Perfection Clutches? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Perfection Clutches?
Monday, July 04, 2011 5:02 PM
So i have a 2000 cavalier, with a stock 2.2, got a new clutch kit from napa, its a perfection brand. Picked it up at the garage and in 5 miles sitting at a light the slave cylinder went then dragged me threw a intersection with on coming traffic! Was wondering if anyone has used this brand and had any issues?

Thanks Paul

Re: Perfection Clutches?
Monday, July 04, 2011 5:10 PM
The shop should fix it, but you can't be out trying to burn the tires off with a new clutch either.

Take it back to the shop, tell them, and see what they say.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, July 04, 2011 5:25 PM
Its my grandfathers shop, my uncles run it. They said the slave cylinder went but not sure where yet. They are going to take it back apart this Wednesday. Napa is giving me a new clutch kit for the warranty purpose,and paying for the labor, but i want to make sure am not replacing it with parts that usually go bad.
Monday, July 04, 2011 7:38 PM
i've had a perfection in for the last 30,000 miles, holds better than stock and no issues with the slave. but that's with an isuzu, you have a getrag,

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, July 04, 2011 7:51 PM
Hmm, hoping its just a defective part and i have bad luck if not i may go Ac-delco or to a aftermarket performance one
Monday, July 04, 2011 8:22 PM
Have them check the master, its obvious they did not do a thorough enough job servicing the system.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Monday, July 04, 2011 9:22 PM
Just out of curiosity. How does a slave cylinder go bad and drag you through an intersection with traffic coming across it? Sounds like you need driver mod.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, July 05, 2011 11:36 AM
Sitting at the light in gear with your foot on the clutch

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:12 PM
Well lets see how dumb people can be on here, all parts for clutch system were replaced, that's the start. Sitting at a light in first gear, with foot on the clutch, the slave cylinder goes and releases fluid/bursts releases the pressure plate and engages clutch, that means the car is going to move when i didn't expect it. That's how, no driver mod needed just hoping it was a bad part and not going to be part after part, the parts are all from Napa, new clutch kit, flywheel, and clutch master cylinder new fluid. Any questions?
Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:25 PM
Paul Dysinger wrote: Sitting at a light in first gear, with foot on the clutch, the slave cylinder goes and releases fluid/bursts releases the pressure plate and engages clutch, that means the car is going to move when i didn't expect it. That's how, no driver mod needed
actually, when at a light, you're supposed to be in neutral with the foot OFF the clutch to save wear on the slave.... just sayin.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 6:41 PM
I wasn't referring to you as dumb by the way, the light was just about to turn, so i just put it back in for maybe 15 sec then it sounded like a tire popping, got it the 1/4 mile back to my grandfathers garage, then you could feel if you hit the pedal fast and release it was sluggish put if you hold it, you can feel it just squirt out fluid and drop any pressure, but still a slave should be able to hold that pressure plate easy, idk just wondering if anyone else had this issue, before it gets fixed with replacement parts from the same brand, new clutch kit, encase the pressure plate my be tweaked of bound up a bit, just need my car back.

Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:51 PM
Paul Dysinger wrote:Well lets see how dumb people can be on here, all parts for clutch system were replaced, that's the start. Sitting at a light in first gear, with foot on the clutch, the slave cylinder goes and releases fluid/bursts releases the pressure plate and engages clutch, that means the car is going to move when i didn't expect it. That's how, no driver mod needed just hoping it was a bad part and not going to be part after part, the parts are all from Napa, new clutch kit, flywheel, and clutch master cylinder new fluid. Any questions?

How is there no driver mod needed? You know full well that you can pull the transmission out of gear without your foot on the clutch pedal. But instead chose to cause a dangerous condition and try to cause an accident? Yeah, lets see how dumb people can be on here... you start.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:17 AM
SHOoff wrote:

How is there no driver mod needed? You know full well that you can pull the transmission out of gear without your foot on the clutch pedal. But instead chose to cause a dangerous condition and try to cause an accident? Yeah, lets see how dumb people can be on here... you start.

This....

And unless the shop your taking it to are magical wizards there is almost no way they would be able to tell if its a master or slave gone bad until they took it apart.

We are trying to help you...Quit being an idiot

Wednesday, July 06, 2011 2:18 PM
Got it done in 3 hours today, slave was bad seal burst out in the back, is vacuum bleeding of with these napa tried to say that it would ruin the slave.
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 5:58 PM
Works fine now it seems only been for a 25 mile ride, and now try to get Napa to pay labor. Thank you for the advice on here sorry to be rude to you guys just a lot of stress lately with work and the car.
Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:57 PM
paul I wanted to tell you that you shouldn't have apologized and you did because your probably a nice guy the other guy made the first ass hole comment and you retaliated sounds fair to me. sorry had to chime im everytime Im on here someone has to be rude and cocky people who are just askimg questions shouldnt be treated and I applaud you paul for not taking peoples crap. im sure ill here a bunch of bs about this but its annoying how a few rude people ruin the forum for everyone else. im glad to hear you figured your car out. sad to get defective parts they don't make stuff like they used to.
Thursday, July 07, 2011 1:44 PM
Good luck trying to get them to cover labor. There are almost no companies out there that will cover labor on a part.

If you find one, let me know as I will buy their parts in case they go bad.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Thursday, July 07, 2011 4:17 PM
DSMskyline wrote:Good luck trying to get them to cover labor. There are almost no companies out there that will cover labor on a part.

If you find one, let me know as I will buy their parts in case they go bad.

It is done more often then you think, although almost never for walk in customers... For shops yes, because there is billed labor... for walk in's hell no... that would be a nightmare.

Saturday, July 09, 2011 6:33 AM
whats with all the new clutch installs with bad slaves i find this wierd that so many slaves are fawked from the get go i think its bleeding problems

it just seems wierd i think its the 4th post about slaves being bad doesn't matter the brand

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, July 10, 2011 4:12 AM
dakota sutherland, i am with you 100% your right! And Napa should pay, going today to try and see what the deal is.
Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:37 AM
was your flywheel machined smooth before the new clust went in if so maybe they took too much off and now you need a spacer

JBO since July 30, 2001

Monday, July 11, 2011 11:09 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:was your flywheel machined smooth before the new clust went in if so maybe they took too much off and now you need a spacer

Unless that flywheel was so bad they had to go past minimum thickness I doubt that is his issue...GM would design it so that they can go up to minimum flywheel thickness without overextending the slave. Good thought though.. OP?

Sunday, July 31, 2011 8:51 AM
are we talkin about the same GM.

i had a 95 with a stock clutch and flywheel and i know this cause my father in law has owned it from day 1 and when i bought the car it had a shim behind the flywheel.

also if they have this minimum thickness then intheroy we shouldn't be able to take a 1.14" thick camaro flywheel down to .84.

they do have a thickness the flywheel has to be if too much gets machined off it needs a spacer

my camaro one is machined to .835 and i have no spacer and have no issues but i have seen some clutches tha thave groved the crap out of the flywheel that needs to go down

i would be removing the clutch and measure the amount lay the flywheel on a work bench so that the crank side is on a flat tablethen measue to the clutch surface and get a shim to make up the difference

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, April 06, 2012 2:31 PM
I bought a new clutch kit from napa after my stock slave leaked at about 180,000 km. The new napa clutch lasted about 2 months. The clutch started to squeal like dry door hinge when it engaged. Turns out it was the springs that came loose, almost falling out. So again I went and got another kit on warranty from napa, and I bought a brand new flywheel for $hits and giggles. Installed it. it lasted about 3-4 months, the slave leaked. Back to napa. got a new kit on warranty, AGAIN. Argued with them about me having to pay labour each time one of their garbage kits fuc%ked up. Put the new kit in. I put on about 30,000 km, took it out last week from winter storage, and just today, yet again, ANOTHER problem. Started to shift rough, and began to whine and make a metal on metal sound when I push my clutch all the way to the floor. The clutch fluid was fine, but very dark. I decided to pull a master cylinder off a scrap 2200 to see if it wasnt maybe that the problem. Changed the master, and it's still the same. Now I have to double clutch every gear. Thanks napa. It cost me about 100$ each time for the garage, tools, help, syncromesh, beer, pot and lost time. Im fed up, thats it, I was gonna sell my car in parts and call it a loss and buy another car. But I'm gonna be stubborn and call up GM on tuesday and order a stock z24 clutch kit right from them. I have a garage price now so it shouldnt be much more than what I paid for the @!#$ty napa kit. Thats the last thing I ever buy from napa.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:50 PM
Had the same exact issue with the perfection clutch. Replaced it 3 times. YUP, thats right....I had to remove my tranny 3 times cause of these $hitty clutch kits. Dealt with Napa reps, they are going to refund me the full amout that I paid in the beginning. Going for a LuK clutch to replace it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search