I need clutch options! (NO SPEC!!) - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: I need clutch options! (NO SPEC!!)
Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:29 PM
ive got personal access to the blly products, i run a stage 4 in my car and its been awesome

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:37 PM
4 or 6 puck?

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:42 PM
LAFNGAS - Where did you get yours from? I may need to price a stage 4 if my stage 3 doesn't hold up. I bought mine from Raven and it wasn't cheap by any stretch.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 6:38 AM
Raven is the best/cheapest place to buy bully. I would go with a Bully stg. 3 or 4. We are running a stg 4 right now and it is an amazing clutch. I can show pics of what our car did to a spec stg 3 lol

Thursday, February 04, 2010 11:50 AM
I'm on my stock clutch, 110,000kms, 300ish drag passes, 200 of those launching at 5000rpm on slicks, 200 2nd gear burnouts in the water box, beaten almost ever time I drive it on the street........Never once had a single hiccup or issue with it.

My throwout bearing is going tho, it chatters when its cool outside (under 10*C) for the first 2-3 engagements.

Just gonna put a new clutch in when I change it and it will be another OEM/Luk clutch when I do.

I'd take the chance with the stocker, you can replace it a few times even before you equal the cost of one Bully clutch im sure.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:27 PM
Thanks guys for all the input.

I see no real reason to go with anything other than a LUK at this point.

It just fits the budget much better than others.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:37 PM
damn... i think id like to drive a car with a bully in it. they sound right as rain from what im reading here....

Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:13 PM
Money dosent grow on trees for me dude. Im just trying to keep up with what I can afford.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:13 PM
jmarks82 wrote:Raven is the best/cheapest place to buy bully. I would go with a Bully stg. 3 or 4. We are running a stg 4 right now and it is an amazing clutch. I can show pics of what our car did to a spec stg 3 lol

What happened to your stage 3? How much power was it running? I'm not sure if the stage 3 will handle 300whp. As for purchasing the clutch, would have to look around at prices but I think I paid right around $900 for my stage 3. Plus I will never deal with raven ever again, but thats here nor there. Anyways, I don't know how the stock clutch held up for you guys but mine started slipping after a while with the 190whp.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:28 PM
Matthew Jollymore wrote:LAFNGAS - Where did you get yours from? I may need to price a stage 4 if my stage 3 doesn't hold up. I bought mine from Raven and it wasn't cheap by any stretch.

i bought mine through myself, as im a dealer for them

Vince: i run a 6 puck

brandon- wish we couldve had things work better for your bully setup but regardless im happy you got a clutch in your car and making great passes again!!!!

matt- i can beat $900 easily especially if you are in canada as well, i already got vince's priced out and once he has the $ its being sent out

Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:30 PM
wow my stage 4 is under 900....

Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:36 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:wow my stage 4 is under 900....

yeah, you bet your ass it is, holy @!#$ $900 is crazy for that price vince can buy the clutch from me and still make a months payment of car insurance still lol

Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:43 PM
I have had a SPEC stage 2 clutch in my car for about 3 years now. I originally put in a SPEC flywheel with it but that didn't turn out so well (its now in two parts). I make about 25 passes down the track a year and it can never handle more then 4-6 consecutive passes before it gets too hot and starts to slip under anything but easy driving. To add to my troubles, recently if I drive the car hard the clutch starts to smell/overheat somewhat easily, worryingly easily. I have experienced the same problems most people have said about their SPEC clutches. I am not making very much power, I just want a clutch that can take the abuse I give it.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Friday, February 05, 2010 1:28 PM
LAFNGAS - Well I was just chatting with the guy that is going to be doing my tuning and he said well see how it holds up on the dyno and if I need a new one I will be hitting you up. I have a feeling I will be needing a new clutch at some point this summer as I might need more than 300whp to keep up to my buddies civic . Anyways, I will let you know how I make out. If I need one I will be ordering from anyone but Raven. I have been hearing things about him and there appears to be more feelings similar to mine but hey, to each their own.

Friday, February 05, 2010 8:33 PM
Matthew Jollymore wrote:
jmarks82 wrote:Raven is the best/cheapest place to buy bully. I would go with a Bully stg. 3 or 4. We are running a stg 4 right now and it is an amazing clutch. I can show pics of what our car did to a spec stg 3 lol

What happened to your stage 3? How much power was it running? I'm not sure if the stage 3 will handle 300whp. As for purchasing the clutch, would have to look around at prices but I think I paid right around $900 for my stage 3. Plus I will never deal with raven ever again, but thats here nor there. Anyways, I don't know how the stock clutch held up for you guys but mine started slipping after a while with the 190whp.

LOL all the spring pockets were cracked with pieces missing. It didnt like 400+ thats all i know!

Yeah our stage 4 was way under $900

Saturday, February 06, 2010 5:21 PM
I have a spec stage 2 clutch. It's been good till here lately. It's not disenguaging fully now. I have put damn near 120k miles on it tho. I'm going to clean my clutch fluid res out this spring and hope it helps the enguagement out. If not I want a stock one again if I can find one for a dicent price.

Sunday, February 07, 2010 10:00 PM
i have one with only 50000 miles on it......

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Monday, February 08, 2010 2:28 AM
Question to those of you that have had bad luck with spec... did you follow the break-in procedure to a tee (be honest)?

Incase I sound like a sarcastic jerk, that was a serious question. Sucks that you guys lost that money, but I'm hoping to learn from other's mistakes...

Help support the JBO! CLICK HERE!
Tuesday, February 09, 2010 2:03 PM
stage 3+ spec here...

No problems probably 30k miles, 50 12 sec passes on it countless 13 sec passes...

Just pulled it out due to valve breaking, look good. I'm gonna reuse it!

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Daniel Simoes wrote:Question to those of you that have had bad luck with spec... did you follow the break-in procedure to a tee (be honest)?

Incase I sound like a sarcastic jerk, that was a serious question. Sucks that you guys lost that money, but I'm hoping to learn from other's mistakes...

No.

But I fail to see how it would cause a "hunting" clutch peddle. (my real compliant)

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:32 PM
z yaaaa wrote:damn... i think id like to drive a car with a bully in it. they sound right as rain from what im reading here....

Believe me, much better than spec stg 2-3. Plus it held up to 30+ psi from a turbonetics GTK..however much power that made

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:01 AM
Truthfully I haven't come across a single clutch manufacture out there that has been worth a damn in the higher WHP/WTQ for daily driving. I ran a Spec 2+ and a 2 at one point in my cars and both had hunting engagement issues just like everyone seems to have (this is more a pressure plate issue I'm convinced). I never did kill a clutch by Spec but I did kill their flywheel.

I just went back to the stock pressure plate/clutch/flywheel and to my amazement it has been holding 350 hp/ 300 ft/lbs tq for a long time. I'm not going to say it's the answer because it isn't as it does break free around 5500RPM (sometimes), but It doesn't get much better for daily driving.

I don't know much about the Bully stuff but I am curious if it really is getting the nice engagement and holding the TQ you guys are throwing at it. I want something that can hold the power but still have at least SOME decent daily drive-ability. Consistent engagement at the track would be a nice change too.

LAFNGAS if you read this shoot me a PM for some pricing and some more details if you would I am in the market for a decent clutch......

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:28 PM
man, i had luck with my stg4 spec. idk how everyone has had problems, i think i drive my crap harder in one sumer than anyone in a year..ive hot lapped it numerous times with hoosier quick time pros, 3500rpm clutch dump at 22psi and i dd'd it every day

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:28 AM
-Matt-

I think your statement is exactly the problem with SPECS products they are hit and miss. I have been through SPECs with no problems and others with problems. Their Flywheel was the final straw for me with their crap which is a completely different story all on its own but again like you and even myself have mentioned sometimes SPEC is fine but the majority have problems. I have to say I figured it was just user error or installation error in a lot of cases until I started getting the same things happening. The majority of SPECS issue though I am pretty sure are pressure plate related with our cars.

There are plenty of other car makes though that have really good luck with SPEC line so perhaps its just something with our platform. No clue............

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Friday, February 26, 2010 12:31 PM
haha i just returned my spec stage 2+ from my other car, it was crap.

~1996 Cavalier LS 2.4L (auto)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search