Let me pick your brains - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Let me pick your brains
Thursday, September 08, 2011 6:12 AM
I'll try and describe this as best I can...

Driving up a slight hill in 4th gear, I'm at maybe 2800 RPM, car is running fine, then slight hesitation and then it gets low on power, but in the drivetrain it sounds like a muffled thumping sound, like "dudududududud." I downshift to 3rd then back to 4th and it's fine again.

Pull up to the light, get ready to go again, hit 1st, slip the clutch like normal and then all of a sudden it was like the clutch disengages on its own and car stalls. Fire it back up and hit 1st again, pull out fine, going up the hill towards where I work in 2nd gear, starts stuttering again then goes away.

Car's got 92k on the motor and trans, there is 44k on the clutch/resurfaced flywheel/master cyl/slave cyl. Car still runs fine as far as the motor goes, feels like it's in the driveline somewhere.

I can't tell if it's something in the clutch or the tranny or axles or wheel bearings or what, so I'm throwing it out to see if anyone here has a starting point for me.

Thanks!

Dan

Dan Trump

2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red

Re: Let me pick your brains
Thursday, September 08, 2011 6:57 AM
It dosen't sound like a transmission problem to me. What it sound like is either a low RPM misfire or a clogged fuel filter.
Thursday, September 08, 2011 7:53 AM
The more I think about, I'm leaning more towards that. The only thing that threw me off was the clutch disengaging, but it was on a hill so may be a coincidence that I let off the pedal too fast.

Dan Trump

2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red
Friday, September 23, 2011 5:51 PM
i would check your catalytic converter my car had it get pluged and wouldn`t go over 3000rpm and would go throw alot of gas.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search