Poppin' axles (need help) - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Poppin' axles (need help)
Friday, October 29, 2010 3:27 PM
i have a 96 sunfire w/ 3sp auto

so... i've been popping the inner cv joint. only happens when you're at full lock to the left. just started happening after owning the car for almost 2 years with no probs
it's happened to the OG axle, a new one, and now a used one. it's happening right away, not like after a week.

any ideas???

Re: Poppin' axles (need help)
Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:09 PM
From what I've read/been told (there is a thread somewhere here in the trans forum), the aftermarket ones are about an inch too short, so when they fully extend the inner joint pops our from being over extended. Apparently the parts stores (autozone, pep boys, etc) have the wrong part numbers in their system, so what they have identified as a cavalier axle isnt relly the right axle.

When my cv went, I ended up getting a used half shaft from a friends donor car. If you have the right tools, you could maybe try a rebuild kit for the joint.

Sunday, October 31, 2010 1:08 PM
wow, that's a big difference. that could have been the issue with the new one. but i wonder what happened to the OG and the used junk yard one. i coulda got the wrong on from the jy. i pulled one from a 96 GT, they looked the same. we were hearing a light, quiet thump the last time. i haven't investigated since the last one yet, but it looks like the clamp comes off and without the clamp to hold it on it just pulls apart. i gotta go back to the jy to get another one and return this one. i'll get one from a 3spd this time

any other theories in the mean time is greatly appreciated
Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:58 PM
ok, got a couple off of some 3spds and a lower mount just in case. hope this takes care of this
Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:21 PM
well, the lower mount was bad, but bad for a reason..... there's a bolt missing off the driver side engine mount, the one in the rear. dang it! well, go back and grab the bolt, or just the whole mount depending on dificulty (doesn't look to tough).
the car i got an axle of of and the lower mount looked pretty nice overall but was hit in the side. we even took the rotors (that had rust just from sitting a few days) and the ceramic pad that were almost new. the under side han NO wet spots and didn't have much rust either. damn well taken care of for a 15 year old car with 150k
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search