Traction control question 4T40E - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Traction control question 4T40E
Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:26 PM
Ive never owned a Z24 cavalier or even driven one before today. I found one that looks and drives really nice, but I noticed there is a different shifter than the Sunfire GTs and theres no traction control button(its a 97).
I've always left mine OFF in the sunfire, and have never had a problem with the transmissions, and the 'cult rumor' is that driving regularly with it ON isn't good for the transmission. And just from my own experience driving in the snow with it ON REALLY sucks lol.

anyways. Here is my question.
Does the Cavalier have the traction control feature? If yes, is it just always on? or did I just not see the button somewhere? Id really like to figure this out before I think about buying this car this week.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. all the 5 Speed buffs out there who are going to offer the ever helpful 'don't bother just change it to a 5 speed' please don't reply lol thanks

Re: Traction control question 4T40E
Tuesday, October 04, 2011 5:55 PM
Not really sure why anyone would say just change it to a 5 speed, that wouldn’t help anything. No, the Cavalier you looked at does not have traction control. It is just not "on" all the time, it does not have this feature equipped.
Both vehicles have a ton of similarities since it is built on the same platform but what most don’t realize is Pontiac was "pitched" as a higher brand then Chevy. This resulted in selectively placed "better" materials and options for the model. Granted it is some peoples opinion there is no difference, but if you asked GM that was not the case.
Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:15 PM
All 4t40e's have traction control. No exceptions that I can think of. Pulling the emergency brake up one click, locking it in first or second, or in some cases installing a shiftplus will shut it off.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:00 AM
colt45 wrote:All 4t40e's have traction control. No exceptions that I can think of. Pulling the emergency brake up one click, locking it in first or second, or in some cases installing a shiftplus will shut it off.

Correct.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 7:59 AM
The Z24 has traction control. For some reason they never gave the cavalier's the push button. I thought the sunfires push button was for overdrive, not traction control. I could be wrong.

Using HPT you can change the settings on traction control, to disable it, or to come on differently.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 8:47 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:
colt45 wrote:All 4t40e's have traction control. No exceptions that I can think of. Pulling the emergency brake up one click, locking it in first or second, or in some cases installing a shiftplus will shut it off.

Correct.

Ok. If they all have it and theres no on/off button on the cavalier for it, how do I disable it? or Can I add the on/off button without needing to remove the transmission? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I have no idea how this feature works internally/electronically.

All I know is unless i'm driving on straightish, dry roads, it sucks dick and doesn't help traction at all.(At least in the Sunfire GTs) Not to mention if you try going up hill in the snow the dash flashes 'LOW TRACTION' and the wheels stop spinning... wtf?

If I click the ebrake one click, won't that prevent the lockout plate from engaging when it needs to on the highway?
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 6:58 PM
Using HPT you can change the settings on traction control, to disable it, or to come on differently.

FU Tuning

Thursday, October 06, 2011 6:15 AM
I've never had the wheels stop spinning before. The shiftplus on stage 2 comes close to completely disabling it. It still kills a bit of power to prevent wheelspin, but it is easily defeated with more throttle, I managed to do a burnout from 1st to 3rd at the track this summer. HPT is by far the best method though. And sunfires got the push button because they were the higher priced car.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:28 AM
Traction control is suppose to stop the wheels from spinning, so you can get traction. They posted you can shut it off by pulling up the e-brake 1 click.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, October 06, 2011 4:58 PM
It shouldn't completely stop the wheels, it should slow them by cutting power. If they completely stop, something is wrong.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 7:55 PM
you obviously have never driven in a PA snowstorm lol. Both of mine do that and the one I had before did as well. I'm 99% sure nothings 'wrong' I talked to a dealer like 5 or 6 years ago when I got my first one and he said it was just a bad design because if neither wheel can find traction they both stop spinning, and not knowing anything about it I trusted him and drove with it off and never had a transmission issue.
The roads are really slick here in the winter because they just dump a ton of salt and let it refreeze for 12 hours which is dumb considering most of the northern states use sand and non skid pellets from what I hear. lol but thats a whole nother rant.

Friday, October 07, 2011 6:09 AM
Sounds like the average winter day around here. We just drive for the conditions. If it is able to completely stop the wheels, then they can't be moving that fast. Locking it in first gear would fix that easy enough. I've had mine in snow up to the windows and it never stopped completely. Our traction control isn't that smart. Just lift up on the throttle a bit when it tries to come on and it usually shuts off.

Monday, October 10, 2011 4:36 AM
I'm 100% sure my tires never "stopped" spinning when traction control is on. I have done more than my fair share of donuts, and driving in snow storms in my z24. I use to live in the "snow belt." I lived down the road from Apline valley ski resort. I have driven is a @!#$ ton of snow.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, October 10, 2011 7:53 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I'm 100% sure my tires never "stopped" spinning when traction control is on. I have done more than my fair share of donuts, and driving in snow storms in my z24. I use to live in the "snow belt." I lived down the road from Apline valley ski resort. I have driven is a @!#$ ton of snow.

Exactly. I live in Nova Scotia, and I have never once even heard of the tires completely stopping. Slowing down yes, but not stopping. The traction control in the GT is the same as every other j body. If drive doesn't get you up the hill, a lower gear will. I climbed up a mountain pass in an ice storm last year without any problems. Wanted a good spot to watch the snowmobile drivers try to race up it. Don't rely on the traction control, learn to drive the car.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:00 AM
lol thats my whole point of asking this question. I was looking at a z24 Cavalier and since it didn't have an on/off button I didn't want to get it if the traction control couldn't be turned off.
Both of my Sunfires go great in the snow with it off. It trudges right along and the super tight steering these cars have(compared to my jeeps lol) makes it easy to keep straight while the drive wheel is digging you along.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search