Isuzu is "Missing" 4th gear, Like Blocked out of the gear? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Isuzu is "Missing" 4th gear, Like Blocked out of the gear?
Monday, October 06, 2008 11:20 AM
So I had to replace my Isuzu a while back because it Disintegrated. Well The new tranny was in the car before I found out It would not shift into 4th gear at all. Its like Something is blocking the gear. I cannot even try to force it into gear. No grinding or anything EVERY other gear is fine.

Cables are all clear along with linkage. I tried to shift directly on the tranny and it wont go into gear.

So I have never opened up a tranny, Any ideas as to weather its something I can fix? or is it something i should bring to a tranny shop?

Thanks

Re: Isuzu is "Missing" 4th gear, Like Blocked out of the gear?
Monday, October 06, 2008 12:01 PM
never had a gear 'blocked' on any of my Isuzu's before, have had one get stuck in 4th gear though... syncro broke in two and it was all she wrote.

you could be having a similar issue.

your doing a nice new engine, trust me... ditch the isuzu and get a getrag in there.

Monday, October 06, 2008 12:34 PM
Nah,Have a Flywheel and Clutch on its way here for the Isuzu. When I go back in a year or so and Do more headwork and the Oil pump swap conversion Ill prob do the Tranny swap also.

Monday, October 06, 2008 3:51 PM
Do Ian NVG swap. U can use all the izuzu parts.

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 5:24 AM
Wish I could But I cant, Different Mounts for sure.

Re: Isuzu is
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 10:50 AM
Different front mount only... and so long as you get it with the transmission like I did you are fine.

All the bolt holes line up except for 1 or 2.

You use a NVG Throwout bearing and an isuzu flywheel and clutch.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:41 PM
why would you knowingly put parts in when your just going to change them out in a year?

Wednesday, October 08, 2008 8:05 AM
Because then I can drive and enjoy my car for a year?

This is my primary car.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 1:25 PM
time to bring this back from the grave, has anyone else had this problem?as this is the one I currently have, sucks when driving through the mountains. anyways, I have seen (on a ford), where the "shifter tower" on the transmission was messed up causing this can this be possible on the isuzu? especially if ALL other gears work nicely? I know syncros can be the problems, but without a real tranny shop, and the right area to rip apart, figured Id throw this question up instead of starting new thread

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Thursday, January 05, 2012 9:02 AM
Had this problem in a 95couple Sunflower GT. 4th gear was inoperative. The synchronizer was bad. It eventually took out 3rd as well

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, January 05, 2012 12:40 PM
damn so we are not as lucky as fords lol, I was debating switching the "tower" if would do anything but wasnt sure, Im a little lazy this winter lol, and been working on other cars

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Friday, January 06, 2012 1:02 PM
i had kind of the opposite happen back in the day.. had it get STUCK in 4th, could not move it out, not even manually on the trans.

ended up being a syncro broken in half.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Saturday, January 07, 2012 10:02 AM
hmmmm this sucks last thing wanted to do was bring tranny to shop, as the tranny was redone 10k km ago but about 15 hour drive away lol

Saturday, January 07, 2012 12:29 PM
Double post FTW!

You posted the same thing in 2008 z yaaaa, in this thread.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Sunday, January 08, 2012 10:54 AM
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search