012 5:15 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
Mr. Quick wrote:I'm at a loss as to why you'd want such a steep gear. 1st is already useless. That would start to make 2nd useless.

lol man why do people always say that? think about the V8 guys.. whats one of the best mods they can do? change the rear end gears to a better ratio for acceleration...
LOL. I know all the reasons for increasing FDR. Believe me, I'm building a close ratio high FDR Isuzu that's going in my car.

Big difference between us and the "V8 guys", though. They're able to run much bigger tires than we are. This is a two-fold difference: they run taller tires, so the effective FDR is a little different than if you ran the same ratio, and they're able to run much wider tires, greatly increasing their contact patch. If you have too much torque multiplying going on, the tire size you'll need to avoid losing all traction won't get on your car. I really wouldn't go higher than 4.11 in our cars unless you're going to strip it down and cut the wheel wells out for big slicks.

Friday, February 03, 2012 5:16 PM
well.. you dont NEED big slicks with an n/a car but yea i see what you mean. they can still stick out side the fenders if needed hahaha

Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:11 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

lol man why do people always say that? think about the V8 guys.. whats one of the best mods they can do? change the rear end gears to a better ratio for acceleration. honda guy's have WAY lower gearing, too. besides weight how do you think a 200whp honda can run 12's?

to to answer ur question... because it gets the car accelerating faster for one... and a j-body can cut 1.9 60 foots n/a on street tires with a 3.94. ive seen it with my own eyes...

if newt can cut 1.7's with a 3.94 on slicks i am confident i could cut 1.6 60 foots on slicks with a 4.40 FDR.

will it get 35 mpg? nope and dont care.

on a side note i just wanna say its something i would like to try.. if it doesnt work out, fine but i feel it will. for an n/a car its all about getting the brick moving... the better acceleration rate you can get the faster times you can get. i dont care about MPH... im after the faster ET's.

and as far as shifting more gears is concerned well, i dont honestly see going into 5th in an n/a car even with a 4.40 FDR. i know in paul's car he just BARELY gets it into 4th gear with a 3.94 FDR on stock sized tires running a 13.6.

The problem is that while we can look at what RWD cars do to be successful, the fact remains that J's aren't RWD, so there are other factors that play in. In all honesty, 4.70 would probably be a great NA ratio, IF the stock 1st gear ratio wasn't so ridiculously short to provide the perception of substantial torque in a stock-powered car. RWD cars, particularly those with Tremec T5's, have a lot of OEM and aftermarket gear selections that the F23 sadly, never will. If you could drop the 1st gear down to like a 3.30, or hell, even a 3.0:1 ratio, with an aggressive FDR it would be BADASS. But, as far as PJ and I can find, the best you're going to do is the 4.40 from a Vue (I think), and thats IF its swappable because those F23's are slightly different from what's in a J, at least externally. I think PJ's going to check one out at a local yard sometime soon so hopefully we'll have something to report on that in the not-too-distant future.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, February 11, 2012 2:11 AM
FDR is why its hard to get our cars quick.

honda n/a cars run 4.80 FDR and higher sometimes.... granted torque has something to do with it also, and our gearing isn't as flexible (no gearsets made for the F23), you can sacrifice a little bit of wheelspin off the line for more grunt in the top end via torque multiplication through the gears.

and the FDR should be sized according to your trap speed. ideally you want to be hitting redline at the end of the quarter in 4th gear. if you ever have to shift to an overdrive gear drag racing, your race is over (slow).

Saturday, February 11, 2012 3:30 PM
lol exactly. PJ gets it.

paul's n/a quad 4 powered car with 3.94 FDR and nvg-t550 trans with stock sized 16" tires just barely gets into 4th gear before the 1/4 finish line around here running mid 13's. definitely not ideal.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 8:58 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:lol exactly. PJ gets it.

paul's n/a quad 4 powered car with 3.94 FDR and nvg-t550 trans with stock sized 16" tires just barely gets into 4th gear before the 1/4 finish line around here running mid 13's. definitely not ideal.

Wow really? I was making it to 4th about 50 feet before the 1/4 mile line with just 2.2 3rd and 4th gears, and that was at 136 whp and 149 wtq. I'd think with his added power he should be getting there faster than that.

Now I'm really looking forward to what 4.11's and my W41 hybrid will do.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:04 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:lol exactly. PJ gets it.

Wow really? I was making it to 4th about 50 feet before the 1/4 mile line with just 2.2 3rd and 4th gears, and that was at 136 whp and 149 wtq. I'd think with his added power he should be getting there faster than that.

Now I'm really looking forward to what 4.11's and my W41 hybrid will do.

and your trap speed was....?

redline has a lot to do with it also. most ecos are revving over 7000

Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:06 PM
89mph, lol. Revving to 6500. Which definitely has everything to do with it, I was just expecting a bigger difference I guess.

What was Paul revving to? 7500?

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:25 PM
lol yea tim, paul's rev limiter is like 7700. he revs to 7500. but even still ur 3rd and 4th gear sets are probly deeper than his so that also makes a difference.

a 4.11 in ur car should be awesome.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:50 PM
i was topping out 3rd at around 7500-7800rpm and trapping 97mph when the skwirl was at it's peak

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search