tranny problems - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tranny problems
Monday, June 27, 2011 12:49 PM
Hi. yes I am a newb. I have searched around here for a lil while looking for things to do to the wifes 99 Sunfire coupe. well all that may be over. I think the tranny is bad, 3speed auto.
No available tyranny's at the local yards. Not 3-speeds anyway.
my question is what all is needed to convert to a 4-speed????????
I have no problem doing the work myself as I have done motor swaps and tranny swaps on neons and other chrysler's over the last 10 years, but I have not worked an many GM's.
Money is a lil tight so a new car may be out of the question, but replacing the 3-speed with a 4-speed if not too spendy, would be perfect.
Any help GREATLY appreciated!!!
I need to get this car back on the road ASAP! Thanks

Re: tranny problems
Friday, July 01, 2011 10:37 AM
Not 100% on this but im going to say PCM for it to have the parameters for the extra gear, transmission, duh, and maybe shifter and cables? Maybe someone else will chime in with more info

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Re: tranny problems
Tuesday, July 05, 2011 11:47 AM
Thanks David!
I ran a half a bottle of Seafoam Trans Tune through her, Drove her for a good 50 miles making the torque converter engage plenty of times. Seemed to get better the more I drove it. I also cleaned up the dipstick for the trans. The top half was all rusty. I am guessing the lil bits of stuff I was seeing in the fluid off the dipstick was from the rust flacking off.
I took it to work the next day and changed out the fluid and filter. No issues as of yet. Hope all is well as we need atleast 1-2 more years out of this car.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search