F35 on a LD9??? - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: F35 on a LD9???
Monday, November 28, 2011 8:54 AM
Boosted2point4 wrote:i pulled my trans apart and my tips were my problem in my f23. i made 551whp and 475tq with probably 15 hits with slicks leaving at 6k rpm and i was on stock axles and obx diff.

Not to get too far off topic, but has anyone looked into better or stronger tips for the F23??

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren

Monday, November 28, 2011 9:00 AM
Yes, Ben Wenzel Jr made bronze tips, and it is rumored that some F23s have bronze tips.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, November 28, 2011 5:17 PM
jmarks82 wrote:
unruhjonny wrote:... you guys do realize that the hp (per say) isn't the determining factor right?
Torque is key.
That's not to suggest that a 600hp car doesn't make torque - but a (I'm just going to pick on you for a moment Tinkles- please don't take offense) 220whp car probably doesn't make in excess of 320 ft-lbs of torque...
LNF's with GMS1 make 320tq with no other modifications - and a modded tuned LNF (the platform that sees these percieved flaws with the F35) makes in excess of 400ft-lbs...

that is all... please continue this discussion.

My car makes over 500 wtq...f23 ftw!

I'm not doubting you;
There are many situations where in which a transmission is "living" behind an engine that makes power well beyond it's torque rating - I'm thinking there are many V8 swapped Fieros which would be good examples...

also I'm guessing that you fall into a group of people whom I would suspect to have a clue as to how to drive & what you can or cannot do... lemme repeat myself;
Quote:

... I would suspect that the people who have built up F23 cars also have a clue how to drive, and know what they should not do to grenade their transmission

the fact that you're talking about pulling the transmission to inspect it would further this suspicion...
the fact that boosted2point4 had the forsight to pull his transmission after but fifteen runs - would yet again confirm my suspicion...

good discussion going on here!

signatures are for loosers.
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:30 AM
The f23 in the car now has seen 12 runs down the track, launching at 5500 rpms. When ever we take the car out it is safe to say we aren't easy on it, lol. We have ahd pretty good luck with f23's so thats why I will be swapping one with an lsd in my turbo swapped ss/sc. My f35 has 110k on it, with 8k of that turbo'd. Doesn't seem to be missing a beat. I just don't think its worth the hassle of swapping it in to a cav with custom mounts and possibly axles just to have the case crack down the road. I know you can get a f35 rebuild and it will stand up a little better but for 2k....

Nope!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:19 AM
jmarks82 wrote:The f23 in the car now has seen 12 runs down the track, launching at 5500 rpms. When ever we take the car out it is safe to say we aren't easy on it, lol. ...

hmm maybe you're misunderstanding me;

First, I'm not advocating that you change anything.

Second, (imho) there is a huge difference between a knowledgeable person driving a car down the 1320 and some punk bagging the living bejezzes out of a car on the street/track...

Are you just choosing to play 'devil's advocate' and trying to suggest that you're as abusive in your F23 as some of the LNF punks are?
~ becasue if you're not, I don't understand the angle you have from the last post...

signatures are for loosers.
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:10 PM
unruhjonny wrote:
jmarks82 wrote:The f23 in the car now has seen 12 runs down the track, launching at 5500 rpms. When ever we take the car out it is safe to say we aren't easy on it, lol. ...

hmm maybe you're misunderstanding me;

First, I'm not advocating that you change anything.

Second, (imho) there is a huge difference between a knowledgeable person driving a car down the 1320 and some punk bagging the living bejezzes out of a car on the street/track...

Are you just choosing to play 'devil's advocate' and trying to suggest that you're as abusive in your F23 as some of the LNF punks are?
~ becasue if you're not, I don't understand the angle you have from the last post...

All i am saying is a f23 with just a lsd is better than a f35 with an lsd. The f23 seems to hold more hp/tq with less modification (regardless of the driver) and it would be pointless to try and retrofit a f35 in cav. That is all!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:35 PM
I'm with Jmarks here. The F23 might not be bullet proof, but it seems to have far less problems compared to the F35. Replace the diff and no longer worry about spider gears. Once into gear, the shift forks aren't an issue either (replacing the tips could be a permanent solution). No case cracks, no gear failures......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:11 PM
god damn you 500+ boys need to get out there and race more! LOL 15 runs in a year? we usually get 25+ runs a NIGHT out here.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:16 PM
Well I have averaged 6, 12 hr shifts this year at work, hard to do anything that 6th day or any day of the week. Plus my brother is working full time and going to school full time.

Sucks being grown up!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search