Intermediate / Jack Shaft - Page 3 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:49 PM
Roofy wrote:

If anyone has an intermediate shaft they want to get rid of, PM me.


I already called first dibs within the first couple posts!!!!!

Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Thursday, February 23, 2012 2:13 PM
I think there were a few more at the local yard. I will send one of my guys there this weekend and see if they cant grab them.

I am thinking the price would be $150 for the assem.

Mark


http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:12 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:

Has anyone tried to rebuild one??



I did... Got a bearing by crossing numbers at napa.



Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:28 PM
Alex Richards wrote:

Leafy wrote:

Yeah. I have a feeling though that the jack shaft shown isnt thick enough.


Its nearly twice as thick as the axles its connected to.


I measured both of my jack shafts at 37.75mm in diameter. My axles are 24mm

What I failed to realize until recently is that jack shaft mounting flanges are different



I believe the top one is from a 90 Olds Calais ( none of the bolt holes line up to my LD9 ) and I am not sure which car the bottom one is from ( but the bolt holes lines up ). My Isuzu is still in my Cav, so I will have to test both to see which one fits



Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:41 PM
^ Bottom is from 95-97 j body with 2.3/2.4. Thats the same one I used on my getrag equipped car.






Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Friday, February 24, 2012 6:46 AM
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Friday, February 24, 2012 9:16 AM
Bobby Higgins wrote:

Roofy wrote:

If anyone has an intermediate shaft they want to get rid of, PM me.


I already called first dibs within the first couple posts!!!!!


Bobby Higgins has dibs on one of mine

Alex Richards wrote:

Blwn LD9 wrote:

Has anyone tried to rebuild one??



I did... Got a bearing by crossing numbers at napa.


Do you remember the part number for the bearing??




Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Friday, February 24, 2012 9:59 AM
Blwn LD9 wrote:

Bobby Higgins wrote:

Roofy wrote:

If anyone has an intermediate shaft they want to get rid of, PM me.


I already called first dibs within the first couple posts!!!!!


Bobby Higgins has dibs on one of mine

Alex Richards wrote:

Blwn LD9 wrote:

Has anyone tried to rebuild one??



I did... Got a bearing by crossing numbers at napa.


Do you remember the part number for the bearing??


No but even if you just get the dimensions its a pretty common single roller ball bearing.

Calling SKF would be your best bet, get a number from them from either the number on the old one or give them dimensions and they can shoot you back a part number you can take to napa.



Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Friday, February 24, 2012 10:09 AM
Blwn LD9 wrote:

Alex Richards wrote:

Leafy wrote:

Yeah. I have a feeling though that the jack shaft shown isnt thick enough.


Its nearly twice as thick as the axles its connected to.


I measured both of my jack shafts at 37.75mm in diameter. My axles are 24mm

What I failed to realize until recently is that jack shaft mounting flanges are different



I believe the top one is from a 90 Olds Calais ( none of the bolt holes line up to my LD9 ) and I am not sure which car the bottom one is from ( but the bolt holes lines up ). My Isuzu is still in my Cav, so I will have to test both to see which one fits


The upper shaft bracket looks like sheet metal.
This would be easier to modify than the cast bracket!
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Friday, February 24, 2012 10:13 AM
It is sheet metal... but cast is really no more difficult to modify than sheet metal.

So for the work it would take to find one and then cut the majority of that sheet metal away (while having to worry about deforming the bearing enclosure when welding) The cast is a much more viable and stronger option.



Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:06 PM
Ale, how did you push the bearing out of the shaft? I have so much play in this unit I got from the yard. The end seal is easy, looks like an ordinary input shaft seal. Just wondering on the bearing. Did you press the shaft out?


http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/

Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Thursday, March 01, 2012 3:50 PM
The shaft has to be pressed out of the bearing towards the longer side (The side opposite the seal) This will remove the dirt deflector from that side of the bearing housing and expose the inner C-Clip. Once this clip is removed the bearing can be pressed out in the same direction from the housing. Easy peasy!



Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:21 PM
Sweet, Ill knock it out now.

Mark


http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Thursday, March 01, 2012 4:43 PM
Alex u da man. I can get these replacement bearings for $45 shipped.

Took me 10 min.









http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:20 PM
Alex Richards wrote:

The shaft has to be pressed out of the bearing towards the longer side (The side opposite the seal) This will remove the dirt deflector from that side of the bearing housing and expose the inner C-Clip. Once this clip is removed the bearing can be pressed out in the same direction from the housing. Easy peasy!


Sweet. Thanks for the info. I should be able to press mine out at work




Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:51 PM
How much are you guys finding these jack shafts for?


SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
RACER X - '80 Chevette Quad 4 Swap

TeamGREENPerformance LSD Inserts
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:47 AM
I still dont like the idea of a cast welded bracket.
From a metalurgy stand point it just doesnt seem right.
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:42 AM
Any interested in the top jackshaft in the picture below?? Bobby Higgins has dibs on it first






Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:12 PM
^ I might be interested in the top one. It looks like it will bolt to my 3400. Any idea what it came from?






Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:31 AM
So I got my shaft in the mail yesterday.
The sheet metal bracket jack shaft has a bearing that measures 30mm ID x 62mm OD x 16mm Thick
Im not sure if this is the same dim. for the cast iron bracket bearing.
But if so, I found a part number.
McMaster-Carr 5972K47 $9.95
McMaster-Carr
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:40 AM
Sorry, my catalog must be wrong.
In stock for $11.84 each.

Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:00 PM
Bobby Higgins wrote:

So I got my shaft in the mail yesterday.
The sheet metal bracket jack shaft has a bearing that measures 30mm ID x 62mm OD x 16mm Thick
Im not sure if this is the same dim. for the cast iron bracket bearing.
But if so, I found a part number.
McMaster-Carr 5972K47 $9.95
McMaster-Carr


That sounds correct for the cast bracket as well. I believe that was the size I went after.

And for those wondering the standard trans output seal that works for the axle seals on the auto's and manuals is the same seal that goes in the cast bracket on the jack shaft.



Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Sunday, March 25, 2012 3:33 PM
I went to install the shaft today and noticed that the slots are not in line with the holes on the block. I checked to make sure that the bearing was all the way pressed in, sure was. I am thinking with the Quaife LSD that the slots need to be longer.

Mark


http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:36 PM
OverKill All The Way!!!!! wrote:

I went to install the shaft today and noticed that the slots are not in line with the holes on the block. I checked to make sure that the bearing was all the way pressed in, sure was. I am thinking with the Quaife LSD that the slots need to be longer.

Mark

The jack shaft is designed to be used for an isuzu, not the getrag... they have different spacing between the input and output shafts so the bracket will not work or will need to be modified to fit on an ld9 with the getrag F23. this is why the spacing is off.



Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Re: Intermediate / Jack Shaft
Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:39 PM
Got it. Machined the slots longer and the backside had to be milled 3mm. All good now.

Mark


http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search