Getrag vs Isuzu questions? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Getrag vs Isuzu questions?
Friday, December 23, 2011 8:18 PM
So just so I know, and yes im aware this has been posted before but this website cant go anywhere if we arent allowed to make new posts. so from my understanding the following is true

Isuzu = 99-
Getrag = 00+

so isuzu is for the 2.2 and the getrag is for the 2200.

What i need to know is if they bolt up the same . . . flywheel? to engine? mounts?

and i understand that the getrag is the preffered one, but why? is the isuzu known to fail?

reason i need to know is after a year of searching i finally found a 5 speed in a sunfire with the 2200, and can get it for $100-150 with pedals, shifter, linkage, you know the whole swap setup. so am i right in asumming that being it is on a 2200 that it is a getrag, sorry i forgot to get a year on the car

Re: Getrag vs Isuzu questions?
Friday, December 23, 2011 8:38 PM
Getrag can handle more of a beating and higher horsepower. Its more modern and available.

Bellhousing is the same as long as you going off the same engine. In your case the 2.2 non eco and 2200, yes it will bolt up. HOWEVER, mounts will not match. Not at all. Get a grinder and welder with some measuring tape and utilize the search function a little more.

Friday, December 23, 2011 8:49 PM
thanks for the info, ive been searching but feel more comfortable having it all in one post. so i have an entire car to use besides the engine and hood/bumber/front end damage stuff. so im going to get the tranny, pcm, clutch/linkage/shifter @!#$, axels and what i can get off as far as the mounts go. im assuming thats about what i need, and im 99% positive that its a Getrag. allready got the speedo and drivers window from the car (mine got shot out, along with 50 other windows in dubuque county).

p.s. - Cavaliers for the win when it comes to taking dashes apart, sunfires are a b**ch

Sunday, January 08, 2012 3:33 PM
the isuzu is used on 99- and getrag is 00+ but the 2200 is used 98-02 so both transmission are used on that engine

the getrag and isuzu use different mounting locations ou would need to follow the isuzu to getrag swap. the flywheel is the same but you need the clutch for whatever trans your using also the driverside shaft is good to use but the isuzu passenger shaft is 5/8 longer i had shaft failer using so i switch to a getrag passenger shaft but other have continued to use it.

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:41 PM
Are you wanting to swap auto to getrag or isuzu to getrag? Not sure if that affects anything?

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:15 AM
Rick wrote:Are you wanting to swap auto to getrag or isuzu to getrag? Not sure if that affects anything?
According to his sig, he has an auto, so this is talking about which trans the donor car has for an auto-manual swap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, January 18, 2012 8:16 AM

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 1:28 PM
Chances are, if you got the gauge cluster off the car and it works on yours, its 00+

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search