flywheel help! - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
flywheel help!
Monday, June 13, 2011 5:16 PM
hey every one just wondering i wantto upgrade my flywheel and clutch i have a 04 ls with the gmpp sc kit and wondering what my best choice would be for a light weight flywheel and clutch also wondering what the weight of a stock flywheel is and what the aftermarket ones are
thank you very much for all the help

Re: flywheel help!
Monday, June 13, 2011 5:49 PM
stock flywheel.
are you racing it, or is it a daily driver

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:13 AM
i do both with it i just want it to work a little better
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:10 AM
I have a spec aluminum flywheel and it weights roughly 10lbs according to the mailing scales at work.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:44 PM
have you had any problems with the spec flywheel and how did the peformance change/ was it worth it?
Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:08 AM
I've run both on the gm reflash and the aluminum one is fine for DD, it takes all of an hour or so to get used to it in stop and go traffic. It helps the motor rev faster and the car pulls harder. I also have run both on the fake 2.5 bar tune.... I currently have a spec stage 2 pressure plate, with an LD9 isuzu act 6 puck clutch disc and a Spec flywheel. So far this setup is holding up well. I also had a spec stage2 in the car for about 2 years and after 10-15k of supercharged miles (majority gm reflash) it started slipping bad.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:11 AM
The flywheel isnt on the car yet, it will be once the motor is built. Ill be running it with the spec stage 3 6 puck clutch.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:10 AM
Right now I have an aluminum flywheel in my car and im not a fan of it yet... Once i drive it a lot more im sure ill get used to it, but if not, its coming out this winter and stocker is going back in... im so far not a fan of how fast revs drop in between shifts. maybe its a manual thing. But ill see what happens down the road.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 12:27 PM
so from the feedback i am getting from this spec is the way to go for a light weight flywheel
Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:42 PM
brandon mackay wrote:so from the feedback i am getting from this spec is the way to go for a light weight flywheel

thats true if you want to shear the center out of it!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 7:19 PM
-Z Yaaaa- Online
^^^ the spec's are redesigned with a much beefier center. they are no longer those pos "fidanza's".

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:09 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:^^^ the spec's are redesigned with a much beefier center. they are no longer those pos "fidanza's".

i thought fidanza made both?

another option would be the clutchmasters aluminum flywheel.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:22 PM
-Z Yaaaa- Online
unsure on if fidanza still has a deal with spec or not... (i think so) all i know is fidanza has at least tried to fix the issue for the LD9/quad setups.... not sure on eco's.

Measurements show that the thinnest part at the hub is:
old: 0.290"
new: 0.350"

Here are pictures comparing the old and new design:

Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:18 AM
Seems like the whole tearing the hub out of the flywheel is rare....yeah it's happend but I've had nothing but good luck with them. My 2001 cav had a Fidanza aluminum flywheel on it for 40+k miles and it's still going stong in the car with it's current owner, and my eco has had one shortly after I purchased it off darkstars at 30k...I've got roughtly 30-35k on the spec flywheel. I'd say it's up to the owner. On my supercharged Eco I really like it, but once I got turbo I'm leaning on the heavier flywheel to keep the revs up between shifts.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search