Want to toss Isuzu tranny for Getrag...is this the right one for 98 ld9? - Page 3 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Want to toss Isuzu tranny for Getrag...is this the right one for 98 ld9?
Saturday, August 09, 2008 12:18 PM
and those that are... whats done to the diff?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, August 09, 2008 3:21 PM
I have a friend that has exploded 3 Getrag diffs. Usualy the spiders that shatter, but the last one took out the 2 pinion gears as well.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 4:27 PM
and Brian's brothers stock 98 went through 4 isuzu's ...... just saying, one has a better "history"

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Saturday, August 09, 2008 10:29 PM
well it also depends what you do with the trannys, if you don't build on it to make it stronger then obviously they will die, as we all know can't really do one and leave the other thats looking for disaster, and a guy my dad goes to for his trannys said there are ways to build the isuzu stronger but he wasn't sure where to get the parts ( as he only did one of that class)

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Sunday, August 10, 2008 5:53 PM
AJ B wrote:I should be able to prove isuzu is not so bad, but then again how many guys are running 14's or less with the isuzu?lol

Our drag car has put down a best of 13.2@109 (or 13.2@99) with our Close Ratio Isuzu....... It was missing 5th, so we either had to ride the rev limiter for the last 350' or coast....... It's also sporting a fully welded diff, as we blew out the spider gears 2 or 3 times (Isuzu and Drag Radials = BOOOM). The Isuzu's also have a problem with the sleeve on the input shaft walking out, pushing out the seal and causing the trans to leak, its happened to two of our Isuzu transmissions. I'm putting in a F23 when I put the new engine in, sick of rebuilding the Isuzu.

My brother was hitting high 13's with his '98 on N2O, till the clutch started slipping...... after the clutch, the Isuzu's wouldn't hold together anymore, so in went the F23 (brand new, on the crate for $275 shipped).

All of our F23's are stock, other then a Team GREEN LSD insert, which we also ran in the Isuzu's at one point or another.

Parts to make the Isuzu stronger...... The diff from the Geo Storm (and possibly found in many pre-'93 Isuzu transmissions) had stronger spider gears in them, which I have used in a few Isuzu rebuilds. The only way to get them though is from Junk Yards, if you order new ones, they are the same as whats found in the newer Isuzu transmissions.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:01 PM
Gee thanks Brian for the boost of confidence lol , at least we know they can be used but don't last lol

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:56 PM
... thats why Project "cheep bastard" is the last Team Green car to have that POS tranny......

Lucky my 95 has a NVG in it!

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Sunday, August 10, 2008 7:26 PM
lol, I guess you can say that btu then again I will stick to mine till it blows

Sunday, August 24, 2008 8:07 PM
Isuzu parts

got my old laptop up and running, down loaded all my old bookmarks and came across this.

If I find more, I'll post them

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search