Clutch replacement - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clutch replacement
Saturday, May 14, 2011 9:44 AM
I have a 2000 cavalier, i wanted to know how to change a clutch in it, its a 2000 with a 2.2 5spd.

Thanks Paul

Re: Clutch replacement
Saturday, May 14, 2011 1:10 PM
The actual instructions from GM are as follows:

Removal Procedure
1. Remove the transmission. Refer to Transmission Replacement in Manual Transmission - M86/M94 Getrag.
2. Remove the clutch cover bolts one turn at a time, until spring pressure is relieved.
3. Remove the clutch cover and the clutch disc.

Installation Procedure
1. Align the Heavy Side of the flywheel assembly (stamped with an X), with the clutch cover Light Side (marked with paint).
2. Install the J 29074-A in order to support the clutch cover to the flywheel assembly.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the clutch cover to flywheel bolts.

Tighten
1. Follow the tightening sequence. Tighten the bolts to 24 N·m (18 lb ft).
2. Tighten the bolts to specifications. Refer to Fastener Tightening Specifications.
3. Remove the J 29074-A .
4. Lubricate the inside diameter of the bearing with GM P/N 12345777, or equivalent.
5. Install the transmission. Refer to Transmission Replacement in Manual Transmission - M86/M94 Getrag.
6. Bleed the hydraulic system. Refer to Hydraulic Clutch Bleeding .
7. Connect the negative battery cable.

As far as getting the transmission in and out... There's 34 steps to getting it out... and I'm not going to type them all out, sorry!

Saturday, May 14, 2011 6:16 PM
Thats alright, what manual did you use?
Saturday, May 14, 2011 6:30 PM
Lenko IS the manual.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, May 14, 2011 8:33 PM
The GM service manual... available through Helm Inc.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:57 AM
I found an online version. Saves my typing time And since this information doesn't seem to be online here at JBO... I figured I'd clean it up a bit and copy it into this thread. There are many references to other procedures, which I haven't included. Most of them should be pretty self-explanatory though. I didn't include the pictures either.

Transmission Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative and positive battery cable ends from the battery. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
2. Remove the retaining bolt and the battery.
3. Remove the washer solvent container. Refer to Windshield Washer Solvent Container Replacement .
4. Install the engine support fixture. Refer to the instruction manual provided with the tool.
5. Raise the engine enough to take pressure off of the transaxle mounts.
6. Remove the air cleaner and duct assembly from the throttle body. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls-2.4L.
7. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling in Engine Cooling.
8. Remove the upper radiator hose. Refer to Radiator Hose Replacement in Engine Cooling.
9. Remove the wire harness from the upper transaxle mount bracket.
10. Remove the upper transaxle mount bolts.
11. Remove the negative battery cable from the transaxle housing.
12. Remove the starter. Refer to Starter Motor Replacement in Engine Electrical.
13. Disconnect the pressure line from the clutch actuator cylinder.
14. Disconnect the backup light switch connector.
15. Remove the rear transaxle mount bolts.
16. Disconnect the vehicle speed sensor (VSS).
17. Remove the upper transaxle mounting bolts.
18. Disconnect the shift cables at the transmission shift control and the bracket.
19. Remove the cable bracket bolt and the bracket.
20. Remove the rack and pinion mounting bolts.
21. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
22. Remove the tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tire and Wheels.
23. Remove the front fender liners. Refer to Front Fender Liner Replacement in Body Front End.
24. Remove the front suspension crossmember. Refer to Front Suspension Crossmember Replacement in Front Suspension. Leave the steering rack in the vehicle.
25. Remove the flywheel support arm bracket from the flywheel cover to engine lower mount.
26. Remove the flywheel housing cover bolts.
27. Remove the flywheel housing cover.
28. Remove the drive axles from the transmission. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement in Driveline/Axle. Secure the drive axles out of the way.
29. Remove the engine strut from the bracket.
30. Remove the front lower transaxle mount through-bolt.
31. Attach the transaxle case to the support stand.
32. Support the engine with a suitable axle jack.
33. Remove the transaxle-to-engine mount bolts.
34. Use the following procedure in order to remove the transmission:
34.1. Slide the transaxle away from the engine.
34.2. Carefully lower the trans axle jack.
34.3. Remove the transaxle.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the transaxle to the engine block.
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the transaxle-to-engine lower mounting bolts. Tighten the transaxle-to-engine lower mounting bolts to 75 N·m (55 lb ft).
3. Remove the following components
• The safety strap
• The transaxle jack
4. Install the front transaxle mount-through bolt. Tighten the front transaxle mount-through bolt to 60 N·m (44 lb ft).
5. Install the flywheel inspection cover.
6. Install the washer solvent container. Refer to Windshield Washer Solvent Container Replacement in Wipers/Washer System.
7. Remove the jackstand supporting the engine.
8. Install the front fender liners. Refer to Front Fender Liner Replacement in Body Front End.
9. Install the drive axles. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement in Driveline/Axle.
10. Install the front suspension crossmember. Refer to Front Suspension Crossmember Replacement in Wipers/Washer System.
11. Install the engine strut-to-strut bracket.
12. Install the rack and pinion mounting bolts. Tighten the rack and pinion mounting bolts to 120 N·m (89 lb ft).
13. Install the tire and wheel assemblies. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
14. Install the starter. Refer to Starter Motor Replacement in Engine Electrical.
15. Lower the vehicle.
16. Install the upper transaxle mounting bolts. Tighten the upper transaxle mounting bolts to 96 N·m (71 lb ft).
17. Connect the clutch master cylinder line.
18. Connect the vehicle speed sensor.
19. Connect the backup light switch.
20. Remove the engine support fixture. Refer to Engine Support Fixture in Engine Mechanical-2.4L.
21. Install the negative battery cable to the engine block.
22. Install the upper radiator hose. Refer to Radiator Hose Replacement in Engine Cooling.
23. Install the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls-2.4L.
24. Refill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling in Engine Cooling.
25. Fill the transaxle with Dexron III Transaxle Fluid GM P/N 12346143 or equivalent.
26. Bleed the clutch hydraulic system. Refer to Hydraulic Clutch Bleeding in Clutch.
27. Install the battery.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 7:29 AM
THank you so much this is like perfect haha, this is going to be a fun job NOT haha, thanks again!
Friday, February 24, 2012 3:47 PM
I'm having issues figuring out what fluid the GM 12345777 is. Any ideas? Not only is my slave leaking, but it's noisy, and I know I'll need to lube the new one.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search