2.2 3spd tranny won't engage - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 3spd tranny won't engage
Monday, December 19, 2011 9:16 PM
ok so the other day, i went to pass a guy and hit the gas in my 2.2 3 speed auto, 2000 cavalier. soon after passing, rpms rammed up while i was on the gas and it was like it was in neutral... I was able to coast to a sideroad but it will not engage in any gear. I had to tow the car home on a trailer and there it sits. Tranny fluid level is fine. Could it be a blown torque converter?, tranny oil pump? or what? just wondering if this happened to anyone else...

This car is my baby, please help, spent the last year redoing the entire car, brand new everything. It may be a ricer but it's my first car and this is already my second tranny, the first one had the sprocket down inside for the speed sensor break causing it to not shift or show on speedo. If anyone knows what this is, hopefully simple, cheap fix, considering i'm near broke, please help me. I don't want to spend 600 on a different tranny right now.
Thanks so much!

Re: 2.2 3spd tranny won't engage
Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:03 PM
The input shaft probably snapped, its a pretty common problem, it can be fixed in the car on three speed trannys, the last time i had it done it cost me $300,
Re: 2.2 3spd tranny won't engage
Friday, December 23, 2011 3:39 PM
Are you sure the shifter is actually moving the tranny into gear?

I have know of issues with the cable (where it connects to the transmission) coming off, and the shifter in the car moves, but it is not doing anything in the engine bay.

Worth checking.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search