Who has successfully disassembled their F23 Getrag? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Who has successfully disassembled their F23 Getrag?
Friday, August 19, 2011 10:06 AM
What was involved and did you locate a service manual to do so? I have the GM service manual for my (02 Grand Am) and they do not have ANY rebuild info for the 5 speed, only for the automatic. Any info is greatly appereciated.

Re: Who has successfully disassembled their F23 Getrag?
Friday, August 19, 2011 10:50 AM
I have, pretty easy to take apart (once you know what your doing). I know I have posted some pictures in this forum on this. Search for TeamGreen LSD install. Did not have a manual for it either.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 19, 2011 1:09 PM
I had seen your pictures. Did you need any special tools to open it up? I watched a GM video and it looks like there are quite a few operations required to get it apart.
Just curious what you had to do to get the case halves completely apart. Thanks!
Friday, August 19, 2011 1:17 PM
You'll need a good set of snap ring pliers an inverted torx socket and a dig allen socket (I don't remember the size but it's bigger than 10mm)
Friday, August 19, 2011 2:28 PM
SilvrSunfir wrote:You'll need a good set of snap ring pliers an inverted torx socket and a dig allen socket (I don't remember the size but it's bigger than 10mm)

You do not need the snap ring pliers to get the case apart.

You need the big allen socket. Should have the size in that post I made. Also make sure you have a gasket already for the allen bolt.

FU Tuning

Saturday, August 20, 2011 4:24 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:
SilvrSunfir wrote:You'll need a good set of snap ring pliers an inverted torx socket and a dig allen socket (I don't remember the size but it's bigger than 10mm)

You need the big allen socket. Should have the size in that post I made. Also make sure you have a gasket already for the allen bolt.

Well, dont you need the snap ring pliers to get that hex bolt out? I have successfully, but re-assembly is another story.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 4:47 PM
I got the case halves apart. It was an 8mm allen socket. I used my 3/8" zip gun to break it loose as it was loctited to the shaft.
I just picked up the Kent Moore tool set for the Getrag. The magnet had some large pieces of metal stuck to it. Definitely looks like bearing fragments.
I need to get the shafts out of it next to find the bearing.
The trans I just installed from a junk yard has the same noise so I am sure whatever is wrong with my original is also wrong with the junk yard unit.
Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:13 PM
Its cheaper to replace it than to fix it. trust me. im on trans number 4 I think.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:59 PM
It seems like its just bearings. If thats the case, I have a friend who sells bearings and can get me a good deal on the set.
I dont drive this car hard. Its a bone stock car that I use for transportation.
Saturday, August 20, 2011 6:22 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:

Well, dont you need the snap ring pliers to get that hex bolt out? I have successfully, but re-assembly is another story.

No.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search