Want to toss Isuzu tranny for Getrag...is this the right one for 98 ld9? - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Want to toss Isuzu tranny for Getrag...is this the right one for 98 ld9?
Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:10 AM
90-92 GTZ clutch, or 93-94 GTZ clutch, depending what year trans ya get, and a 90-94, 00-02 Quad-4 flywheel.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 12:30 PM
Quote:

but 92-94 do have better FDR, IMO 92 is the best, better FDR, and a external slave.

agreed

and as far as the clutch goes..it depends on which you get ...if you get the NVG..the 92-94 (with INTERNAL slave) the 2.4 clutch / flywheel should work...when i put the 2.4 crank in my quad block i used the fw and clutch from my stock quad and its still going strong.....i could be wrong on this but it worked for me

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:20 PM
no, any 2.4 clutch will work all the 90-94, as long as you have a TOB.....

my wifes 00 Z has a 92 GTZ clutch in it now... works great.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:22 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Well I disagree with your suggestion that i dont know how to drive the car. I DO NOT abuse the second gear syncro, yet it is a common failure in mine and about 5 others that I have seen. If the third or forth gear syncros went out then I would have no problem addmiting that it was my driving as I have uterly abused those 2 on occasion. Second just seems very weak. One of my diffs is locked up on the passenger side only. Never tore that one apart to see exactly what happened. A friend has had multiple sets of spider and pinion gears shatter. Im not saying im the best driver out there but if I was able to keep a supposedly far weaker trans together for far longer driving it the exact same then I dont see how it its only my driving to blame. Now I have also seen Getrags beaten harder than I would have ever beaten mine and they held up. It just isnt as great as everyone makes it out to be. I stick with the Isuzu in my 98 because in my opinion it is the better transmission, just costs a hell of a lot more to replace with a new one. ($2050 verses $450)

Did you even look at your shift forks? The synco is not just going to fail. I've never seen a pinion gear shatter (its the large one on the end of the output shaft FYI), but I have seen Getrag spiders break, and just about one of the ones that had, where from doing open diff burn outs.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:56 PM
To me it come's down to this

- GM used it, (well designed by then, but made in Muncie Indiana) in 90-94 in all Quad-4's and V6's to include the 3.4 DOHC and 3.1 Turbo. went to the Isuzu, for two reasons, Gm was becoming more into the global market, and Two, it was cheaper.

IMO, the older HM\NVG's are close, but not on the same build quality of a Getrag F23, but both are head over heals better then the Isuzu's.

Brian, I wish the pic of your car in your sig was a little wider, all you can see of mine is the rear half.

Indiglo Blue Z-24's of production year 2002 FTW!

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:37 PM
sweet guys. thanks i appreciate it
Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:10 PM
The gears inside the diff have always been refered to as spider and pinion gears in everything i read about differentials. On every one that I saw apart teh shift fork tips look to be in good condition. One of the customer cars that came in had a shattered second gear syncro. It was driven by an older gentleman who did 90% highway driving. Shift fork also doesnt explain my wasted 5th gear syncro. Worked fine one shift and then teh very next time it would not stay engaged.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:44 PM
^, yes it does, the locker ring could have cracked (not likely) but it sounds like the shift fork inserts were not putting it all the way into gear......

Someone’s T-56 is doing that in Reverse now......

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, July 24, 2008 7:11 PM
It shouldnt be a sudden failure due to the shift fork wearing. I could see if the plastic fell off but it was still there and in decent looking condition. There was no gradual lead up to teh 5th gear failure. It just happened. I still prefer the Isuzu in my car. I only stick with teh Getrag in my 02 because i dont feel like going through the hassel of swaping everything over and I can get them very cheap (0 mile units for $450).

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:07 AM
thanks for the advice on the 2.4 clutches...didnt know they would all work

Friday, July 25, 2008 11:40 AM
mitdr774 wrote:It shouldnt be a sudden failure due to the shift fork wearing. I could see if the plastic fell off but it was still there and in decent looking condition. There was no gradual lead up to teh 5th gear failure. It just happened. I still prefer the Isuzu in my car. I only stick with teh Getrag in my 02 because i dont feel like going through the hassel of swaping everything over and I can get them very cheap (0 mile units for $450).

When my second gear shift fork tips went I drove for a long time that way. Normal driving was fine, but when trying to race I could not get second gear. Finally to the point where it would not go in at all, because I wore the gear down. I'm trying to say for 5 gear wince you don't race into it it could happen and no notice. When we opened my tranny the tips were still there, at a glance they looked fine. After looking closely they were worn.

FU Tuning

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:22 PM
mitdr774 wrote:The gears inside the diff have always been refered to as spider and pinion gears in everything i read about differentials.

Ring and Pinion make up the FDR (Final Drive Ratio)..... the Ring bolts to the outside of the differential, the Pinion drives it. In a RWD car, the pinion is bolted to the end of the driveshaft (in a sense), on a FWD its on the end of the Output shaft.

The Spider gears are on the Inside of the diff. They transfer the energy from the diff spinning to driving the axles.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 6:18 AM
I am fully aware of how the ring and pinion gears work. I am just saying that in what I have read, and even in the GM training I had, the gears inside the diff have always bee refered to as spider and pinion gears.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:14 AM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:no, any 2.4 clutch will work all the 90-94, as long as you have a TOB.....

my wifes 00 Z has a 92 GTZ clutch in it now... works great.

Chris

let me rephrase that..

any 00-02 2.4 clutch....

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:52 PM
So...final consensus is to try to find a 90-94 getrag (preferably a 92 if avail). Will have to do minor adjustments and parts replacement to get it to work with my LD9.

I did ask this question earlier, but didn't see a direct response. Why can't I use the Fidanza flywheel and Exedy stage II clutch assy from the LD9 (currently in a 98 sunfire) any of the getrags?? The flywheel mates to the crank, not to the tranny...? Maybe more of a Noob question, but I'm curious.
Monday, July 28, 2008 3:13 PM
Direct Response....... The throw out bearing used with the 00+ Getrag does not like the stepped Isuzu clutch setup..... HOW EVER, you can use the Isuzu setup with the older 92-94 Getrag (almost the same throw out bearing as the Isuzu), or you can use the 00+ F23 setup (same flat style flywheel as the old Quad 4's)..... just for some reason people have problems with the throw out bearing leaking when using the Isuzu clutch in a F23 trans.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:00 PM
I have an isuzu tranny on my car and I have 248000+ km on it and its still going strong and thats with racing, daily driving, and I drive it hard as hell. I don't think they are half as bad as people think.....basically I have faith in the isuzu, but they don't make them anymore, and alot of people will not rebuild them casue no parts

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:39 PM
and what kind of times are you putting down?

and i doubt you put all the miles on......

GM still makes the trans........

not that i would know....................................................................or anything........................

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:06 PM
Actualy Isuzu makes them and they come straight from Japan. Was an odd feeling to pick up a crate from a Chevy dealer that had Isuzu in big letters on it.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 5:16 AM
hmmmm I have been looking for a new one for a while or rebuild mine(too many km), but I couldn't find any...I will check GM out.
And Chris, I put about 60,000 on it, and the rest were put on by a friend who use to own it. and I am only pulling 15's last I checkd cause I haven't put it on the track this year yet and I usually run fully loaded(, car-seat base, full interior, full-system, and w/e else is in the car).

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Friday, August 01, 2008 8:02 PM
I always run loaded....my F23 went 120K (MI) before it started to make noise, i also raced it for 2 years in 1/8 MI bracket.....

As far as the "weard" thing with Isuzu coming from a Chevy dealer...... Hope you never question were the DuraMax comes from.....

Or my GTO...LOL

Its a World Market. GM is just exploiting it.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Saturday, August 02, 2008 7:01 AM
Duramax also came from Isuzu but GM basicly traded most of their stake in Isuzu for the rights to teh Duramax. Bringing the Monaro over here was a mistake just like bringing teh Commadore will be a mistake. I hate the GTO because I had to work on them. The engine and trans were fine but everything else was turned to junk very fast due to the crappy roads in Mi. Although when there was the recall to replace the front struts, i was getting fairly fast as doing them.

Sunday, August 03, 2008 8:18 AM
I like my GTO. the fact that there are more C6's out there, and mine probably wasn't tied down as tight, it has had no problems. (34K)

Monaro\Commadore> M5/M6

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Friday, August 08, 2008 10:16 PM
Thanks for the info for using the Isuzu parts on the older getrags. I guess it's time to start hunting in the scrap yards!
Saturday, August 09, 2008 9:53 AM
I know about the two, I live in a crappy small city and both stealerships won't order it, just like both of them tried selling me the supercharger for 7,000 I wouldn't want to get rid of the isuzu she's been very reliable to me and if I can pull off couple more things like I plan to this year I should be able to prove isuzu is not so bad, but then again how many guys are running 14's or less with the isuzu?lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search