LSD's And Clutches - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LSD's And Clutches
Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:40 PM
I LOVE my bulley clutch.
I have a stage 4 6 puck and love it. I have personally installed 6 bulley clutches and not one of them has had any issues, hell, none of them have even needed replacement yet. Some of them being in for about 5 years already with much more than stock power.
Spec on the other hand. I've had to replace 4-5 of them because the springs keep falling out of the pressure plates. They NEVER engage at the same point either. It really is a guessing game with them.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:57 PM
newt wrote:
I wish ACT made clutches for the Ecotec

They make friction disks. Throw one of the 6 pucks with a good stock replacement pressure plate and that'll hold ya to the 300 hp neighborhood at least, might have to go 4 puck to get to 400 though.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:20 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:
newt wrote:

They make friction disks. Throw one of the 6 pucks with a good stock replacement pressure plate and that'll hold ya to the 300 hp neighborhood at least, might have to go 4 puck to get to 400 though.

Over 300+ hp and trq and still holding together so far!!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:31 PM
I have a SPEC stage 2 with just bolt ons and I really hate it. I echo most of whats been said before about them. I am going with a rebuilt OBX and either clutch-masters or Bully stage 3 on my NA build this spring.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:45 AM
Its N/A. Unless you are going to be running slicks I see no reason to run anything but the stock clutch. Even at the 250 hp range that I was at the stock clutch loved life. Had no problem with 2nd gear redline clutch dump burnouts.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the T/G love guys!

If it was me, and I had endless money..... Quaife all the way! Next would be the OBX (modified), cause lets face it, a real LSD > an Insert any day (even if its my own). The T/G insert is great for guys on a budget. No bearings to replace, no reshiming needed, no trips to the machine shop. Its cheap, easy to install, and gets the job done. (plus I'm a great guy!)

As far as clutches go..... I've ran Spec, my dad ran Spec, my brother ran Spec..... Tom and Chris both ran Spec......... I HATE SPEC! Clutch engaugement was never the same twice (in my stage 3, as well as others). My dad's stage 2 failed on a stock 2.8 in a fiero, in about a year. The springs broke apart and fell out. My brother's Spec (custom stage 4? from Karo) was the only one that didnt give us problems (other then being installed backwards once or twice..... DOH!)

Jake Drew (GreenZ) ran the ACT, and I loved the clutch feel. It engauged in the same place each and every time.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:03 AM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:
newt wrote:

PISS!! I wish I knew that!

I looked on their website and they have nothing listed? Link to product line up?

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:20 AM
Your text to link here...

Hopefully that link works.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:07 PM
There is no link...lol

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:20 PM
Well thats weird. Its any clutch disk with a 14 spline 1" diam input shaft and a disk diameter of 8.891 (that last number may be wrong I know its 8.something inches and its on the upper end of 8, you'll only have 1 option thats even close though). Its easiest to find them like that on summit.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 2:05 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:Well thats weird. Its any clutch disk with a 14 spline 1" diam input shaft and a disk diameter of 8.891 (that last number may be wrong I know its 8.something inches and its on the upper end of 8, you'll only have 1 option thats even close though). Its easiest to find them like that on summit.

ACT p/n# 6224222

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:12 AM
^like a boss

Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:50 PM
Son of a bitch....well I'm pissed now...lol

Hmm ACT clutch and LUK pressure plate over the winter perhaps them.

God damnit.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:55 AM
TG LSD and new LUK clutch set in my 01 Z. Awesome combo for my car around 300 hp. Never slipped and always same engagement.

Clutch disc still looks great and its going back in when the motor and trans go back together. If I ever need to replace the disc its getting a 6 puck and thats it.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:10 AM
spec stage 3+ here... has held multiple 12 sec passes.

I likes it.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:31 AM
I have a spec 3+ in my car. It replaced a clutch-masters stage 2 when I did the Getrag swap.

Took some getting used to as the engagement is like a switch, either off or on. Its damn near always engaged near the middle of the throw.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search