clutch problems - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
clutch problems
Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:09 PM
hi i have a 97 cavalier 2.2 5 speed 230.xxx miles or so. clutch seems good its not stiff or spongie. my problem is dertermining whats wrong with it, if it is the slave cylinder or what.. what happend was i pulled out of a gas station everything was good till i tried shifting into 3rd, its like im not pushing in the clutch wouldnt go in gear. well i made it home. if i shut if off and put it in 1st push the cluch in and start it, it lurches till i hit the brakes it wont stall but will act like it wants to, if i let the clutch out it stalls. if i start it in nuetral i cant get it in gear. the line that goes into the tranny for the clutch i can move in and out a few inches also i think it may be the bleeder thats right above the line it moves to. its not leaking any fluid and the cluch pedal is the same nothings changed. has any one have had this problem.. ive been told its the slave cylinder i just want to make sure what the problem is... thanks for ur time

Re: clutch problems
Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:30 AM
Did you check the fluid level?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:20 PM
yea its full.. im replacing the slave cylinder this weekend
Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:26 PM
I'm having a similar problem. Won't shift because the pedal drops to the floor. If I pump the clutch pedal and get some pressure, it will shift. I see no leaks anywhere. If it was either master or slave cylinder, wouldn't I see a leak?
Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:43 AM
Hey guys i am having close to the same problem i had replaced the motor, and the clutch kit... then the master cylinder... now i need to replace the slave again... how hard was it to replace your slave cylinder... do you have to completly drop the tranny???
Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:23 PM
William Wentz wrote:Hey guys i am having close to the same problem i had replaced the motor, and the clutch kit... then the master cylinder... now i need to replace the slave again... how hard was it to replace your slave cylinder... do you have to completly drop the tranny???

Yes.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, January 29, 2012 2:39 PM
yes to change the slave the trans must be removed, but a lot of your problems may be either air in the system (bleed it ) or in one case i had a 95 2.2 that i had the same problems with and found there was a very small hole in the master cylinder line that led to it pulling air.
Sunday, February 05, 2012 9:42 PM
Yeah, try bleeding the system first, but I had that on my 04 LSS last year, pedal went and stayed at the floor, slave went. trans must be completely dropped.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search