4T40E Performance rebuild using IPT parts - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 4T40E Performance rebuild using IPT parts
Saturday, October 17, 2009 12:00 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:
Joseph R wrote:
I've never heard of those components maybe you mean...
Friction dics and pressure plates which are both part of the clutch pack.

Right out of the GM catolog...

Quote:

PLATE, FWD CLU (STEEL) (ACDelco #8684444)

and
Quote:

PLATE, FWD CLU (UNIQUE FRICTION MTRL) (ACDelco #24234039)

Autos do not have a "pressure plate"......

There 7 FIBER and STEEL plates that make up ONE clutch pack in a stock 4T40E...

Sounds to me like he got a good overhaul kit...

Chris

My mistake a clutch pack has steel clutch plates and friction disks, along with one PRESSURE PLATE right before the retaining ring at the opposite end of the piston in the clutch pack.
Definitions vary per person.

Monday, October 19, 2009 6:33 AM
HENCE why I said GM....

YA know, who made it?

on one end of the clutches you have this

Quote:

08684280 04.164 RING, DIR CLU SPR RET (ACDelco #8684280)

And on the other end
Quote:

08685875 04.163 PLATE, DIR CLU BKG (ACDelco #8685875) J (MN4)

still have never seen a "pressure plate"

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Monday, October 19, 2009 4:10 PM
Caveman wrote:
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:
Joseph R wrote:
I've never heard of those components maybe you mean...
Friction dics and pressure plates which are both part of the clutch pack.

Right out of the GM catolog...

Quote:

PLATE, FWD CLU (STEEL) (ACDelco #8684444)

and
Quote:

PLATE, FWD CLU (UNIQUE FRICTION MTRL) (ACDelco #24234039)

Autos do not have a "pressure plate"......

There 7 FIBER and STEEL plates that make up ONE clutch pack in a stock 4T40E...

Sounds to me like he got a good overhaul kit...

Chris

My mistake a clutch pack has steel clutch plates and friction disks, along with one PRESSURE PLATE right before the retaining ring at the opposite end of the piston in the clutch pack.
Definitions vary per person.

A clutch pack will always begin and end with a steel plate and more than likely it ends with a "pressure plate"

You said seven steel plates and seven "fiber plates" this is the arrangement in the clutch pack then:

A. Steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber

or vise versa...

B. Fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel-fiber-steel

See exibit B began with a "fiber plate" doesnt work this way. Therefore exibit A is correct.
That being said exibit A must end with a steel plate which absorbs ALL of the original impact and essentially holds all the disks together so it must be a little thicker than the rest of the steel plates

Piston=P "Pressure Plate"=PP Fiber/friction plates=F Steel plates=S (150psi or more of force)-P--->SFSFSFSFSFSFSF-PP <---You see the "Pressure Plate"

The last steel plate in the clutch pack is said to be the thickest one often referred to as the "pressure plate" since it takes the biggest beating. It usually NEVER needs to
be replaced hence why its not included in the GM overhaul kit.
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:18 AM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:HENCE why I said GM....

YA know, who made it?

on one end of the clutches you have this

Quote:

08684280 04.164 RING, DIR CLU SPR RET (ACDelco #8684280)

And on the other end
Quote:

08685875 04.163 PLATE, DIR CLU BKG (ACDelco #8685875) J (MN4)

still have never seen a "pressure plate"

Chris

O.K.

If you say so.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, October 23, 2009 7:57 AM
Updates?

My tranny was built for boost, the only thing that wasn't touched was the valve body I believe. I had installed new GM STEELS, GM band, TG lsd, YANK 3000 stall, and the reybestos blue plate clutch packs. Im using Moblie 1 SYTH fluid with a tranny cooler as well.

Also, don't bother with that Intercepter, just use HPT like I did to tune the tranny.

Car has been dyno tuned and raced at the track, Tranny his olding up great!!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, October 23, 2009 9:16 AM
The only updates I have is that he started on Wednesday pulling the tranny and called to tell me the Cryo treating was going to run me a $160 including the flex plate.

As far as the auto trans Interceptor I am going to sell it on here or ebay. I purchased that SOOOO long ago and never even used it. It sits currently plugged in right now but there is no point since it will all be handle by HPT in the next few weeks.

So you run Synthetic trans fluid. My tranny guy was saying that he wants me to run Discount autos brand of stand ATF. Then he had a additive that he is going to mix in.

Friday, October 23, 2009 10:39 AM
Well once you get your tranny back yea just use any old standard ATF for about 1 or 2 thousand miles. Then switch to Synthetic ATF. Much smoother shift, plus your brand new parts will last a lot longer.

306 TQ
Friday, October 23, 2009 11:17 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:Updates?

My tranny was built for boost, the only thing that wasn't touched was the valve body I believe. I had installed new GM STEELS, GM band, TG lsd, YANK 3000 stall, and the reybestos blue plate clutch packs. Im using Moblie 1 SYTH fluid with a tranny cooler as well.

Also, don't bother with that Intercepter, just use HPT like I did to tune the tranny.

Car has been dyno tuned and raced at the track, Tranny his olding up great!!

what tranny cooler are you using ?????

i got a spare 4t40e i plan to rebuild completely and was looking at external tranny coolers......thou my nice big rad is helping with cooling

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Friday, October 23, 2009 11:54 AM
Jason, just a Hayden one. Got it from Autozone. It's about a 10L x 4W one.

306 TQ
Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:14 AM
Man I just got my TTR Auto mount in the mail a few minutes ago. I first off want to say in no way, shape or form am I a mechanic. I know enough about cars to be dangerous but, I will say this. DAMN that mount is HUGE. I had no idea how big the mount was or would be. I was assuming it was oh I dont know around the size of my hand. I was WAY off on that prediction.

Pretty Bad @$$ looking mount tho.

Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:34 AM
^^^ lol why do you think none were ever produced before TTR?

because that mother f'er is an intricate bastard.

I must confess... I feel like a monster!

Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:15 AM
That mount is BAD A$$! I will take some pictures today after football. Then tomorrow when I drop it off I will either drop off a camera for my tranny tech or snap some pictures myself while I am there. Supposedly the trans is out and in the process of being tore down and sent to be cryo treated.

Any one that has built there 4T40E, Did you cryo treat as well or just replace parts?

Monday, October 26, 2009 4:16 AM
Josh G. wrote:That mount is BAD A$$! I will take some pictures today after football. Then tomorrow when I drop it off I will either drop off a camera for my tranny tech or snap some pictures myself while I am there. Supposedly the trans is out and in the process of being tore down and sent to be cryo treated.

Any one that has built there 4T40E, Did you cryo treat as well or just replace parts?

once i get my turbo setup installed in the car.....my next task is the tranny. i thought about the cryo treat but man its alot of money so i figured i would just rebuild the spare one i have with various parts and maybe slap a external cooler and try that out for now before i get that serious into it with cryo treat

Monday, October 26, 2009 10:00 AM
Cryo treating is only costing me a $160 for everything including the flex plate

Monday, October 26, 2009 10:07 AM
^^^Damn good deal.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, October 26, 2009 2:02 PM
Hell yea thats a good deal. The THREE places I tried in state and 1 out of state charged by the POUND to cryo treat, and I needed a minum of about 20-25 lbs to even place an order. None of my buddies around here needed anything done so I was SOL on that. I didn't even think about the flex plate. I guess I could of thrown some random shiat in there but never thought about it. Plus I just used the cryo money for my 13 quarts of Mobile 1 Synth tranny fluid

306 TQ
Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:23 AM
Josh G. wrote:Cryo treating is only costing me a $160 for everything including the flex plate

o rly and where in FL would this place be

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:47 AM
Tampa, S&R performance

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:04 AM
Josh G. wrote:Tampa, S&R performance

nice pm me some info and maybe down the road unless you are doing your rebuild before i get to mine we can get this done at the same time

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:03 AM
Mine is being done right now. Like the tansmission is no longer in the car and is currently in a million pieces. I am actually waiting for the call to say my car is ready to be dropped off at the next stop to have the new 3" exhaust, 3" down pipe and direct port nitrous set up installed. Then dyno and finish tuning.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 3:46 PM
Josh G. wrote:Mine is being done right now. Like the tansmission is no longer in the car and is currently in a million pieces. I am actually waiting for the call to say my car is ready to be dropped off at the next stop to have the new 3" exhaust, 3" down pipe and direct port nitrous set up installed. Then dyno and finish tuning.

pics or band !!!!! ROFL

Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:05 PM
What's up every one. I have some pictures I will post tonight. Not the greatest quality because aparently some one was to stupid to realize that the lens on my nice Nikon camera fogs up when going from an A/C cooled car to the humid Tampa, FL air.

I would be the one that was to stupid to realize that....

In any event the car just got put up yesterday, trans yanked last night I snapped maybe 4 pictures of the car up on the lift and of the tranny out on the bench and the replacement parts.

What I have learned today:

I have a bad piston in the transmission so this went from being for the sake of handling boost to handling the daily grind regardless.

Also we are putting 4 x 90mm computer fans in a custom shroud to cool the trans cooler. The reason for this move is because the space between my intercooler and my custom radiator would not allow me to place the cooler in between them. So where my stock battery was located (now located in the trunk) is where the transcooler is going to be located. ( was previously in the drivers fender well, I will state that I am not a mechanic and this was my stupidity putting it there)

Thursday, November 05, 2009 7:31 PM
Whats up guys,

Sorry for the super delayed and not very good quality pictures.

Obviously there is my stock 4T40E

The new O.E.M. Brake kit and all of the parts in the box for the trans build. Sorry I am a dumb @$$ and didn't open the box up.

The beast sitting tranny-less on the lift. I"m pretty sure some where along the lines I mentioned the car was a mess

The giant hole where the tranny use to be.
Note: The savvy oil supply line for the turbo

Update:

I picked up the car today and drove it for the first time in almost 4 years. Also the first time with a built transmission and running boost. My drive was short but absolutely amazing. The transmission shifts so smooth, firm and crisp all at the same time. I drove maybe 2/3 miles to the next shop. when I finally got off the main road (tags been expired since 2005) and on to the side street I was able to give the car some gas. The car really feels smooth running boost with the tranny. You know I wish there was an accurate way to depict how much different the car is now compared to before the build but all I can really say is the car doesn't feel like it drags @$$ any more. It actually feels like it can get up and go some place. I guess the turbo helped that LOL

Friday, November 06, 2009 3:58 AM
wow man glad to hear it ....... once i pay for my turbo manifold next on my list is my tranny........ maybe i need to head down south to get mine rebuilt as well

Friday, November 06, 2009 4:08 AM
Contact Kevin at Pro Transmission of Tampa. Kevin is a very straight shooter and I was able to pay him in lump sums because I didnt have every dime for the build at once. So once I paid it off he got to work and 3-5 days later the tranny was out, built and back in.

Pro Transmission's Of Tampa

If anybody goes to him make sure you tell him Josh sent you. I dont get a kick back or anything but I would love for him to know I am bringing him buisness.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search