tranmission problems - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tranmission problems
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:49 AM
so i drive a 2003 chevy cavalier ls 4door i love my car and the transmission is starting to go on it i was wondering if anyone new of any online sites to either get a new better transmission than the stock one or if anyone knew a site that sold good used trasmissions with low miles

my next question is my car only has 122k miles on it it seems everytime i shift into 2nd or third it jerks the car or it will start wobbling or shaking i was wondering if anyone has ever used that quick slip or trick slip transmission fluid (im not sure of the exact name of the stuff) does it work?

Re: tranmission problems
Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:24 AM
Anybody??
Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:37 AM
i guess it depends on what transmission you have.
the 3-speed or the 4-speed.
My wife's 99 Sunfire is having the same issues. The trans is a 3-speed. I have been told by my local transmission shops the the 3-speed is junk. when they go bad they will not even rebuild them, just replace it with a used trans.
Not sure on the 4-speed.
I am relatively new to the J-body world, learning as I go, but I have already learned the 3-speed is junk.
Good luck!

99 SUNFIRE COUPE, 2.2L AUTO, WHITE.
BONE STOCK...............FOR NOW.
Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:51 AM
Yea I am new to this too and it is the 3 speed it's garbage I don't know where to start looking
Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:55 AM
If your car is a 2003 it is a 4 speed, not a three speed... three speeds were out in 2003 when the ECO became the only motor available.

Maybe some more information would help besides just assuming the trans is bad, typically it is control related, not the tranny's fault.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:03 PM
yea it is a 2003 2.2 eco sorry im a newb to all this tranny stuff but the reason why i think its my transmission is because i have no acceleration at least its not how it used to be its a noticeable difference when the car shifts gears the rpm goes higher and then it will like jerk the car and then shift like its getting stuck almost another thing is my gas millage is horrible if i press the gas more than 65% i can literally just watch my gas needle drop the car seems like it wants to go but it cant my personal mechanic took the transmission fluid plug out and told me to smell it and it smells burned and he said thats why he thinks its the transmission he was also suppose to service the transmission but he said not to because it may just make the whole transmission go out is this true? another problem i have is my intake constantly get oil in it and its a pretty good amount of oil that get in there i try to clean it but it just happens again im not sure if this has something to do with the problem also my check light come not sure which light it is but its on the right side of my cluster it says check i think its the check engine n ot sure tho but this light only come on every so often i tried to get does but it doesn't ever show any codes when i tried or when the guy at advanced tried
Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:05 PM
also sometimes my trac off light will come on but if i let the car be off for a while it will go away till it decides to come on agaIN
Friday, July 15, 2011 3:14 PM
Any ideas
Monday, July 18, 2011 6:38 PM
Anybody??
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search