Just a tip about swapping OHC and OHV transmissions. - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just a tip about swapping OHC and OHV transmissions.
Monday, January 09, 2012 7:24 PM
We had been kicking this subject around on the 1st gen forum and finally figured it out, so I wanted to share it here on the tranny forum.

You CANNOT swap transmissions between 1.8, 2.0 Overhead Cam Engines with 1.8, 2.0& 2.2 Overhead Valve Engines.

Reason is because the starters are mounted on the radiator side of the blocks on Overhead Valve Engines, and starters are mounted on the firewall side of the Overhead Cam Engines. I believe the same problem exists for the 2.4 - LD9 DOHC engine too - the starter on them is on the firewall side.

Hope this saves someone part of a pay check & lost religion out there somewhere!! :-)
As you can see, I've got a Chevy and a Pontiac...and I should have seen this from the start!! .....DUH...LOL

Re: Just a tip about swapping OHC and OHV transmissions.
Monday, January 09, 2012 9:34 PM
Nice Sunbird!

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:10 PM
the 2.4 bellhouseing pattern is WAY different and just and FYI if one were to ask about this we would have told him before buying parts not to do it we've know this for years

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:28 PM
LD9, Quad4, and EcoTec starters are rad/front side not firewall/rear side.

I believe the SOHC 1.8/2.0 use the RWD 2.2/V6 bolt pattern? I forget, we just went over this in another post recently. I've seen them swapped into Chevettes (t-bodies). The starter is on the opposite as the FWD blocks.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:36 PM
Just scrolled down, sure as sheet, I even posted pics of the bell housing bolt patterns and a 2.2/2200 trans. While the starter is on the correct side, it's down low while the SOHC starter is up high. I believe it's Isuzu's bolt pattern (fwd/rwd).

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search