Hard to shift into second. - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hard to shift into second.
Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:22 PM
Hey guys Just wondering if it's normal for it to be hard to shift into second. By hard I mean it sort of requires me to slowly push it in and it feels like it clicks 2 times before it's in gear. Do I need to adjust the cables or is somethig wrong? 3rd and 4th are a little like this (2 clicks) but are way easier. 5th and reverse are smooth as butter.

Re: Hard to shift into second.
Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:00 PM
Is this when driving? normal no.

Coould be tips of shift forks, or could be the pin in the top of the shift linkage at the tranny.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 26, 2011 5:16 AM
So it shouldn't be making a 2 clicks when I switch gears? I bought this car used a couple months ago. I have 99,600 miles on it now. Its a 2004 LS Sport coupe with the getrag.
Friday, August 26, 2011 5:19 AM
Feels almost like it pops in the middle and when I put it in gear.
Friday, August 26, 2011 5:31 AM
It does feel like the clicking / pop is in the shifter and the shifter feels almost like its rubbing on something.... maybe I'll take off the console and make sure something isn't out of place?
Saturday, August 27, 2011 6:35 AM
It does it when not driing as well. It feels like it's rubbing on something when i put it in second. It's worse sometimes.
Saturday, August 27, 2011 12:01 PM
What do the bushings on your shifter assembly look like? is your shifter loose at all? Play in the shifter?
Sunday, August 28, 2011 5:36 AM
there is a little play. i'd say maybe a quarter of an inch if that in all directions. I took the center console off and it seems like the piece of metal that sticks out of the side of the shifter and sits in that l shaped piece of white plastic is rubbing against the black plastic case. That only happens when I push the shifter to the left (1st and 2nd). It also seems like the shifter leans slightly to the left (normal?) I'm going to try and get some grease today and lube it up a little. Maybe I should take the shifter apart and look at those bushings as well? Is there supposed to be grease on the white ball? it seems pretty dry...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search