clutch wont engage after being replaced 04 cavalier please help - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
clutch wont engage after being replaced 04 cavalier please help
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:06 PM
I recently put a new clutch go to start up the car it starts but does nothing. pressure is there at the pedal its just real hard to push down.ok this was my first hydr clutch so let me give some details about what i did maybe u can see if i did something wrong.ok i replaced cause the slave went bad being an internal slave changed the clutch as i already had the tranny out.ok i didnt remove the master cylinder as the pedal was already at the ground.would this give me a promblem?also as i was replacing the clutch i used the alingment tool and everything remove it and the clutch still could move around it was not tight against the flywheel..i didnt think it was right but i asked a friend about this he said its fine cause theres no pressure on it.so i put it back together and i bleed the system the pedal was there so i started it nothing as the tranny wasnt there at all. even with the car off in gear i can push it.i have no ideal whats going on please help.

Re: clutch wont engage after being replaced 04 cavalier please help
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:29 PM
keep bleeding it. sounds like u still have some air in the line
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:04 PM
... replace the master with the slave. every time.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:01 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:... replace the master with the slave. every time.

replace what master?

Every time ive done a clutch on my car... ive swaped the clutch, pressure plate, slave, thats it.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:55 PM
Some pressure plates come with installation pins so that when your bolting the pressure plate to the flywheel your not fighting the spring pressure of the preesure plate. Once you have the disc and alignment tool lined up, you remove the pins and the pressure plate engages to the disc. I f you didnt remove those pins, the pressure plate will not engage thus the clucth will not engage......or you put the clutch disc in the wrong way. The clutch disc spline center hub can actually fit both ways but only works one way. The longer end of the clutch disc hub always faces away from the motor. If you installed it long side towards the flywheel, the long side will hit the flywheel itself not allowing for the disc to be fully engaged when the pedal is up.

Time to get it going again.....
Friday, August 26, 2011 11:06 AM
Diesell wrote:Some pressure plates come with installation pins so that when your bolting the pressure plate to the flywheel your not fighting the spring pressure of the preesure plate. Once you have the disc and alignment tool lined up, you remove the pins and the pressure plate engages to the disc. I f you didnt remove those pins, the pressure plate will not engage thus the clucth will not engage......or you put the clutch disc in the wrong way. The clutch disc spline center hub can actually fit both ways but only works one way. The longer end of the clutch disc hub always faces away from the motor. If you installed it long side towards the flywheel, the long side will hit the flywheel itself not allowing for the disc to be fully engaged when the pedal is up.

This... It's a mechanical issue with the pressure plate, nothing to do with hydraulics. The disc should NEVER move when the pressure plate is installed correctly against the flywheel and the trans goes back up.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Friday, August 26, 2011 1:28 PM
^^Thats exactly what I'm saying!!!!...........no hydraulic discussion.

Time to get it going again.....
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search