2003 cavalier clutch problem - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2003 cavalier clutch problem
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:36 AM
I went to shift on the highway the pedal when to the floor didn't come back up. It's more like the slave cylinder went out or is the line going to the slave more likely the problem. if you had this please help... I have replaced the engine in the car in 2010 and i had a used trans with 6,000 miles on it so used the clutch from it and slave cylinder..

Re: 2003 cavalier clutch problem
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:11 PM
sounds like slave cylnder... any fluid leaking anywhere?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:12 PM
Although a bad slave with usually leak (mine did) they can have internal leaks past the seals and you will get the same symptoms. To check for this disconnect the slave. If your clutch pedal moves when you try to push it down you have an internally leaking master, if not you have an internally leaking slave.

If you do have a problem though, you should probably see a leak somewhere.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:24 PM
So your saying disconnect the slave line and push the clutch pedal?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:18 AM
Yes. Unless you see a visual leak somewhere first, then it is obvious.
Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:38 AM
Well i got under the car after get it towed home there fluid up near the slave cylinder. I was wondering what the easy way to separate the trans from the engine i real don't want to pull the whole engine again. what do you guy think i need to all replace beside the slave cylinder on the car because i have heard on this site of people change everything the clutch too.
Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:25 PM
I had this happen to my 04 Cavy a few months ago. Exact same thing...went to shift gears from 5th down to 4th in traffic at 70mph, clutch pedal went down, never came back up.
Pulled over (some how safely...), and it was running the whole time, I was affraid to turn it off (it was 100degrees here in TX).
At first I didnt see ANY fluid on the ground.
Then after pulling the pedal back up, I hand pumped it a few times, got pressure, went to put it down to change gears again and it went down once, wouldnt come back up.
i got under, and fluid was everywhere.
After 5 hours of waiting (insurance was giving me problems sending a truck out), then a friend bringing me more fluid so i could 'limp' it home, i finally got a tow.
Guy takes it to his shop, says its the slave most likely.
Then says it might be the master.
So he puts in a brand new slave, master, clutch and a whole kit, flywheel, then its working. I take it home and it sticks to the floor again. This happened about 5x, im pissed off.
Then he noticed the reservoir running low, turned out the reservoir on my old setup he used, was leaking at the hose at the base of the reservoir.
After he put a new reservoir with a hose attached from an 03 i gave him, he bled it and everything worked great. So air in thel ine was causing it (the 2nd time it happened). Hes saying the Master was the problem the first time.
Just be careful taking your hose attached to the reservoir off, its not meant to ever come off after initially installed. From OEM, they dont sell them seperate normally, and it should be part of the master cylinder setup.

I have my link on here somewhere, Ill follow this and see how it turns out. Long story short, air in my line caused it the second time, anyways.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, September 26, 2011 9:54 AM
I actually have a small hose clamp on the line coming from the reservoir to prevent this from happening.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Monday, September 26, 2011 11:26 AM
well you can take the reservoir off.You just need to take the rubber piece off the reservoir and put in the rubber hose then put it back together i found that out... but I replaced the slave cylinder with a wagner saturday the bell housing was covered in fuild so cleaned it out 3 hours later still not clutch, So I think the master went out too getting it today. i am hoping this fixs the problem because parts are not cheap for this car seen i have owned this car the engine throw a rod so got a used engine with 55,000 mile for 200 dallors then the cat went bad 300 dallors. when i replaced the engine i had the whole clutch from a used tranmission with 6,000 miles on it for 125 off ebay. replaced alot of wheel bearing on the driver side but yeah some how i still love my car even know its a headace for the most part and this fix so far the slave was 78.14 at auto value the part today is 84.57 for the master.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search