Short Shifter Problem? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Short Shifter Problem?
Wednesday, December 07, 2011 8:22 PM
Ok so the Z24 i bought had a blown motor in so i put in a used one. Well what seems to be the problem is that its somtimes hard to get into first gear or reverse like i have to giggle the shifter into the gear slot it seems. But when the car is the shifter can go into every gear like its nothing. What can be the cause of this???

Re: Short Shifter Problem?
Thursday, December 08, 2011 2:06 PM
Giggle? Im going to assume you mean wiggle. Sometimes when they are installed incorrectly there is a pivoting part that connects the bottom of the shifter to the shifter linkage, and when moved into either first or reverse it moves to a spot where it can hit the bracket for the shifter and not let you reach that gear.

The easiest thing to do would be to remove the console and just see if anything is hitting anything.
Thursday, December 08, 2011 5:02 PM
ok thanks for the tip!!! yeah see it feels like when i put the shifter into a gear it hits something so that maybe it also i bled the clutch and my clutch still feels spongy according to my friend see this is my first 5 speed car so i dunno any tips on how to bleed?
Friday, December 09, 2011 7:45 PM
from what your describing it sounds like a similar problem that i am having. one day i go out to my car and push in the clutch and have no pressure so i check the fluid and there is none so i fire it up and drive it the short distance to the dealership i work at and it turned out to be a leaking slave cylinder. i bled it and it was ok for a little while, then it started again so i bled it again. 6 months later and i havn't had to do it again and it starts happening. so i leads me to believe that you have some air in the system that is messing with the clutch positioning. do you sometimes have to pump the clutch in between shifts?
Friday, December 09, 2011 8:44 PM
i never had to pump the clutch for pressure and theres plenty fluid in the resevoir but i mean what it is lets say im slowing down and i have to go into first its hard to shift into first because it feels like my shifter is hitting something and when im switching gears its not really a smooth thrust into each gear its like you have to shove it in and when i go to either put it in second or reverse the shifter sometimes only goes in half way and grinds till i put it in. but when the car is not running i can go into gears just fine its only when its running it seems and the clutch seems a little spongy but thats what my friend said this is my first straight shift car so i dunno what that means
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search