clutch issue - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
clutch issue
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 7:29 PM
98 2.2 5 speed isuzu

Some history on the car:
this car is new to me, it has a clutch pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel with 5 k on all 3 components, which were replaced by the previous owner. I bought the car with a failed slave cylinder.
I replaced the slave and master cylinder, bled the system free of air and tried to go for a test run. the clutch was able to disengage an inch off the floor on the first try. I released the clutch stopped the car and depressed the clutch again and now the clutch felt like there was nothing there and all I could do is grind the gears. I shut the car off, pumped the clutch pedal 5 times and wound up with clutch pressure. i started the car again and had the same result with enough clutch to get going in first but not able to get it into another gear. This is is exactly what happens each time i try to use the clutch.

What would cause the pedal/slave throw out bearing to feel soft or nonexistant after the vehicle is running? Any ideas?

I have tried bleeding the clutch again and there is no air bubbles. I have also tried reverse bleeding the clutch and got no air bubbles. I am not losing any fluid anywhere so this feels really strange to me. Anyone have any ideas? I have the car on jackstands now and am about to rip the trans out again!

Re: clutch issue
Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:42 AM
its possible with the grinding that the new clutch was put in wrong there is a flywheel side if the clutch so if you cant figure it out or get other ideas from others on the problem pull the trans and see if its rite
Friday, June 03, 2011 7:44 PM
you may have the problem that i had. there is a quick connect where the master cylinder meets the slave cylinder on the outside of the transmission case. there is an oring on there. the oring could be torn or you may not have the quick connect completely connected. i drove my car for a few days and eventually i had no clutch pedal. and i eventually found that the quick connect wasnt completely connected.

Turbo lag is a courteous head start
Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:10 AM
my clutch was the same way when i got my cav and about a month later it went out so if you pull the trans check the thickness of your clutch disk and check for broken teeth on the pressure plate
Thursday, June 09, 2011 7:04 PM
well got it figured out! Itook the trans apart and hit the clutch pedal while everything was connected lightly. Just enough to extend the slave, put everything back togehter and it all now works like a charm! Well except the speedometer doesnt work now. Ive changed the VSS sensor everything seems conected, still does not work, next up is the connector.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search