Getrag shifting issues... - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getrag shifting issues...
Sunday, August 03, 2008 9:26 AM
alright, I have my car almost completely back to stock. I have a couple more things to do before I can put it up for sale. I have to remove the NWF brake setup, coilovers/koni's, and repair the tranny. The tranny drives in all gears, shifts into all gears, and doesn't make any weird noises.

The issue I am having with the tranny is shifting into the gears. From a dead stop getting the car into 1st or 2nd is really tough, like I have to force it in. The car can be running or off. Sometimes when going from 1st into 2nd, it "goes" into 2nd and as I let the clutch out it kinda pops out and grinds, then I just put it in again and all is good.

I have found some info on teflon tips, and bending shift forks. I would like to have a good idea what I am looking for when I pull the tranny apart, and maybe even have some parts ready to go back in. Sadly while I am in there I will remove the team green LSD aswell.

Anyone have some guesses on which parts would be damaged?

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Re: Getrag shifting issues...
Saturday, August 09, 2008 12:54 PM
Why are you selling your car if you don't mind me asking?
Saturday, August 09, 2008 12:57 PM
I just bought a 2004 SRT4. any info on how to fix the tranny?

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Friday, December 05, 2008 2:47 PM
This was passed onto me on another site for adjusting the shifter

Remove your center console.

Put the car in neutral and wiggle the shifter around. The transmission will go into dead neutral position on its own. NOTE-On the back of the shifter assembly is a u-clip which slides front to back and locks the shifter in dead neutral.

Disconnect the shift cables from the shifter assembly. Use a small flat head and be extremly careful not to break these as you can only buy them again while buying a whole new shifter assembly ~$140 from GM. There is a little lip which is its locking mechanism. You'll see what I mean when you get under your console. If you having a problem going into gear, its most likely the main connector. The side to side pivot should be fine.

Put the shifter in dead neutral and slide the u-clip pin into the shifter. This will lock it in dead center. Once that is done, slide the shift cable back into the locking clip so its snug and lock the clip back down.

Make sure the car goes into all gears smoothly. All of the white gripping portion of the cable will probably be buried into the locking clip. At least mine was when I did both short throw shifters.

If there is still a problem, your synchros inside the transmission are most likely shot. If you want to save some money, you can find ANY F23 getrag transmission and swap internals. Its maybe a 6 out of 10 wrenches to do.

If you need a new shift cables..J-body Getrag shift cables - GM P/N 22707146
Friday, December 05, 2008 7:58 PM
Sorry missed this the first time. Did you get it fixed? Sounds like the tips on the shift fork. 1 and 2 share a shift fork.

FU Tuning

Friday, December 05, 2008 8:47 PM
Sorry .. disregard the comments in my note I passed on about the syncros .... that had to do with mine ..... i should have deleted it
Monday, December 08, 2008 6:41 AM
if its poping out you could have a bent linkage, otherwise yeah check for adjustments, i would check the sincros last, start with the cheapes repairs and work your way up

Monday, December 08, 2008 8:38 PM
Dan Geddes wrote:This was passed onto me on another site for adjusting the shifter

Remove your center console.

Put the car in neutral and wiggle the shifter around. The transmission will go into dead neutral position on its own. NOTE-On the back of the shifter assembly is a u-clip which slides front to back and locks the shifter in dead neutral.

Disconnect the shift cables from the shifter assembly. Use a small flat head and be extremly careful not to break these as you can only buy them again while buying a whole new shifter assembly ~$140 from GM. There is a little lip which is its locking mechanism. You'll see what I mean when you get under your console. If you having a problem going into gear, its most likely the main connector. The side to side pivot should be fine.

Put the shifter in dead neutral and slide the u-clip pin into the shifter. This will lock it in dead center. Once that is done, slide the shift cable back into the locking clip so its snug and lock the clip back down.

Make sure the car goes into all gears smoothly. All of the white gripping portion of the cable will probably be buried into the locking clip. At least mine was when I did both short throw shifters.

If there is still a problem, your synchros inside the transmission are most likely shot. If you want to save some money, you can find ANY F23 getrag transmission and swap internals. Its maybe a 6 out of 10 wrenches to do.

If you need a new shift cables..J-body Getrag shift cables - GM P/N 22707146

Man as soon as i get a chance im going to try this out, I hope it works...
Monday, November 07, 2011 9:50 PM
im getting a shift cable out of an '02 5spd sunfire at the junkyard tomorrow. this should fit my 02 Z24 5spd correct? i dont know what engine is in the sunfire. but they should use the same cables either way right?
Monday, November 07, 2011 10:22 PM
Brett Myers wrote:im getting a shift cable out of an '02 5spd sunfire at the junkyard tomorrow. this should fit my 02 Z24 5spd correct? i dont know what engine is in the sunfire. but they should use the same cables either way right?

Yes it will fit. All getrag cables in the 00+ J's work.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:04 AM
Have the same issue as you. Sometimes its better when I first start the car or its cold out. I'm thinking its probably the tranny and not the cables, because I can't even shift into 1st when coming to a stop sign until I'm almost completely stopped. I'm going to try and adjust the cables like stated. If it doesn't fix it i'm going to take it to AAMMCO and have them do their free 85 point tranny inspection.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:06 AM
Mr Newb wrote:Have the same issue as you. Sometimes its better when I first start the car or its cold out. I'm thinking its probably the tranny and not the cables, because I can't even shift into 1st when coming to a stop sign until I'm almost completely stopped. I'm going to try and adjust the cables like stated. If it doesn't fix it i'm going to take it to AAMMCO and have them do their free 85 point tranny inspection.

What tranny fluid are you running?

Not being able to get into first gear while still rolling is not really a issue. Short of how the tranny is designed. If running stock fluid it is worse. I have found this to be better with different tranny fluid.

I also usually go to second gear before going to first gear. This really helps.

FU Tuning

Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:06 PM
bought it used with 90k on it. I assume its oem fluid. I guess flushing it might help esp considering the temperature seems to effect it.
Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:24 PM
Royal Purple ATF is what I recommend, but B&M trick shift ATF, and Hurst ATF are also good.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search