Isuzu to Getrag swap with lots of pics!! - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Isuzu to Getrag swap with lots of pics!!
Friday, April 25, 2008 2:15 PM
Yes a 2200 is compatible with a Getrag, but your 95 doesn't have a 2200, unless you swapped a 2200 in there in place of your 2.2 OHV, which I doubt you did that because of all the work and no gains...

1997 Sunfire SE

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:14 PM
With the exception of replacing the cables and everything.... if you have a 2.4, a getrag for a 2.4 will just bolt right up where the izuzu was without any modifications wont it.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 9:46 AM
Wait wait ...

is the bell housing different between the 2.2 OHV and the 2200????????? ... the 2200 block is based on the 2.2 OHV, and they both accept 3T40 and 4T40E auto transmissions...

http://www.jbodysource.org/wiki/MultiGenEngine2point2History --- Doesnt mention any block changes involving bell housing changes between the 2.2 and the 2200 ... the article shows the block was changed in 1997 and the head was changed in 1998 (creaiting the 2200 in 1998)

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:43 PM
Ok...a 95-99 2.2 or 2200 has the same tranny>>>that being said in 2k -2k2 is a diff tranny...
Tuesday, May 06, 2008 9:46 PM
isnt the getrag the same transmission used on the 02 - 05 ecotecs

Thursday, May 08, 2008 8:21 AM
Itsa Meeeh - Speedline Z wrote:isnt the getrag the same transmission used on the 02 - 05 ecotecs

Yes it is. But its also in the 2200 and 2.4. Just with different bell housings.

Friday, May 09, 2008 12:17 PM
2.2 ohv and the 2200 have the same bellhousing patterns, and either tranny will fit either engine. A 2.4 getrag and 2.4 isuzu has different mounts IIRC so It's not a direct bolt-in. I'm also pretty sure you have to change the shifter, linkage, cables, and master cylinder.

95-99 trannies (manual) were isuzu's, and were used with both the 2.2ohv (95-97) and the 2200 (98-99), the getrag was used in all 2000+. but the eco and 2.4 used a different bellhousing than the 2200.

1997 Sunfire SE

Monday, May 12, 2008 10:47 PM
Okay, with all of the different threads, I am looking for a simple answer. Is the bellhousing from a getrag going to work on a 2.2 OHV? I am on my secon Isuzu and the synchros are going and I do not want to spend another 2000 for another one. No way. I want it done once, once more anyway, but it to be the last time. Any help would be insightful. This thread has lots of great info and koodos go to the man who wrote it. Thanks!
Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:21 AM
Ok sorry if this has already been answered but i have a 96 cavalier 2.2L with an isuzu 5speed and it took a @!#$ and i want to know if a getrag 5speed from like a 2000-2002 2200 cavalier would work. Are the axle shafts different sizes? What would I all need besides clutch, flywheel,shifter,and master cylinder from the getrag??
Thanks for the help and inputs
Thursday, May 15, 2008 10:54 PM
Weebel wrote:With the exception of replacing the cables and everything.... if you have a 2.4, a getrag for a 2.4 will just bolt right up where the izuzu was without any modifications wont it.

No, you will need to change the mount brackets like the OP did.
I did this swap on my 97 LD9 a couple years ago, so I know this for sure.

Friday, May 16, 2008 1:25 PM
****For all the people doing a auto to manual swap....Here is the measurements for your master cylinder placement!!!

Monday, June 23, 2008 8:06 PM
ok, i have a few corrections to the said above.....

The hole from strut tower side to center of big hole is going to vary. Mine wasn't completely flat and i wasn't getting 4"'s, i was getting like 4 2/8ths, so i ended up using the 1.5" down from the body above measurement and then found the center of the c-shaped groove in the fire wall and used that as a center point.

The washer that is on your CV shaft and behind the 30mm nut is exactly 1.5".... score!!

The distance between the 2 small holes from dead center to center IS NOT exactly 2"s.... it is 2 1/4 "... have a look see. It is placed on the dead center of the studs.

Center big hole is 1.5"s.....

I drilled all my holes tonight and everything is all lined up perfectly. Just make sure your stud holes are 2 1/4"s apart. I'm glad i doubled checked against my clutch before i drilled. I used a 3/8th bit and it is maybe 1/16th over sized from the actual stud size.

Monday, September 07, 2009 9:48 AM
*Bump*

Time for a revival....i've been doing some reading about swapping this trans into my car. i have a 99 2.4L 5sp. My bro just totalled his 01 2.4L 5sp. I can have his trans and anything i need for mine for FREE and was thinking about swapping trannies. I know i have to get mounts, i have a welder and a car to go by for a template as well as pics earlier in this post so no biggie. but what else do i need besides the trans.? i also read somewhere that there is some wiring that needs to be swapped? Any help would be appreciated.

99CavyZ ~ Black ~ 5-Speed
"If It Bleeds For A Week Straight, How Come It Doesn't Die!?"

Sunday, August 01, 2010 7:20 PM
I'm swapping out my 2.2 ohv for a cammed 3500 and getrag, I've got everything I need except for the mount brackets. Does anyone have pictures or part numbers on these monsters?

Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:41 PM
ok i have a 1996 z24 to change from the isuzu tranny to the getrag tranny are the mounts the same and the starter location?

Monday, August 16, 2010 5:51 AM
yes...all 95-99 jbodies have the same mounts.
Saturday, September 04, 2010 3:30 PM
Philly D,

did the welds hold up? look like you stick welded them, is that right? I only ask because you have some monster porosity going on in the welds
Saturday, September 04, 2010 4:49 PM
they have held up just fine....mig welded them and yah..the surface wasnt as clean as I thought but still alot more solid then GM's
Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:54 PM
hey if any of the people saying they are gonna do the swap just letting you guys know i live in springfield mass and i have a 2001 z24 that i am parting out.... so i will be selling my f23 getrag which has a teem green lsd already installed tranny has 60,000 miles on it . and i also have all the linkage and what not if you interested pm me ... p.s sorry to jack the thread just trying to help people get better trannys

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Friday, October 08, 2010 12:27 PM
Philly D wrote:Ok so over the past while i have been on here its been a pain to get info on the Getrag swap. This is a picture and step by step on swapping from a 95-99 Isuzu 5spd to a 2k up Getrag 5 spd. If you have basic car skills and able to weld then this is a easy project for you.

The rear mount was purchased from Gm and the front mount was bought from Turbo tech racing.

Can I assume that 22629361 is the part number for the rear bracket??? GMPD is never clear on their part descriptions

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Monday, October 25, 2010 8:24 PM
ok im so @!#$ lost, so in the end, your saying that the f23 tranny will bolt right up to my 96 2.4 but i will need to put in different mounts, they wont match up at all?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:28 PM
Yes it will bolt up if you get the one with the 2.4 bellhousing but you need to do what I did in this write up.

I beleieve thats the part #...I would take it in...and then we had to go through the fiches to find the right part #
Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:21 AM
What did you do in terms of wiring up the VSS and the reverse sensor?

I assume just cut plugs from a junk yard car and wired them in?

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Thursday, December 02, 2010 8:49 AM
Does anyone have the part number for 00-05 shift cables??

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:46 PM
DSMskyline wrote:What did you do in terms of wiring up the VSS and the reverse sensor?

I assume just cut plugs from a junk yard car and wired them in?

Well since I was doing a full eco swap it all just plugged in, but I dont see why that wouldnt work.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search