Slave or need to bleed more? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Slave or need to bleed more?
Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:39 PM
Just got done putting my car together again...

Kicked the clutch down and it went straight to the floor. So I picked it back up by hand, opened the bleeder, kicked it again and out came fluid...like it should.
Closed the bleeder, pushed the pedal down again, same thing.

Anyone know how to bleed it properly, I went by the haynes manual, and just didnt make any headway.
Please don't tell me this is the slave cylinder, i just replaced it brand new. Any tips?

Re: Slave or need to bleed more?
Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:39 PM
By the way, haven't started the car yet, or had any power to it yet if that matters....

Saturday, March 26, 2011 2:04 PM
check the clutch line going into the trans and make sure its all the way in and seated, otherwise just bleed, bleed, bleed.

pump the clutch a few times, then hold it to the floor, open bleeder, then close it, THEN pump the clutch back up again a few times, hold it to the floor, bleed it, close it, and repeat. sounds like to me you are bleeding it with the pedal up, you need to pump it, bleed it while its down and pump it back up.

Saturday, March 26, 2011 2:52 PM
Well I think I know what the problem MIGHT be. The o-ring that goes on the slave line into the slave snapped, so i used a gasket maker on it. I'm going to go find one tonight at the parts store if I can.

I'll update again tomorrow when I get to the car. Really praying it's just a small mistake!

Saturday, March 26, 2011 9:09 PM
Quick question...
Does the rubber o-ring sit in a grove on the slave cylinder line, or does it just slip around it then press in?

Monday, March 28, 2011 7:18 AM
Ok sorry to keep posting, but I solved the problem. I found an o-ring to fit properly. Bled the clutch as much as I could. I just wasn't use to how much softer the cavalier clutches feel compared to a cobalt. So it's up a running great now

Monday, April 04, 2011 11:52 AM
having a similar problem with my cav..how do you get the line to disconect from the slave cylinder line? pedal had been going to the floor just like yours..put a new master cylinder and it was fine..but started to slowly lose pressure, have to bleed every other day to keep the pedal firm now..anyway i think i mightve screwed up putting the o ring in on the master cylinder side, but ive also noticed there sometihng crack on the connsctor on the slave cylinder side,
thanks
Monday, April 04, 2011 4:30 PM
One thing I learned when bleeding a clutch system, is make sure every component and end is sealed and seated properly or you will just have air enter back into the system.

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:36 AM
you need to pump the pedal like 4 times, then hold to floor and open the bleeder.....i read the first post, you did not pump

Friday, April 15, 2011 1:42 PM
Anyone know the proper sized o-ring that goes on the slave line? I put one on about a month ago, but now it's leaking a bit, I used a generic one from autozone

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 3:14 PM
Having the same problem...did you find the right oring yet? gm doesnt list them

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:19 PM
Well this was over a year ago, I just went to the parts store, grabbed a handful of random fuel proof o-rings and found one that fit and worked.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:58 PM
Neat...I got an original so im just gonna compare. Im assuming its a hydraulic type oring...?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search