isuzu 2.2l differential removal - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
isuzu 2.2l differential removal
Saturday, December 03, 2011 10:20 PM
Ok i dont know anything at all about transmissions but i have a couple extra transaxles in the backyard and was wanting to get the differential out of one of them so i could use it for the team green or phantom grip insert. All the bolts on the bellhousing to the transmission itself are out and the cover on the oppisite side has been taken off what else has to be done to get the differential out?

Re: isuzu 2.2l differential removal
Sunday, December 04, 2011 12:51 PM
if all the bolts are out, precision use of a rubber mallet and a lot of wiggling.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Re: isuzu 2.2l differential removal
Sunday, December 18, 2011 6:31 PM
Jonathan Creel wrote:Ok i dont know anything at all about transmissions but i have a couple extra transaxles in the backyard and was wanting to get the differential out of one of them so i could use it for the team green or phantom grip insert. All the bolts on the bellhousing to the transmission itself are out and the cover on the oppisite side has been taken off what else has to be done to get the differential out?

Hi Jonathon,

1. remove the bolts (3 in a row) that have 17?mm heads on them. they hold the shifter detent springs. There are springs and round steel balls inside that will fall out and disappear.
2. remove the bolt that holds the reverse shaft in place, found under the left side of the trans. 14mm? head.
3. a.Take the outer cover off the left side of the trans (it covers over 5th gear) and
b. remove the big nuts holding 5th gear and syncho in place. You can stuff a rag in between the gear teeth to hold it from turning, or use an impact gun,)
c. Under 5th gear is a bearing retainer plate; remove it (torx bits) and then
d. remove the snap ring around the input shaft (opposite end of the clutch shaft) bearing in the case.
4. Now is when you should have removed all the case bolts. (no flame intended)
5. Look around the outside of the left hand case (non clutch side) and you'll find a few places where you can CAREFULLY hit the case to crack it open. Set the left half of the case aside.
6. Remove the reverse shaft and gear. Also remove the pin that goes through the reverse shift "fork" linkage and remove the "fork"
7. Carefully drive out the 1-2 shift fork roll pin and remove the 1-2 shift fork and rail
8. You may wish to also remove the roll pin holding the 3-4 shift fork
9. Remove the bolts that hold the shift shafts retention plate in place. Please note: There are SEVERAL little pieces under the shift rail plate and within the 5th/reverse shift rail -that have a very important function of preventing you from selecting more that one gear at a time. If you intend to put these trannys back together it's a good idea to pay attention to EXACTLY where they came from.
10. finish removing the shift rails and whatever you have left of the shift forks.
11. wriggle/jiggle the input and output shafts up enough to be able to get the differential/ring gear out. It's actually easier to just remove the two gear shafts, cuz it can be a finger smasher to pull out the differential while the gear shafts are just wiggle out of the way. They tend to fall back into place whenever they detect a hand.
12. My favorite quote when answering questions like this is: reassembly is the reverse of the preceding.
13. 13 is an appropriate number for this point: I'm 56 and sometimes forget stuff. I am also fully qualified to tell people how to do things like this because I've already made all the possible mistakes and have destroyed everything it is possible to destroy while doing it.

Any questions?

dennis
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search