Help with Rebuilding MJ1 Trans - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help with Rebuilding MJ1 Trans
Sunday, January 02, 2011 9:21 PM
I'm currently working on rebuilding my manual transmission out of my 97 cav 2.4L. I've searched the forums for information and pictures and cant seem to come up with anything but where to get parts from (drivetrain.com). For now what I need to know is how to remove the outside drive gear so i can finish separating the trans. In addition can someone please direct me to some where that explains dis-assembly of the trans or somewhere I can order a book that explains it all?

www.rdracing.110mb.com

Re: Help with Rebuilding MJ1 Trans
Monday, January 03, 2011 5:42 AM
You can buy rebuild manuals on ebay. But it is a royal pain to get apart if you've never done it before, and still a pain after you've done it a few times.

I'll post up a bunch of pics and give you a better answer when I get out of class.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, January 03, 2011 10:04 AM
Alright, I'll let the pics do most of the talking...

Open case, remove both nuts with an impact after bending the flats out

Press this pin out, and remove fork

Remove shifter assembly

Remove 5th gears and synchros

Remove plate

Pull bearing race off, you really need a couple pry bars to do this

Remove snap ring

Unscrew reverse sensor and pull these three plugs/springs/ball bearings out, a magnet helps to get the bearings out.

One more plug with a bearing in it

Now it should lift off

Remove this pin and cotter key, then the reverse arm

Then the reverse gear

Ok this the the pain in the ass part, and its easier if I show already dis-assembled pics to explain. There are three pill shaped metal tabs that slide back and forth into notches in the shifter rods, they make it so you cant shift into two gears at once.

They are under this plate

In these passages (there is one pill on the left)

You have to get everything lined up just right so the pills dont interfere with the shift rods, and pull this whole assembly out at once.

It's a pain, and its going to suck even if you've done it before, I usually end up just randomly moving the shift rods up and down and turning them until it falls apart, haha. That's the other thing I should mention, one of the shift rods spins, and you have to make sure it is oriented correctly or it wont come apart. I can't for the life of me remember how you orient it, but half an hour of messing around and cussing usually gets it apart, lol.

Hope this helps, I've got a ton of pics of my transmission build starting here if you need to see how something goes together: http://s667.photobucket.com/albums/vv31/Transporter7220/#!cpZZ22QQtppZZ16

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Monday, January 03, 2011 5:25 PM
I sent you the official GM rebuild manual as 3 PDF's to the email in your signature.

NOTE TO ALL: I have the official GM rebuild manual for the Isuzu, and I have sent it to about 7 different people on here now. If anyone can or knows someone who can host the documents and maybe make a sticky I think that would help a lot of people.
Monday, January 03, 2011 5:28 PM
PMed you my email to send it to me.

I believe Dave can host files on here, you might try asking Cannon Fodder or one of the other mods.

Monday, January 03, 2011 6:08 PM
Thanks guys this is awesome

www.rdracing.110mb.com
Monday, January 03, 2011 6:23 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:PMed you my email to send it to me.

I believe Dave can host files on here, you might try asking Cannon Fodder or one of the other mods.

I sent you the documents.

Are you talking about Dave Z? I know of Cannon and I will let him know. If they are interested in a sticky I will also get the Getrag rebuild documents as well.
Monday, January 03, 2011 7:29 PM
Dave, as in the owner of the site.

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 4:20 PM
Public Links to the MJ1 Transmission PDF's

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13171091/MJ1%20Trans%20Assembly.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13171091/MJ1%20Trans%20Dis-Assembly.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13171091/MJ1%20Trans%20Torque%20Specs.pdf

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 4:17 PM
I am working on getting the F23 rebuild instructions scanned in. Maybe in 2 or 3 days it will be done.
Monday, February 07, 2011 11:20 AM
Wagonwes wrote:I am working on getting the F23 rebuild instructions scanned in. Maybe in 2 or 3 days it will be done.

Any word on this?

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Monday, February 07, 2011 6:06 PM
DSMskyline wrote:
Wagonwes wrote:I am working on getting the F23 rebuild instructions scanned in. Maybe in 2 or 3 days it will be done.

Any word on this?

I have all of the pages on paper, I just need to scan them in as a PDF. I will see if I can get them up tomorrow (I have been putting it off for a while)
Wednesday, February 09, 2011 4:43 PM
Wagonwes wrote:
DSMskyline wrote:

Any word on this?

I have all of the pages on paper, I just need to scan them in as a PDF. I will see if I can get them up tomorrow (I have been putting it off for a while)
that would be amazing if you could! i have one with a bad shift fork i could really use to replace the one with a divorced diff

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:18 PM
Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:31 PM
Just took apart my launched isuzu trans... lol did it my way, which is the wrong and long way... I actually punched the roll pins out of the 1/2 and 3/4 shift forks and slid the shafts out from the forks, then pulled the input and output clusters out. Now the trans is useless, bearings are screwed, and who knows what else is done from all the metal shavings going around there... So this all just for fun and education. Trying to put it back together, damn the shifter crap is tough to figure out, but I think I got it!! No manuals.. lol. Although I grabbed the manuals anyway, gonna double check my stuff
Saturday, December 01, 2012 11:29 AM
Does anyone still have the Getrag F23 PDF's?
Monday, May 13, 2013 5:44 PM
Transporter7220, Your pics and instructions were spot on. It only took me 20 min. and a little cussing to get the gear assemblies out. Do you have a good parts supply for this tranny? I found the spider gears are bad in mine, and they tell me they are discontinued.
Monday, May 13, 2013 8:00 PM
I don't have any extra, but you can pull them out of Isuzu storm trannys for pretty cheap.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:03 PM
Transporter, Ty. I read in another thread that the early Isuzu's tranny had machined gears rather than cast. Do you know what years that might be, and is that the same as the GEO storm?
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:56 PM
I believe all the Geo's had them.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:52 PM
OK TY this has been a great help. I bought this car for my daughter for $500 in an on line auction. Car is in great shape, Motor sound good, just has this tranny issue. Our 4th Sunfire 3rd GT
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search