99 z24 Izuzu 5 speed sloppy shifting - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
99 z24 Izuzu 5 speed sloppy shifting
Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:02 PM
So my 5 speed hasn't been shifting well since I bought it, every gear is fine excpet for second and sometime reverse. The issue is it wont pull straight down from first into second without grinding a little, but if I pull out of first and let the shifter center itself then pull down and left from the middle it will slide in fine. Reverse is tricky sometimes, It just wont go into gear sometimes, then if I let off and pull back down it will go right in... The shifter feels sloppy in neutral but I don't know for sure how bad, never touched the shifter of any other J.. It has B&M short shifter, installed by one of the previous owner. Any Ideas? Shift cable issue? Worn bushings? I haven't ever dealt with shift cable setups only direct linkage and direct into the trans setups so I'm at a loss here...

Re: 99 z24 Izuzu 5 speed sloppy shifting
Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:25 PM
Reverse isn't syncronized, try going 1st gear then to reverse....goes in almost every time for me that way

Our cars are known for stretching shift cables, that may be the problem.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:09 AM
Pop your hood, and look at the linkage on the top of the tranny. You will see where the cables connect that there is a linear-action arm that is controled by a lever. The end of the lever has a small rod which rides inside a groove on the arm. If you inspect it, it is likely that the groove is distorted from wear. This arm can be replaced, but it's about $100 for a new one, and you have to disassemble the entire shifting mechanism (which comes off the tranny with 4 bolts).

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:33 AM
Alright I have some ideas now.. I knew reverse wasn't synhed but I didn't think it should be that difficult to get into gear... it hasn't been that bad lately I guess... I'll look at the transmission later. I have looked at it before, but like I said I don't mess with shifty cables much so I have no clue what to look for. I feel like something is just not lining up right when its supposed to. Also suspecting my B&M shifter to be part of the problem.. alot of play in the shifter when in any gear. I think thats why I can get it to pull into second smoothly if I pull it from center over and down instead of straight down... Ugh... love the 5 speed but hate all the issues!

On another note, noticing an oil leak from trans.. thinking cv shaft seals.. common problem? easy fix?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search