Clutch options besides Spec - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clutch options besides Spec
Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:55 PM
What clutches are you guys running? I refuse to get another Spec clutch due to the fact I have gone thru two stage 2+ clutches in about 20k miles. The first one lasted all of two weeks (still breaking it in) the rivets on the clutch disc just pretty much fell out. I called up Spec and explained the situation and got a new one sent to me at no cost. Now 20k later same situation. I don't race the car or abuse it but i plan on boosting it over the winter. I need a clutch that is not painful to drive daily and will hold ~250hp.

Re: Clutch options besides Spec
Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:18 AM
Even my stock replacement lasted 20K miles of boost, abuse, and tons of racing....

Talk to lafngas (scott) he sells bully, I like my clutchmaster but its a ways above what you need. Scott can hook you up pretty good for sure.

Thursday, September 01, 2011 10:46 PM
I'm also looking to change out the clutch on my 2.4... Spec stage1 is starting to slip a bit, only in first gear higher rpm's... doesn't have enough pull to slip it in gears above that. Just recently started slipping, not sure how many miles on the clutch. Looking to add some power here in the near future as well.
Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:44 PM
i swapped from a spec stage 3 to a bully clutch and will NEVER go back to it. the bully clutch has a consistant engagement point, drives and feels like stock, not to mention even a spec stage 5 wouldnt hold what i put down while the bully stage 4 is taking it and seems to not even mind let alone the customer service from the bully guys is second to none

Saturday, September 03, 2011 8:39 PM
LD9 act 6 puck with the stock pressure plate of your choice. Its what I plan to run. make sure you get a sprung clutch, unsprung clutches really shouldnt be used without slicks and the REALLY REALLY shouldnt be used on daily drivers. Unless you dont like the splines on your input shaft.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, September 03, 2011 9:16 PM
To each their own I guess... I got treated like @!#$ from Bulley with my issues, I now have a stage 3+ SPEC with upgraded pressure plate for my 3800 swap and it holds every bit of it without breaking a sweat. I did like my bulley, but issue after issue I had to change it and customer service was horrible, even the president of the company ignored my emails, not nice in my books!

Saturday, September 03, 2011 9:26 PM
I say it time and time again, spec clutches are just not built well. They are engineered to be cheap to manufacture, not to be good clutches.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:49 AM
I say it time and time again...

I have a stage 3+ and have zero issues.

Granted I dont put down a ton of HP, but I have pulled many 1.8 sec 60' times with this clutch.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 6:25 AM
Yes it may not break for you. But they scare me. Though a lot of their issues only show if you buy the un-sprung version. A normal un-sprung clutch has a completely different center section from a sprung clutch. On the spec ones I've seen they just put steel spacers where the springs should have gone. Normal mode of failure is either the spacers fall out, or the spring retainers rip out.

I've got all my clutch parts coming in today ACT part number 6224222 with a sach's pressure plate. Thats the 6 puck sprung ceramic race clutch friction disk from the issusu ld9 with a stock pressure plate. We'll get a good review, hopefully this will have more clutch feel than the zero clutch feel my stock clutch has.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:41 PM
My spec stage 3 died today after 25k miles...

i'd like a luk stage 4... but a bully stage 4 is my second choice...

Scott: how quick can you get them out?

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:18 PM
I am putting down over 500 ft lbs with my bully stg 4 6 puck.

Monday, September 26, 2011 10:50 AM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote: I've got all my clutch parts coming in today ACT part number 6224222 with a sach's pressure plate. Thats the 6 puck sprung ceramic race clutch friction disk from the issusu ld9 with a stock pressure plate.

will this work on a 97 2.2?
Monday, September 26, 2011 11:00 AM
Jordan wrote:I'm also looking to change out the clutch on my 2.4... Spec stage1 is starting to slip a bit, only in first gear higher rpm's... doesn't have enough pull to slip it in gears above that. Just recently started slipping, not sure how many miles on the clutch. Looking to add some power here in the near future as well.

This makes no sense... The way to really load a clutch is in a high gear at maximum engine torque... You'll never see this in first gear because the gearing in the trans gives the engine the torque advantage.

There has to be another issue here.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:46 PM
I went on a limb and put the act six puck in and exedy stock pressure plate. It was seriously a bargain. In total I spent 250.00 and sold the exedy clutch disc that came with it, so I ended up spending 200. I'm boosted and Im constantly am hard on my car. I love this clutch setup and recommend it to anyone!!!

Monday, October 03, 2011 10:17 AM
tony buntjer wrote:I went on a limb and put the act six puck in and exedy stock pressure plate. It was seriously a bargain. In total I spent 250.00 and sold the exedy clutch disc that came with it, so I ended up spending 200. I'm boosted and Im constantly am hard on my car. I love this clutch setup and recommend it to anyone!!!

Good to know someone is running this with success! My ideas are always theories until someone tries them.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Monday, October 03, 2011 5:46 PM
Ya I love it and for the price you can't beat it.

Monday, October 03, 2011 8:45 PM
I was running that setup in my car when I had the blower on the car with no issues, for about 8 months and now I'm n/a again. Once the turbo is in and I bump the power up from 249 to 350+whp we'll see how it goes. Roofy iirc is 300+whp and has had no issues thus far.

Monday, October 03, 2011 10:36 PM
Ya roofy was kinda the one who talked me into it after reading how good of luck he had. I would suggest tho maybe an supermarket pressure plate to. I mean the disc is good but the pressure plate is inconsistent sometimes.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 12:15 AM
Ya roofy was kinda the one who talked me into it after reading how good of luck he had. I would suggest tho maybe an supermarket pressure plate to. I mean the disc is good but the pressure plate is inconsistent sometimes.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search