swapping the f23 with a new one - Page 2 - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: swapping the f23 with a new one
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:02 PM
CaliforniaDomestics wrote: Just be sure you don'd hang the trans off the input shaft otherwise your clutch hub will be ruined.

yep just installed my freshly rebuilt tranny and i realize i now have this problem. Can any of you guys advise me how to fix the clutch hub now...will i need entire clutch kit, or can i get buy with just a clutch and keep my pressure plate. i want to keep it as cheap as possible, any advice is appreciated

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:54 PM
also maybe get a diff insert, since you will have the case apart, LSD is nice
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:43 PM
_ ECOtecer_ wrote:
CaliforniaDomestics wrote: Just be sure you don'd hang the trans off the input shaft otherwise your clutch hub will be ruined.

yep just installed my freshly rebuilt tranny and i realize i now have this problem. Can any of you guys advise me how to fix the clutch hub now...will i need entire clutch kit, or can i get buy with just a clutch and keep my pressure plate. i want to keep it as cheap as possible, any advice is appreciated

Unfortunately you will be required to purchase a new clutch. The hubs are typically assembled with enormous rivet-like shenanigans. You also stand the chance now of tossing a spring which which leads to bigger and poopier situations. I would recommend getting that clutch out of there asap

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Saturday, December 03, 2011 8:45 PM
well i woulda had to swap internals to the opposite case...the case halves indeed are NOT swappable...the entire case has to be swap. and that means replacing all the seals and stuff...

Sunday, December 04, 2011 5:35 PM
Glad I found this post. I need to remove my f23 cause one of the differential bearings went bad. Is it possible to remove the tranny without taking off the cross member? Gonna be my first time, trying to avoid any surprises. Any tips would be appreciated.
Monday, December 05, 2011 11:17 AM
search man....I have never done it before...im still researching...

but on that note. we completely tore down the delta f23 i had, and it seems pretty straight forward. for the intermediate shaft bolt we had to heat is up 3 or 4 times before we could get it out, and we didnt even try to take out the 2 bolts holding the gears in on the other side. we just pounded out the whole bearing assembly. we did this just becuase. i know it is not the proper way to do it. does anyone have any tips on how to remove these three bolts more easily?

we had everything out of the case, and then put it all back together without and special tools or anything like that. the hardest part was the 2 bearing we had to pound out for the shafts.

Friday, February 03, 2012 11:45 AM
Well, Ill be ordering my trans this weekend, and hopefully doing the install in a couple weeks at my buddies transmission shop. I have axles seals, and 3 qt's of ATF. i think i might buy mobil one synthetic ATF for it though. not sure. What ATF do you guys recommend? I might might might replace the TOB while in there. depends on if i can find a inexpensive on or not. what do you guys think?

Sunday, March 04, 2012 12:39 PM
got the trans swapped out. the driver side differential bearing was TOAST!!!! i could more the diff up and downa nd sideways and back and forth inside the transmission....new one feels awesome, just needs a bit more clutch bleeding i think.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search