Stinky Clutch - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stinky Clutch
Monday, August 03, 2009 4:19 PM
I was out practicing some launches for the track last night, I was launching in 2nd gear being I spin in 1st and I know it isn't good to spin like that, for the differential.
I launched 2 times at 2500rpm and it did fine, but shortly after I shifted into 3rd I could smell the clutch.
It isn't slipping at all and it hasn't made any changes in the feel or driving. It just smelled horrible and still has a very minor smell in the engine bay.
Do I need to worry being it feels fine and has made no changes?
Thanks a ton!

Re: Stinky Clutch
Tuesday, August 04, 2009 12:44 PM
anyone??

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 4:52 PM
Just like breaks.. you smelt something, you caused it to wear out (some of it) .

If it doesn't slip, why worry?

Just don't be surprised when it goes.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 5:21 PM
Just wasn't sure if I needed to begin to worry about it.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 5:41 PM
did it to mine before the bash. its just residual smell

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:24 PM
so no worries then right now?

Did you notice any changes afterwards?

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 11:12 PM
Its fine, that smeel just means you wore it excessivley and shortened the life of the clutch. It will still work fine, just not for as long now since you probly wore off a few months worth of driving in a few minutes.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:49 PM
Well she is slipping pretty badly now when I rat on the car a bit.

What is a good clutch kit I can put on the car, being it is boosted and I take it to the track on occasion, stage 2?

What all should be done when replacing the clutch?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:00 PM
bump?

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:42 PM
Get a LuK stock replacement.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:30 PM
Where can I find the LuK replacements?
and what are your guy's 2 cents on flywheels.
Resurface, or purchase a new one? Or do I HAVE to resurface

Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:29 AM
SLOCAV wrote:What all should be done when replacing the clutch?

You'll replace the slave cylinder while you're in there, probably comes with the kit. Also, have the flywheel turned. When I did mine it cost me 22 bucks to have the flywheel turned and blasted (came back looking brand new). You'll want a nice flat smooth surface to break that new clutch that you just paid good money for into.

Jon Mick wrote:
i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 6:08 AM
thanks for the info!

Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:42 PM
LuK makes the GM clutch along with Exedy and several other brands. Complete kit with disk, pressure plate, throwout/slave, and alignment tool will probably be around $400, maybe a little less depending on where you find it. My 98 was treated to an Exedy clutch when the stocker went and it was identical. Same with when I replaced the clutch the first time in my 02. The factory one was even stamped LuK.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:01 PM
^ exactly there are a few good companies out there for replacements 250-500 depending where it comes from and what brand exedy,accel,luk,clutchmasters. always true a used flywheel or get a lightened aftermarket aluminum unit. the reason u smell the clutch is because it took so much energy to make that clutch grab when in a gear thats too tall, it burned away a bunch of disk surface in the process of the clutch making more revolutions than the gear its going into, having to speed up the rotation of the gear by try to grab harder and faster. causing it to slip until the gear reaches its power band.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:07 PM
You weren't spinning the tires, but you sure were putting that much more strain on the system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:36 PM
2nd gear launches save diffs, but destroy clutches. id say its a willing trade off when you think of it as 250-500 for a clutch compared to 1000-2000 for a lsd diff or new stock tranny. imo

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search