2004 Cavalier reverse light intermittently works - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2004 Cavalier reverse light intermittently works
Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:51 PM
2004 2dr Arrival Blue 5spd Cavalier

Hi, first off, after searching, it seemed a few pre-ecotec guys had some issues, nothing too promising for my year.
My reverse lights have worked for months, and I just started noticing within a month or so, the reverse lights dont come on when i put it into reverse (5spd).
Now there are times where it'll be reversing, and then ill see it pop on all of a sudden, but then Ill test it by going back into gear or neutral, then reverse and its gone again.

I would imagine a sensor would either work or not. Is there a short or connection somewhere I can check on this? The car is pretty much fully stock wiring-wise, only thing thats upgraded in the engine bay is the intake and strut tower brace.

Thanks for the help guys!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Re: 2004 Cavalier reverse light intermittently works
Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:58 PM
Mine worked but I spliced my turn signals into them and tinted the lens red. Solid outer brake lights and wired like toyo's ftw.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:59 AM
not sure what he is talking about.

but on the trans, if you look top of the trans, right inside the driver side wheel. You can see it looking through the wheel well. Its the reverse back up switch. I think my last one was $20. They are know for going bad on them. Takes longer to go get the part than it does to actually swap it over.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:24 AM
^^Thats your problem...switch..takes 15 min to change.
Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:16 PM
X3... check your trans switch... you can verify by jumping the two wires... your reverse lights should come on, and stay on. Easy change as well... just need a deep well socket.. mine was like 13 bucks when I got it...
Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:32 PM
thanks guys, Ill check it out!
so this is the symptom even if its just 'intermittent' right? normally when a switch/fuse or something goes, its out completely. Remember, Ive got a standard...if it matters..
Ill return with the diagnosis when I get the chance to check that switch..maybe I can grab one early this week on my way home from work!

Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:43 PM
yes, happened to me twice at least.

Monday, August 15, 2011 5:46 AM
need to do this to mine, been putting it off, lazy bugger I am.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 2:14 PM
Same exact thing happened to me. Brand new bulbs and they didn't work a day later. Put back in the old bulbs, still didnt work. Got a Reverse Back Up Switch at autozone, took 20 minutes to install, worked like a charm.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 6:56 PM
well heres some pics so those who dont know where/how to remove it, have an idea.
The process really is only about a 5 min replacement, its longer gettng the part as stated, and getting to the part. I would say with parts in hand, you could do the whole job in less than 15min.

1. Get a box
2. cut a hole in that box
3. haha jk

Seriously though, heres the steps plus a few quick pix (iPhone pix, sucky quality):
1. lift the front end
2. remove the wheel
3. 7mm socket - remove the 4 screws holding on the inner splash guard (there is also a press-in screw on the bottom)
4. use your fingers (without gloves) and reach behind that plug you see (its the only one there).
a. pull up alittle on the tab (mine was facing inside, not outside), and pull the sensor wiring off (pulls right off with ease)
5. grab a wrench, and pull off the "Back-Up Light Switch" (NAPA part: ECH NS6538). I dont have the socket size cause I didnt try removing it, yet waiting to get the part.
6. put everything back together!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search