4T40E Performance rebuild using IPT parts - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
4T40E Performance rebuild using IPT parts
Thursday, October 08, 2009 2:35 PM
What's up every body.

I just received my Import Performance rebuild kit, Force Motor Solenoid and Modified Valve Body in the mail today. I also have a Team Green LSD insert, a Yank 3000 stall converter. Yet to be purchased is the TTR auto tran mount. How many people have done a build up on their 4T40E? If so what can I expect? Did you use the same rebuild kit or has any one purchased a IPT transmission?

Just looking for insight. Hoping for night and day difference in shifting and rsponse from tranny. (with the obvious HP holding ability increased)

Re: 4T40E Performance rebuild using IPT parts
Thursday, October 08, 2009 4:53 PM
wow!! someone finally got real serious. very nice dood.

take pics PLEASE!!! mind telling price? $$$!!!

I must confess... I feel like a monster!
Thursday, October 08, 2009 5:24 PM
nice!

*subscribed

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Thursday, October 08, 2009 6:22 PM
Let me know how it holds up im debating on building my 4t40e or swapping in a 5 speed

http://www.fquick.com/Caboose73
Thursday, October 08, 2009 7:49 PM
z yaaaa wrote:wow!! someone finally got real serious. very nice dood.

take pics PLEASE!!! mind telling price? $$$!!!

Hell yeah. When I drop the parts off on Monday I am including a desposable camera so he can document the build for me and I will snap some pictures of what actually came in the kit.

Re-build kit $495
Modified Valve Body $595
Force Motor Solenoid $106
Team Green LSD $200
Yank 3000 $150 (on ebay)
Auto trans interceptor $50 (Ebay)
trans R & R, Cryo treating, custom in line filter, braided SS trans lines, basicly every thing else that needs to happen $1600

Then on top of that I also had to pick up a new GM flexplate and GM starter. Both the calipers were blown as well so I ended up upgrading to OEM's 12" big brake kit with drilled power slot rotors, Camaro brake calipers and Hawk pads

Saturday, October 10, 2009 9:29 AM
hmmmm, I just pulled out a loan to get mine rebuilt-
all raybesto blue line parts, phantom grip insert, rebuild converter to 3300.

Also you really don't need the force solenoid or the shift plus as HP Tuners can adjust the line pressure.

very interested to see pics, I think the only other person openly stating they built their 4t40e was "datwhitecavy" besides you and me.

good luck and please post picks!!!

Saturday, October 10, 2009 9:41 AM
Bonnet was going to. I believe he had all the parts but went to the sandbox and came back decided to go another way.

I accidentally the SHIFT LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Saturday, October 10, 2009 9:55 AM
M-1 Erma Jean wrote:Bonnet was going to. I believe he had all the parts but went to the sandbox and came back decided to go another way.

I remember this as well, but it never went through, in fact were has he been, does he even have the cavy still???

Monday, October 12, 2009 3:58 AM
You missed the most important part in my opinion the clutch packs.
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Performance trans and parts

Trans Overhaul Kit 4T40e

Raybestos Blue Plate Special Stage-1 Complete Module # RCPS-29
4T40E/4T45E Trans
RPT Stage 1# R600100, Forward, 1995-Up, 8684445
RPT Stage 1# R600110, Direct, 1995-Up, 8684415
RPT Stage 1# R600120, Intermediate, 1995-Up, 8684322
RPT Stage 1# R600130, Coast, 1995-Up, 8684282
RPT Stage 1# R600140, Reverse, 1995-Up, 8684266

Team Green LSD or Phantom LSD...or this LSD

Level Ten Trans

Yank 3000 stall Torque Converter, "No longer made" can find one form a 4T60E or is it 4T65E....can't remember.

Blue where for 4T40E 2800rpm stall
Red where for 4t40E 3000rpm stall
purple fit our cars, but are made for 3800 if i remember correctly and stall about 3500 rpm.

A whole bunch of 4T40E pin outs and everything.

IPt Trans Controller....

B&M Shift Plus #70380, Auto trans Interceptor "No longer made", or HPTuners to adjust shift points and firmness.

Trans-break by Rossler..... 4L60E/4L65E, 4L80E/4L85E, 4T40E, 4T65E available for us.

Some helpful trans info...from the 4T65E boys
Turbotech TRans Mount

Driveshaft Shop Front Axle Level 2 Chevrolet Cavalier/Sunfire 1995-05 - 300 HP

I thinks thats good for now.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, October 12, 2009 5:10 AM
subscribed

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, October 12, 2009 8:52 AM
Anyone using a trans brake? Id be interested in seeing how well that works.

Monday, October 12, 2009 9:51 AM
One person is, but I can not remember their name.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, October 12, 2009 12:53 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:You missed the most important part in my opinion the clutch packs.

Really, well...

According to:

IPT's website

IPT Performance Transmission Rebuild Kit- 4T40-E and 4T45-E

IPT now offers High Performance Master Rebuild Kits for many GM FWD transmissions. These kits include all necessary seals, gaskets, filters, shifting bands, friction clutches and reaction plates that are required when rebuilding transmissions. The materials and parts that are selected for inclusion in these kits are the same as the ones that are installed in our Performance Transmissions. We utilize only the type of clutch and reaction plate material that we feel is best suited for each particular unit.

Are the friction clutches and the reaction plates not considered clutch packs? If thats the case I have something else to order. I am not doing the work I am having it professionally done by: Kevin at Pro Transmissions of Tampa

I have not had the chance to drop off my rebuild kit yet.

Monday, October 12, 2009 6:32 PM
Josh G. wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:You missed the most important part in my opinion the clutch packs.

Really, well...

According to:

IPT's website

IPT now offers High Performance Master Rebuild Kits for many GM FWD transmissions. These kits include all necessary seals, gaskets, filters, shifting bands, friction clutches and reaction plates that are required when rebuilding transmissions. The materials and parts that are selected for inclusion in these kits are the same as the ones that are installed in our Performance Transmissions. We utilize only the type of clutch and reaction plate material that we feel is best suited for each particular unit.

Are the friction clutches and the reaction plates not considered clutch packs? If thats the case I have something else to order. I am not doing the work I am having it professionally done by: Kevin at Pro Transmissions of Tampa

I've never heard of those components maybe you mean...
Friction dics and pressure plates which are both part of the clutch pack.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:48 PM
so what id like to know is if installing their 'rebuild' kit will actually help to reduce how much power the trans robs...

anybody know?

$495 seems pretty low for all the parts accociated. and near $3000 for a complete trans? what gives? does it really cost $2500 to rebuild one of our trans?

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:00 PM
Josh G. wrote:

Really, well...

According to:

IPT's website

Last I looked that wasn't included......but I'd go with the blues I posted. Everyone that has them REALLY likes them, and they hold power fine.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:11 PM
It's $3000 for a complete new transmission with all the parts installed; not to do the stuff to your current one.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:31 PM
quote=z yaaaa]so what id like to know is if installing their 'rebuild' kit will actually help to reduce how much power the trans robs...

anybody know?

No
Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:05 PM
updates??!?!?!?!!

"It's called reading! Top to bottom, left to right... a group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps."
Friday, October 16, 2009 7:40 AM
I dropped off my parts yesterday, ordered my TTR Auto mount today and I am currently waiting on my spacers and brake lines from OEM. I have to drop off funds and parts next week and then the ball should get rolling. In addition to what I listed I also have to get a bushing set, trans filter, braided trans lines, 3 Gallons of trans fluid.

After buying the parts here is what it broke down as to so far

R&R of the tranny $500
Rebuilding tranny $700
Parts so far $1850 (TTR mount, Transtar rebuild kit, Raybesto's Clutch packs, Force Solenoid, Modified Valve body, Team Green LSD, Yank 3000 stall)

When adding it all up it sure seemed like a lot of money until I seen the JDM Subaru Wrx STi Tranny they were working on. Just the upgraded gears on that thing alone ran the owner $5,000.

Friday, October 16, 2009 10:11 PM
i love the look of ur car man, rockin the 4 door!

Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:25 AM
sweet! keep us updated!

Saturday, October 17, 2009 6:37 AM
blucavvy wrote:i love the look of ur car man, rockin the 4 door!

Thanks man. It's got a long way to go before she looks like that again. New kit, 4 door wide body fender flares and finish shaving door handles. Plus after 8 years I finally have side skirts!!!! LOL

Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:55 AM
lol, i'm finishing mine up as we speak, now i just gotta do somethin bout the rear bumper. the build sounds amazing! keep the updates coming.

Saturday, October 17, 2009 9:05 AM
Joseph R wrote:
I've never heard of those components maybe you mean...
Friction dics and pressure plates which are both part of the clutch pack.

Right out of the GM catolog...

Quote:

PLATE, FWD CLU (STEEL) (ACDelco #8684444)

and
Quote:

PLATE, FWD CLU (UNIQUE FRICTION MTRL) (ACDelco #24234039)

Autos do not have a "pressure plate"......

There 7 FIBER and STEEL plates that make up ONE clutch pack in a stock 4T40E...

Sounds to me like he got a good overhaul kit...

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search