Isuzu to Getrag swap with lots of pics!! - Page 3 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Isuzu to Getrag swap with lots of pics!!
Friday, January 14, 2011 10:27 AM
I have/had an 03 cav with an auto ecotec. Sents then ive swapped out the auto for a stick. This thread helped out alot with the new mounts
Buttttttt no one has said anything about the wireing.

Ok hear gos
I had put the manual tranns in with all the new goodies. I never got a maunal harness or computer, all I did was plug in all the plugs that I could to plug in.

I try-ed to start it without the nss, or the rv senser in and nothing wouldnt even turnover

So I mest with it some more. Then I found it on the auto tranny harness theres a big conecter plug with a bunch of wires going into it that cant be pluged into the manual tranny.

There are 2 fatter purple wires on oposite sides of the plug ,one is solid purple the other has white line on it .

Putt them togather and walaaaaa

My speed and everthing else works to , exept the revers lights and nss

Sunday, February 20, 2011 1:33 PM
If I'm correct the purple wires you spliced together should be the safety switch wires for the clutch pedal. When hooked to the switch on the clutch pedal it wont let the car start till the pedal is depressed.
Monday, February 21, 2011 8:29 AM
Has anyone used a Camaro Pressure Plate and Clutch with the 1" -14 spline insert on the Getrag swap ? Or have any suggestions ?

I ran the Spec Stage III Clutch Assembly for the Isuzu MK7 behind the SC3800, but I want a bigger clutch setup when I get the Getrag in.
Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:31 AM
ok so when you bought your front and rear mounts do they have to be from a 2000 cav or are all the tranny mounts the same. also someone said you have to use the 2000 cav master cylider. does this have to be remounted
Saturday, March 19, 2011 10:49 AM
The mount that is welded to the body doesn't really matter if its 95-99 or 00+. The actual mount that bolts to the transmission do matter and requires you to use the getrag mounts with the getrag transmission.

The ureathane inserts from ttr or prothane can be used on either transmission. I don't believe you can reuse them unless you can press them out with out damaging the lips.

The master cylinder does have to switched to the 00+ style. A couple places I checked like autozone/ advanced and oreillys didn't have a listing for a master cylinder for the 00, had to do 01.

The master cylinder is easy to change, just 2 nuts on the firewall side and a snap on ball socket on the clutch pedal.

If going from an auto you will have to drill the hole as previously noted in the thread.

Hope this helps.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:36 PM
soo..my local chev dealer doesnt have a clue on the mount..and when he said hes found it...wanted to charge me 100$ and im quite sure the part#is diff...also do u have the number frm turbo tech that i need?i looked on their website and again cldnt find wht i am looking for...unless i am completly blind...also with the wiring..im swapping motor aand trans outa 01 into 99.....i have the complete 01...do i swap the whole harness frm 01?sry....and thank you ahead of time...dsm and mike u guys have really givin alot of info so...thanks again
Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:49 PM
I have the box for the rear mount that came from the dealer. I'll grab the gm part number for you.

Edit: turns out I had a picture of the box on my phone.

Hope that helps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:54 PM

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:30 PM
thanks dsm,im gettin the whole car...so...clutch,flywheel etc.....the one side is hit tho...(passenger)..not sure if axl is beat on that side or not.vss?sry to keep askin dumb questions...ill owe u a case(or 3)by the end of this!rite now jst pissed cuz i cnt pull he car out to get it home til the dudeslawn drys up.grrrr...thanks again for the part# and lit.....you r helping alot man
Thursday, June 02, 2011 9:32 AM
I need the dimension for the front mount. I know the rear is 8" off the firewall, what is the front TTR mount supposed to be?

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Thursday, June 02, 2011 12:04 PM
So I have an 04 cavalier and I need to switch my transmission out to another manual one. I am having a hard time finding one relatively low miles and good price. What other transmissions will work with the 03+???

Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:36 AM
and eco j body or n body trans will worl for you how do peopel have a hard time finding cavalier parts do u check 2 wreckers and quit

i have like 10 wreckers near me and i never have a problem finding anything for a j body

JBO since July 30, 2001

Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:41 AM
OK so..
I did the getrag f23 to 99` 2.4l swap, wasnt that hard but about 5 days later my slave cyl. blew
clutch pedal sank to floor, bairly got it home, bled clutch and saw clutch fluid pouring out bell housing
anyone have issues clearance wise(99` flywheel + clutch with 2000 slave cyl + bellhousing)

so im buying a clutch kit with a slave for a 2000 that will work with 99 flywheel right
Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:44 AM
You need to use the correct flywheel with the correct clutch.

96-99 isuzu flywheel will NOT work with an 00+ Getrag.

The isuzu flywheel has a raised shoulder where the getrag is flat.

Here is an example:

Getrag on the left, isuzu on the right.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 1:46 PM
So has any one else had problems leaving the stock clutch, pp, flywheel, clutch master from the 99 and slapping it on with getrag and its stock slave cyl????...or was my slave just bad?
Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:23 PM
I take it you did not rear my post? You can not use the Isuzu flywheel with the getrag. They are too thick and puts too much pressure on the slave cylinder causing it to blow out.

There is not way around it. Man up and spend the money on the proper flywheel.

The 96-99 master is also different than the 00+. You can not mix the parts, you have to use of the parts for the corresponding transmission.

The part numbers for the 96-99 clutch are different than the 00+ as well.

This is not a swap that can be half asked as you did. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:45 PM
what are ya guys doin with the cooler lines that bolted to the front of the 4spd? Alex Richards sir, I know you did it!
Thursday, July 28, 2011 9:57 AM
You can just cut the line at the radiator and crimp them closed. If you can drain all the fluid out, you can leave the fittings out all together.

Sunday, November 06, 2011 10:48 AM
I'm assuming I can leave the original front mount in my '96 Sunfire and use the F23 tranny to tell me where to weld in the rear mount. Right ???
Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:01 AM
No...read the steps how i did it...cant be much more clear then how I wrote it.
Monday, December 19, 2011 12:00 PM
I went thru this entire post but all i want is a yes or no about whether a 96-99 Z24 5spd will directly swap with a 2000 Z24 Getrag trans. I see that it says but the beginning of the post says otherwise. All i really wanna know is do the trans mounting brackets and mount work from a Isuzu to a Getrag on a 99 body with a 00 trans. Plz reply ASAP i dont have my rental car much longer and i cant find a working Isuzu trans (which i'd prefer not to have) for cheap. All i know is that u have to change our the flywheel.
Monday, December 19, 2011 2:56 PM
Every question you asked was addressed in the post.

Nothing from the Isuzu will work with the getrag.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:18 PM
Philly D - Back to using the original front mount question. Is it in the same place on both the '96 and the 2000+ ?

You wrote: Then on to the front mount. This is what you should have. Some people have used the stock Isuzu mount. I opted to use the TTR replacement. I also got rid of my battery tray.
Sunday, January 22, 2012 5:08 PM
It is not in the same position. Its been a while but its about an inch towards the firewall.

Some people have drilled a new hole in the existing mount and others have elongated the hole. I didnt like that idea personally so I bought a new mount from TTR and welded it in the correct position.
Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:33 PM
As far as the flywheel goes, you have to get the 02 cavalier flywheel and master cylinder? Thanks good write up and nice pics.

3400 SWAP DONE. 187WHP 212TQ (14.2 @100MPH NA) 240WHP 310TQ (N2O)

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 5:53 AM
Philly D - Thanks for this GREAT write-up. And Thanks for answering my questions. I had the Isuzu MK7 behind a 3800SC in my Sunfire and it finally blew 2nd gear. That's why I'm swapping and I'm trying to make sure I get this right because I can't weld worth a crap. I used the flywheel for a '99 V6-Camaro (shaved .300" off of the face) for the Isuzu. Is the distance from the back of the block to the flywheel face the same for the ISUZU and GETRAG ? Thanks !!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search