Saturn Manual Transmission Fluid - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Saturn Manual Transmission Fluid
Thursday, June 09, 2011 8:39 PM
Besides the famous rattling issues with my Getrag F23 5-Speed Transmission, I don't quite like the shifting with the DEXRON III in it. I had it changed about a year ago, and the shifting is quite notchy no matter the temperature. The liquid is also really thin, which concerns me because (although I'm probably wrong) it doesn't seem like it would provide much protection when something like... Oh idk grinding a gear for a quick second happens (pretty rare, only really happens when I accidentally shift before fully engaging the clutch). After reading some reviews and opinions on other websites, I decided to look for and successfully found Saturn MTL on ebay for around $8 a quart. I figured it couldn't hurt to try. It IS what GM recommended but that't not why I bought it because it simply was recommended probably just so we bought a GM product. People seemed impressed with the fluid saying that it helped the rattling a little (i'm not overfilling my transmission that's ridiculous..) and that "the Getrags REALLY respond to it". Like I said, I figured it'd be better than the out-dated ATF I have in there now.

The thing that has me concerned now is after using the search option on the top of the Jbody page, many users here haven't liked the fluid... This has me worried that I may have just wasted $25.. Just looking for some feedback on this fluid. I'm willing to try it, it's extremely hot out this time of year in New York (think it hit 98 today). So for right now the cold weather isn't something I'm going to worry about. Has anyone used this fluid? Opinions? Feedback?

Thanks in advance guys,
Alcolawl

Re: Saturn Manual Transmission Fluid
Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:16 AM
I have liked B&M trickshift synthetic..i filled mine up to 2.6 q to help with the rattle
Sunday, June 12, 2011 7:16 PM
GM Synchromesh fluid is what I use. U can get it made by Pennzoil for like $8 a quart. Advance Auto carries it

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:00 PM
Roofy wrote:GM Synchromesh fluid is what I use. U can get it made by Pennzoil for like $8 a quart. Advance Auto carries it

I decided to buy both, but I tried the Saturn first as it's the fluid I can't return. I'm pleased to say that the rattle has gone most of the time and shifting has gotten noticeably smoother. But I'm still curious as to how the Synchromesh feels.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search