Getrag full metal shifter (interest?) - Page 3 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Getrag full metal shifter (interest?)
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:30 PM
Wow, not sure how I messed that up...here ya go...

DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:I've personally wanted to try a 2" weighted ball knob for a while but they tend to push anywhere from $50-$100 almost.

Don't you work in a machine shop? I'm not sure how much weight you are looking for, but can't you just cut-drill-thread a trailer hitch ball?

I have no signiture

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:02 PM
PJ and I work at a factory, and have access to a small machine shop (a few drill presses, 2 vertical mills, and a lathe). Unfortunately both of our knowledge on the proper use of these machines is limited to what we've managed to figure out on our own since no one who works there is actually a qualified machinist (although some THINK they are). So he's a bit limited as to what he can and can't machine.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:46 PM
PJ, you tell me the thread you need and I can do it for you. Perks of having a Tool and Die shop in your garage, haha

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:52 PM
dieing and taping is no problem, its lathing the shaft down to 7/16" that would have been a problem. I solved this by simply using 7/16" shaft to begin with.

our lathe is a POS. it needs to be true'd up but our company is cheaper than @!#$ so they won't pay for it to be done. Its "good enough"

The other thing is our mills are NOT CNC. completely manual.

so I have the threaded shaft problem solved, the only thing is I'll let the end-user figure out what to do about a knob... factory will work if you can save it, B&M will work or any other generic 7/16-20 knob... pistol grip, t-handle, ball, whatever.

and of course slip-fits will work too no issue.

Thursday, September 02, 2010 1:55 PM
Just found out about the B&M and started seaching here to find one and found this thread.
If you go through with it which looks like you will i'd be very interested.

"Thank you little roots; Stay strong." Chris Farley
Friday, September 03, 2010 4:48 PM
I thought b&m was 12mmx1.75?

Friday, September 03, 2010 5:01 PM
Sorry meant m12x1.25?

Friday, September 03, 2010 7:19 PM
been working on a design for the frame. proving to be a bit more difficult than I expected since I'm trying to make this repeatable and easy to make.

I'm getting there tho spent a few hours messing around with it today trying to figure out the best course of action.

Thursday, September 09, 2010 4:21 PM
ok ordered the steel for the frame today from two different suppliers.

took me a few days to get a good idea of the best way to go about making the frame. got a pretty decent design that will be easy to repeat by hand and still look half decent.

Friday, September 10, 2010 9:07 AM
impatiently waiting

Friday, September 10, 2010 5:20 PM
got the steel for the baseplate, drilled it, mocked it up in my daily driver and took some measurements.

it'll fit nicely under the center console.

so far so good.
I'm making templates as I go so I can repeat the parts easily for production.

Friday, September 10, 2010 7:45 PM
worked on the cable retainer. figured out a nice clean way to keep the cables in place without having to copy the stock 'snap in' design.

quick and easy solution. I messed up the prototype version (will only have 2 screws) but the production version will have 3 screws.

finally coming together =)

I also ordered some different steel for the frame that will make machining easier assuming it will fit. depending on how long it takes for me to get that steel, it should take me about another day of tweaking to get one mounted in my daily driver and functioning.

Friday, September 10, 2010 9:14 PM
reading this daily

Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:01 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:reading this daily

no kidding, I'm tempted to dig into the emergency savings to buy this because I'm worried I'm going to break the damn stock shifter while doing a buck 10 in a corner (today was a fun and safe day).

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, September 13, 2010 9:24 AM
Listening.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:02 AM
.....also listening....intently

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:58 PM
have you ever looked into other cars shifters and compared, a buddy of mine had a boomba racing shifter for his srt-4, i found it very interesting in how it worked but never took pics before he sold his car.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:59 PM
gmanz24 (The Bash Whore) wrote:have you ever looked into other cars shifters and compared, a buddy of mine had a boomba racing shifter for his srt-4, i found it very interesting in how it worked but never took pics before he sold his car.

those things are retarded short throw a srt i just did some work on has one and it a in. movement from 1st to 2nd

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:30 AM
Glad to see more progress happening! Waiting for the final result!!

Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:09 AM
interested

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:03 PM
Boosted2point4 wrote:
gmanz24 (The Bash Whore) wrote:have you ever looked into other cars shifters and compared, a buddy of mine had a boomba racing shifter for his srt-4, i found it very interesting in how it worked but never took pics before he sold his car.

those things are retarded short throw a srt i just did some work on has one and it a in. movement from 1st to 2nd

lol use commas but yea those things are ridiculously short, like difficult short but the mechanics of one is what i would look into, the design was cool.

Friday, September 17, 2010 8:33 PM
wow what was i thinking lol....should of went to bed that night

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Saturday, September 18, 2010 8:07 PM
^yeah, i had a seizure tyring to decipher that sentence.

"You can only feed them semen for so long before their legs fall off."

Monday, September 20, 2010 11:29 PM
just to keep the juices flowin....

prototype almost finished. I needed to make some serious revisions in order to get it to fit comfortably under the center console.

I also need to make some minor revisions to the cable adapters and then I need to weld/ bolt the cable mount in place and its ready to rock.

I had to lower the pivots in order to fit under the console.. still higher than the stocker, but not as much as I wanted it to be.. probably for the better.

keep in mind the production versions will look slightly different since I had to modify my original plan on the prototype.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:51 AM
LOVE IT

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search