Getrag 5 speed trans noise - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getrag 5 speed trans noise
Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:32 PM
The other week my trans started making a noise. Best I can describe it is a hum, like when your driving knobby off-road tires on pavement except more of a metal/mechanical sound. It gets louder the faster I go up to around 45 mph and then it seems to stay about the same, maybe the pitch changes a little higher. Happens with the clutch in or out, no noticeable diff in volume while in different gears and its there if I'm accelerating or coasting.

A little background on the trans, its not original, I had a used trans put in about 5 months after buying the car (2006), previous owner trashed the trans. At that time I put in a SPEC flywheel and stage 2 clutch. The flywheel separated from the crank in 2007, driving back to work on my lunch. I was on a budget and couldn't replace the trans and the shop didn't see a reason to so they welded up the holes it had punched in the case and I prayed it would hold together. The trans was never the same but it worked and hasn't given me any problems up until now.

Unfortunately I am pretty clueless about transmissions and I don't want to go to a trans shop just for them to say it needs to be replaced. Any ideas whats going on or suggestions on things I should have a shop look for? I did a quick search on here but didn't see anything about a noise which stuck around with the clutch disengaged.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Re: Getrag 5 speed trans noise
Monday, October 17, 2011 5:40 AM
sure it is the tranny and not a wheel bearing?

FU Tuning

Monday, October 17, 2011 10:36 AM
Sounds alot like a wheel bearing to me....

Monday, October 17, 2011 10:51 AM
Get it jacked up and the wheels spinning and see if the noise disappears...

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:48 AM
I had assumed it was the trans bc the noise is coming from directly in front of me, front left. I didn't really think of a wheel bearing, I know one of them was replaced about a year ago, think it was front right. If I wake up early enough I'll jack it up and spin the wheels.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:36 AM
Another way to check the wheel bearing. Go out driving and make a pretty solid right turn. If the noise goes away, its your left front wheel bearing. Same thing for the other side, make a decent solid left turn and if it goes away, its the right front. Basically when you load it up by turning the opposite direction of the wheel bearing, it puts stress on that bearing and eliminates the noise.

Also, when you jack it up, grab the tire and pull on it and wiggle it and look for loose that way too.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:56 AM
I have never been able to diagnose a wheel bearig by having the wheels up in the air and spinning them. Usually been by driving the car and making turns when you can hear the noise and listen for a change in the noise when you turn.

Or by taking the bearing off the car and spinning it in my hand.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:12 AM
Its getting noticeably worse, I am going to stop by a local shop tomorrow before work to see what they say.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:32 AM
Good luck and hide all your blank checks.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:23 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:I have never been able to diagnose a wheel bearig by having the wheels up in the air and spinning them. Usually been by driving the car and making turns when you can hear the noise and listen for a change in the noise when you turn.

The point is to eliminate the possibility of a wheel bearing being the issue. Not to diagnose it as a wheel bearing... if the noise goes away, its NOT the trans unless your talking a bad bearing that needs to be under load.

I would bet the case alignment is screwed and a bearing is shot.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:04 PM
Alex Richards wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:I have never been able to diagnose a wheel bearig by having the wheels up in the air and spinning them. Usually been by driving the car and making turns when you can hear the noise and listen for a change in the noise when you turn.

The point is to eliminate the possibility of a wheel bearing being the issue. Not to diagnose it as a wheel bearing... if the noise goes away, its NOT the trans unless your talking a bad bearing that needs to be under load.

I would bet the case alignment is screwed and a bearing is shot.

Ok. I did not think of it like that.

FU Tuning

Monday, October 24, 2011 5:43 PM
Finally got it in the shop today, It was the wheel bearing. 100K miles for the original wheel bearing wasn't bad. They did check the trans fluid, said there was some "gook" at the plug but they cleaned it up and put new fluid in. Thanks for the help guys.

Monday, October 24, 2011 6:34 PM
good glad you got it fixed.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search