4T45E, can be used in a j, correct???? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
4T45E, can be used in a j, correct????
Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:57 PM
Hey guys, I'm posting this because no one can really give me a straight answer, and me search has yeailded much of the same. My verts engine is going out, so I'm gonna cross to the world of Ecotec but I can only find a Malibu 04-05 and I know I gotta change over some stuff and still get a harness and pcm and such so I'm not worried about that. My huge concern is the trans. The one in the car is a 4T45E and I know we have 4T40E's. Now my only one huge questions is this, can I use that trans, run it wil a J PCM and be ok?? Like no problems, no check engine lights and so on??? That's all I want to know. I have been told there the same trans but the 45E is just beefier and such. I tried searching and never came up with a straight answer. And since I'm going from a LD9 to a Ecotec using my trans is out of the question. Thanks again guys!!

Re: 4T45E, can be used in a j, correct????
Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:54 PM
I did some research today on the Malibu 4t45e, Mike. Looks like the big differences are

1) Manual Lever Position Switch (5 position vs 7 postion)
2) 20-pin Internal Wire harness (13-pin vs 14-pin)
3) Reluctor teeth (33 vs 32)

For reference....http://www.amtrans.nl/4T40E-_4T45E.pdf

The big ones are #1 and #2. #1 because it probably means a different lever position pattern (absolutely must be verified) and #2 because none of the 14 signals in the 20-pin connector on the 4t40e are duplicates. However, #2 might not be that big of a deal because one of the 14 signals on the 4t40e is just +12V power, for which the 4t45e probably gets that somewhere else. #3 will be more of a nusance than anything else, and the pulses per mile can always be corrected with HPTuners. The solenoids are identical between these transmissions and the only question there is if the shift solenoid logic is also identical (almost certainly is).

So, with a little rewiring, it MIGHT actually be a perfectly doable swap.

I have no signiture
Friday, June 24, 2011 3:26 PM
Ok just looking at thelink you posted looks like there pretty much exactly the same trans's just a few diffrences here and there. Ok. Well ill be picking up the car this weekend so hopefully it all works.

Monday, June 27, 2011 4:29 AM
You can use most/some of the internal parts from a 4T45E in a 4T40E.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search